Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A performance for discussion ;)

Hi there dear mates.
    You all know me, how strict to traditional i'm but hey... I saw this dancer from Iceland, her name is Sabah, and she is dancing to Lisa Faker !!!!!!! with ballet puent !!!
    And more shocking for me !!!! I really liked !!! dont ask why I dont know, I'm wondering also, but there is a sweeness over there, deep knowledge for the music, I even liked the costume for this "revolution" way of dancing this masterpiece.
    Maybe I'm loosing my bitchy-style? now thats worrying lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BSuA...rch=bellydance

I guess this performance will start a big chat

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Hey c'mon Michelle is not a chat lol
    Say it !!!

Post Thanks / Like

hehe.... you're right.... it's just that I am not quite sure what to make of it. For a fusion piece it has a lot of good elements. The girl is obviously more or less skilled at ballet and seems to be pretty knowledgeable in bellydance.... and she does integrate the two in a very pleasing way. It seems so innocent, so ethereal.... it's actually kind of lovely once you get over the initial feeling of "huh...?" So, hey, I guess I like it, too.

Post Thanks / Like

My interpretation of what is belly dance is pretty liberal, but this looks like innovative ballet to me, shimmies and Egytian kicks (en pointe, yet) aside. Very pretty, very interesting. Send that girl to the nearest try-outs for The Nutcracker Suite.
    Last edited by Shanazel; 07-12-2006 at 03:20 PM.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid it didn't work for me AT ALL :o

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a very beautiful and effective fusion.

It's very different from the grounded moves that drew me to bellydance, but it definitely works. The ballet moves were good, the bellydance moves were good, they worked well together.. I didn't see anything I didn't like, except for the "back and forth on your tippy toes" move that I have always found boring in ballet.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Interesting fusion of ballet and oriental dance to lissa fakir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BSuA...=belly%20dance

O.K. as a general rule I don't find most fusion very interesting. Nine times out of ten if I see fusion I'm hitting the back button or fast forward buttion (or wishing I could, if its live hehe)...

... but this I liked. I think this is a successful fusion because this dancer has expertise in the two things being fused (ballet and oriental), and has a very nice sense of musicality.

I'd be interested to hear what others think, including the purists and fusion fans out there.

Sedonia

Post Thanks / Like

Sabah did not catch me with her performance. And her shoes are just unfitting and ridiculous. (what a BOB I am)
    It is obvious that she is skilled and experienced in both: ballet and BD. Most artists seem to strive to more -earlier or later- unfortunately in my opinion. This leads to too much (experimental) fusions which is really getting on my nerves (like with you).

But .....

This Sabah, however, lets her moves happen in an easy and positive way and her flexible and musical body responds with additionate smooth vibrations - all in harmony with herself and the music. I guess that's a part what captured you.

Even you, Maria, are just a human being and and weak at times (thank God) and I am glad to hear you got caught by a performance which is usually not according to your line and rules.

And now - oh, mea maxima culpa - I do confess my sin:
    One of the dancers who has managed to capture me most is one of these obvious 95%(you know what I mean) lebanese dancers. Her name is YOUSRA HANEM. Not really rich and various in technique etc. bla bla but she arises most emotions in me - more than even our classical darlings from Egypt.
    I admire her and I don't care what somebody does before and after dancing especially if it obviously supports your dancing skills.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3K-Sy80_iI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFDeqow_IB4

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was very interesting. However, I once read that bellydance was the opposite of ballet, in that bellydance is very grounded and ballet is about being high and light and in the air. So to combine dances that are at opposite ends of the dance spectrum was very unusual. She made it look very nice, but I still found it a bit odd. Though maybe it is something you could get accustomed to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast