A performance for discussion ;)

Mouse

she can definitely dance very well, but I didn't really like the style too much.. it just looked wrong to me, but then again I'm not overly fond of ballet as a dance on its own either so that could be a major factor.

Aisha Azar

Sabah, etc.

Dear Group,
I also posted about the dancer in a different part of the forum, but here goes again!! Though I felt that she was a technically skillful dancer, I saw that there was no real meshing of the two styles, so that the result was rather "bipolar". I did not feel good about watching what she was doing because it was as if she was trying to combine two things that do not go together.... like chocolate and lobster...both delicious, but please not together!!! Toe dancing and shimmies have two very different meanings and so the result was sort of...I don't know...mentally not comfortable, I guess. I would agree with those who said that they did not consider her dance to be belly dance. I wonder at what she was trying to say with the dance; what her intent was. If it was to show off her skills, she did it. If it was to create a smooth blending of two opposite styles of dance, she did not.
Regards,
A'isha

slinks

I'm so glad, Shanazel, that Samia Gamal is not pointe shoe imaginable !!! lol She's a terrific dancer, in the jazz department, but somehow I don't think that she would have been if she were the pointe shoe type !!!

I love Samia's shoulder shimmy, that is so cool !!

Ya_Assal

I think it was very interesting. However, I once read that bellydance was the opposite of ballet, in that bellydance is very grounded and ballet is about being high and light and in the air. So to combine dances that are at opposite ends of the dance spectrum was very unusual. She made it look very nice, but I still found it a bit odd. Though maybe it is something you could get accustomed to.

I agree with you. Odd and too ridgid for me. Don't get me wrong I love the softness of the movements she was making, but it just made the whole thing too cold. I love energetic BD on the whole, but when I see a passionate, soft and sensual BD performance it touches my soul and this just didn't.

Who mentioned the nutcraker? Good call.

Assal