Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't care for fusion, but I thought this dancer did a good job and her fusion was successful. I think the thing that made it successful was that it was that you could tell she knew both dance forms very well. Creative. I have never seen bellydance performed in pointe.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Simone
    (whispering so no one else know it) I like Yousra Hannem also (sssshhhh)
    For 2 reasons, a) because she is a sex bomb that hit the music and b) and more importand, she is the reason I met Suha Azar lol (we had an internet fight with Suha about her (this is the way we met lol) and after Suha was like ok, I'm coming to Greece to show you what is REAL Lebanese style (boy she was right)

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

I think it,s very nice, its differant ......i don,t think beeing differant has to be wrong and what she is doiing is difficult ...a treu artist in my eyes...tums up!!lydia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maria_Aya View Post
    Hi there dear mates.
    You all know me, how strict to traditional i'm but hey... I saw this dancer from Iceland, her name is Sabah, and she is dancing to Lisa Faker !!!!!!! with ballet puent !!!
    And more shocking for me !!!! I really liked !!! dont ask why I dont know, I'm wondering also, but there is a sweeness over there, deep knowledge for the music, I even liked the costume for this "revolution" way of dancing this masterpiece.
    Maybe I'm loosing my bitchy-style? now thats worrying lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BSuA...rch=bellydance

I guess this performance will start a big chat

Maria Aya
    I like it too. But I am not such a traditionalist

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. Not too sure what I should think about this actually...It's an interesting mix, but I don't know if it fits so well together. Bellydance is very down to earth while ballet is definitely not. Maybe the opposites could do something for each other, but I'm quite doubtful. And I'm not too fond of ballet so I guess it's leaning towards "Dislike".

And...in the other clip with the lebanese dancer I can see some panties O_O. I think I will dislike that too, haha. Well, at least she's wearing something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simone min al Akariyah View Post
    Sabah did not catch me with her performance. And her shoes are just unfitting and ridiculous. (what a BOB I am)
    It is obvious that she is skilled and experienced in both: ballet and BD. Most artists seem to strive to more -earlier or later- unfortunately in my opinion. This leads to too much (experimental) fusions which is really getting on my nerves (like with you).
    Simone, I agree with you here. This is most definitely not bellydance. It is fusion, plain and simple. And yeah, there is a lot of crazy-looking stuff going on under the name of fusion that should never have seen the lights of a stage. But I think what usually offends me so much about these experimental dances is that people try to mix elements with no real sense of either genre. The end product looks unnatural, abrupt, and not cohesive. That being said, even though my initial thought was the same as yours, "Huh? She's wearing pointe shoes??? You've got to be kidding me..," I noticed how attentive she was to the technique and interpretation of both dances and how she was doing her best not to compromise one for the other. Her dance had grace and flowed from one idea to the next, and I found myself kind of liking it like Maria did. I certainly don't advocate anybody else to try that, but it was a lovely, if misguided, attempt.

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed it!!! I thought her extensions were lovely and expressed the swells in the music nicely. Her Pointe work was more dramatic than our releve in bare feet but gave the same light, lofty and lifted feeling. I thought she interspersed the external movements of ballet and the internal articulations of Oriental well. Aside from a few ballet moves that seemed to clash a bit, I give it a thumbs up.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, she definitely can dance very well, but I don't like this fusion. Lisa Fakir is a very classical Arabian peace and it just doesn't feel right, if somebody dances ballet on it. (Probably I'm too puristic). There are other pieces, like for example "Theme and Variations" from Mohammed Abdel Wahab (for Maria: the piece my daughter danced on my show "Oriental Flow"), which IS a fusion of classical Arabian and classical European music and one can dance a fabulous Raqs Sharqi/Ballet fusion on. One should rather search for pieces which were danced by Samia Gamal, because she did quite some Ballet/Raqs Sharqi fusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Maria, I think I know why you liked it Sabah is a very captivating dancer, you can actually see the music through her body. I really like the fusion of ballet and bellydance. The best fusion is where the different elements are combined together seamlessly by someone who is skilled. I couldn't stop watching her.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not too keen on ballet/bellydance fusion either but that was okay as pointed out by all the above post she new what she doing... I watched and enjoyed it, ballet being not my taste, I did get a little bored... at first I didn't like Samia Gamal, I do now though and her ballet is more a jazz ballet...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast