The State of the Dance in UK

lizaj

If you think the problem lies with the instructors, then perhaps the instructors should attend classes themselves on how to become better instructors, a teacher training school perhaps. But then there lies a problem, who decides what school is the correct school, as surely as one school springs up, there will be others and there the inter school, whose better than who saga. If that is a way to go, then a controlling body is needed to police these schools to ascertain an accepted standard.

Maybe a controlling body is needed, a body that can also be there to act in such a way to correctly publicise and educate all who are interested in the art form and the culture attached. They could even be a repository for all information and there sort the wheat from the chaff

Yes, perhaps that is the way, BD has been here long enough now, maybe it is time it was controlled, overseen and standards raised, a good way forward.

I am usually opposed to any kind of control, but sometimes it is necessary for the betterment of all.

I wonders though, if there were a governing body, maybe the ASMED instructors would be involved, there improving access for all.

Improving standards is what ASMED and JWAAD is all about.
That isn't to say that there aren't teachers who have done so much to promote the dance who have no "qualification" just a hell of a lot of experience and knowledge to offer.
But not every dancer is inclined to follow a "straightjacket" and one of the beauties of the dance is that we are not tied to one defining way of dancing every step. I know dancers who followed very varied paths to competance as teachers and mentors and they must be valued.
What I really fear are the teachers who operate in a bubble, those who decry every dancer/teacher who is different in style and mission to themsevesout of hand, those who do it just for the "status" of saying they are a teacher and that's before we start on those who haven't a clue about the responsibilites of being a teacher and those who aren't safe!

khanjar

Not all organisations are straight jackets, they only become straight jackets if the members allow that to happen.

If ASMED and JWAAD are all about improving standards, then perhaps one should look towards them for improving the state of dance in the UK, the more that become part of these bodies, the more the ''outsiders'' become isolated.

In time no doubt for insurance purposes, sports venues and other places rented out for the purpose of dance tuition, will ask for membership of recognised accredited bodies, where they will be assured certain criteria is met to avoid liability, if something goes tits up.

With dwindling class attendances, the outsiders will have a choice, give up or seek membership. Membership should only be awarded where an approved standard is met and continued, as a good teacher understands they themselves are constantly learning and will never know it all.

The position of an instructor, is a very responsible position, they are not only responsible for the correct tuition, but more besides, a good teacher should welcome set standards to adhere to, as it promotes the continuance of the thing they teach and there obviously, their continued employment

Last edited:

lizaj

Not all organisations are straight jackets, they only become straight jackets if the members allow that to happen.

If ASMED and JWAAD are all about improving standards, then perhaps one should look towards them for improving the state of dance in the UK, the more that become part of these bodies, the more the ''outsiders'' become isolated.

In time no doubt for insurance purposes, sports venues and other places rented out for the purpose of dance tuition, will ask for membership of recognised accredited bodies, where they will be assured certain criteria is met to avoid liability, if something goes tits up.

With dwindling class attendances, the outsiders will have a choice, give up or seek membership. Membership should only be awarded where an approved standard is met and continued, as a good teacher understands they themselves are constantly learning and will never know it all.

The position of an instructor, is a very responsible position, they are not only responsible for the correct tuition, but more besides, a good teacher should welcome set standards to adhere to, as it promotes the continuance of the thing they teach and there obviously, their continued employment

I agree about certification and certification that means something. I believe the pass rate for JWAAD foundation is by no means 100%. When I attended I was given the figures so I knew it was not a case of "you pays yer money....and..gets...."
BUT of course that is all about meeting their criteria (how else can you measure?) I know very well known and beautiful practitioners who "do it their way" and we should not get into a situation were they would be not seen as acceptable to any governing body.
The vital thing ...I'll say it again...is that a teacher makes the effort to continue learning and is concerned not just in getting in those "£4 an hours" but in giving value for money whilst as best they may, producing students with the correct technique and attitude.
We have got some fabulous young performers now in the Uk and they are the future. They are dedicated and worth watching and promoting.
The show at JoY had great international performers like Lulu but how proud we can be of dancers who have emmersed themselves not only in the dance but the culture like Sara and Lorna but the Leeds quartet who danced a lively fusion, Kharis, Tracy and Feresteh and the effort made by (I hope they don't mind me sayng) ladies of various shapes and ages with their glorious costumes:The 400 Roses.
So I am concerned that we still have dire patches of bad teaching and practise but I do believe the future is rosey.
I feel sorry for those students and potential students trapped by limited opportunites and stuck in a rut teachers.

khanjar

If both those organisations have an accepted level of criteria one has to fulfill in order to gain membership and the benefits thereof, if that criteria has the agreement of many, what is the problem. Maybe it is dancers of the past, sought what you asked here, and there came together and formed these organisations to maintain and promote a standard, and bravo to them for doing so, as I am sure the intention was not to say because we are affiliated, we are therefore better in the light of other dance instructors. But what I understand about organisations, they usually have the wherewithall to arrange events and such, something which I feel may appeal to most.

There is also the possibility that one does not have to be a member, but could incorporate the good sense of that organisation in their own interpretations of the art. They can of course do their own thing, but one hopes they are sufficiently skilled in all aspects of tutorship, not just the teaching of dance moves and how to put it together.

The one lesson I had, with Siouxsie Cooper, not only could she teach the dance, but was aware of physiology, and made suggestions about the improvement of posture, something I have kept up via Iyengar despite no longer having a class due to the belief that men don't dance stupidity. Something that will be changing for me very soon, hopefully via an open minded tutor who teaches males privately, I am in contact with such an enlightened person at this time, so here is hoping, maybe not a class with others, but it is a start, I prove my worth, I might be let in. I just wish this wasn't so, I mean, would anyone dare to discriminate on the grounds of age, ability, race, religion or sexual preference, if not, why the discrimination against gender, it seems all are catered for, but males are left out in the cold.

Hmmm. an interesting question has formed, would a tutor turn someone away, if they were of an age, of a disability, of a race other than the usual majority, but male, as surely refusal could be seen on the grounds of anything other than gender, as the labels in society, some are more prominent than others, and we all do not wish to be labelled something which might cause a stigma through the ensuing publicity, publicity that always comes to demonstrate the effectiveness of equal opportunities laws, where they are applied.

lizaj

The problem with criteria say based in the "Egyptian" style ...as it is seen by say Jo or Afra preclude moves made by a Turkish style dancer and certainly the Tribal stable.
On the training scheme I attended you met the criteria on a tick box system.
Now this means moves are condemned,excluded and these may be seen as perfectly attractive and viable by other audiences..that's the straight jacket.
The training schemes are extremely useful..have a close look at them..but no way do I want to see them being able to say so and so is not a belly dancer because she doesn't do her hip circle in a certain way.
We do have to be concerned about technique but some dancers who have been dancing for years would not meet all the criteria of a "scheme" and are still excellent dancers and safe teachers. That being the point for those schemes for me..not just about underlining your technique but making sure you learn a professional, safe approach to the profession of teaching. I have a certicate from the government of this country that says I am a teacher and one from Jo Wise saying I can teach belly dance. They are both equally important to me. They should ensure I have the correct approach and basic technique and I would encourage those thinking of teaching to attend a course but hey I hope the day never comes when they completely"control" this dance nor the teaching of this dance .:shok:
Guide and mentor a goodly number and promote high standards yes!

khanjar

Then, as I see it, the choice is simple, go with ASMED and the JWAAD accept the criteria as at least it is setting a standard, a benchmark from which to work or if you do not agree the choice is continue with what there is now outside of these organisations or start a new organisation, a school using the same approach, but more relaxed in style.

There can be many different schools of thought in any subject and if there is such a thing as a freestyle, it can be incorporated in another school, why not start one ?

khanjar

Ooops, perhaps I should say apologies to all for my harping on about discrimination, it is just when I see injustice, it fires my spirit and in some cases, I just cannot shut up.

I know of course, as times change attitudes will change, it is just a matter of time.