Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Teaching my bf to b'dance...

Hi all.
    It’s time again for me to ask a question I think I’ve actually asked in the past. But I raise the topic again because, once again the issue has risen.

My bf wants me to teach him to b’dance. But I’m a trained dancer. NOT a trained dance teacher. And it’s been 8 years since I’ve been a beginner, plus the difference in gender and muscular structure.
    So I am concerned that if I teach incorrectly, that I may injure him unintentionally.

My teacher wont teach men, …unless they’re gay.

So help me out please.
    Remind me how to safely break down movements appropriate for males and for someone with no b’dance training.

Thanks.

Fire Lilly.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't tell you *HOW* to teach - but I can tell you *WHAT* to teach. Teach him just like you would anyone else.

These articles may help:

Male Student, Now What?

Getting Started

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Lily View Post
    My teacher wont teach men, …unless they’re gay.
    You have got to be kidding!!!!!!!! She never seen Gintaraus?

But as Zorba says, until you get into male specific folkloric - show him all the normal things. Start small - say one move a week. Start safe - avoid undulations and vertical eights until he has his body under control. I'd probably start with a nice simple hip rock.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Lily View Post

So help me out please.
    Remind me how to safely break down movements appropriate for males and for someone with no b’dance training.
    Men aren't any different from women in their skeletal and muscular make up - apart from the obvious differences. So training for them is the same as for us. The more muscular physical make up of males gives them that more tightly controlled look when doing certain moves such as shimmies. So there is a subtle but definite 'difference' in the way a male moves to a female. At least from my personal visual perception anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Er...how are teachers still able to discriminate.
    Isn't saying I won't teach a heterosexual man as bad a saying I won't teach a gay woman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizaj View Post
    Er...how are teachers still able to discriminate.
    Isn't saying I won't teach a heterosexual man as bad a saying I won't teach a gay woman
    Exactly!

Post Thanks / Like

I still want to know what the difference is between a dedicated and serious heterosexual male and a dedicated and serious gay male, surely being dedicated and serious is enough, or is the teacher so concerned hetero males are so dangerous. Really, it is so sad and for that kind of discrimination to occur, this teacher should not be teaching.

And for anyone's information, I have a lot of gay friends, some of them though they list as gay, are in reality bisexual, it is just they list as gay, because it is where they prefer to be, and many in the lesbian and gay community are not sure about the bisexuals and see it as neither one place nor the other.

But bravo to any male that gets accepted on the understanding that they are gay, but as a gay man they should protest at the stupidity of denying another because of their sexual preference.

Post Thanks / Like

Shoot - I'd just tell 'er I was gay. As long as my wife didn't walk into the class, who would know?

Post Thanks / Like

Zorba, you know, that thought has crossed my mind a few times, like you said who would know

Post Thanks / Like

Well i'm bi, but i've never told my teacher. Not that that's relivent here.

But it's great to know that i can comfortably teach him in much the same manner i was.
    I just gotta remember how to break the moves down.

I was gonna begin with hip and ribcage isolations/circles. As well as hip locks and chest pops.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast