Post Thanks / Like

Default 1st time Troupe Performance tomorrow

I'm excited but more nervous. 'La Mirage' is performing, as part of a fitness program at the North Shore College in Lynn, Ma. 1pm. 3 1/2 routine
    If I get someone to take pictures, I'll be sure to post them. Maybe a glass of wine before might help.?

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with your performance! A glass of wine before surely helps (unless you have to do balancing or something to that effect…)

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I teach a workshop on performing and one of the areas I cover is managing pre performance anxiety. Deep breathing, self acupressure, facial relaxation exercise and more... But one thing you already know how to do that can help is warming up. Before you go out to perform, warm up, for a good ten minutes. Not just little pulsing exercises but a good cardio routine. Use traveling oriental dance steps that build in intensity. We're suppose to do this anyway but it's an excellent way to give all that nervous tension a place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Badriya View Post
    I'm excited but more nervous. 'La Mirage' is performing, as part of a fitness program at the North Shore College in Lynn, Ma. 1pm. 3 1/2 routine
    If I get someone to take pictures, I'll be sure to post them. Maybe a glass of wine before might help.?

Post Thanks / Like

that's a great tip! thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Salome View Post
    I teach a workshop on performing and one of the areas I cover is managing pre performance anxiety. Deep breathing, self acupressure, facial relaxation exercise and more...
    I just wanted to say that about 6 months ago Salome gave me the same excellent advice when I posted a thread about my performance anxiety…

Salome, I took your advice so seriously that in my second choreography, I not only choreographed facial expressions, but breathing exercises as well. At certain parts in my choreo, the breathing was counted to coincide with matching hand and torso movements, and I was reciting this mantra in my head “Breathing in, I feel joy. Breathing out, I smile”. These parts were my “anchor” where I could take refuge in my breath to fight the anxiety and bring myself back to the present moment.

It worked fantastically well. Not only did I appear relaxed outwards, I actually became more relaxed, and I was able to enjoy my time on stage.

So, Badriya, tell us, how did it go??

Post Thanks / Like

yes yes! how did it go?

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Samira! I'm super happy that helped and you felt more relaxed.