Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wonder what fabric this is

I came accross this picture on tribe, from Rachel Brice:

What kind of fabric is the skirt made of? The bit that balloons. The rest are scarves I guess

Post Thanks / Like

Difficult to say, but maybe a brocade type of fabric. It looks like fabric that was seen a lot in dresses of the 40s & 50s to me.

~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Y'know, it actually looks like a decoration upholstery fabric . . .

like this Taffeta - Siri Copper Floral Decorator Fabric or this (but fancier) Red Tag Decorator Fabric - Brook Floral Green and Brown Decorator Fabric
    or this Taffeta - Zanzibar Tokyo Blue Decorator Fabric

must - stop - looking - at - fabric!!!!

(whew, that was close, almost bought something!)

Regards,

Anala

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anala View Post
    Y'know, it actually looks like a decoration upholstery fabric . . .

like this Taffeta - Siri Copper Floral Decorator Fabric or this (but fancier) Red Tag Decorator Fabric - Brook Floral Green and Brown Decorator Fabric
    or this Taffeta - Zanzibar Tokyo Blue Decorator Fabric

must - stop - looking - at - fabric!!!!

(whew, that was close, almost bought something!)

Regards,

Anala

Most definitely looks like Taffeta to me. We had taffeta curtains once, and the frill that was at the top ballooned just like that.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mya View Post
    Most definitely looks like Taffeta to me. We had taffeta curtains once, and the frill that was at the top ballooned just like that.
    It looks like soft curtain or upholstery fabric of cotton to me. Cotton has the necessary flop and heft for falling in soft folds. Taffeta is always shiny. You may be thinking of chintz.

Post Thanks / Like

she is for sure the queen of ,,mix and match,, see how much and many differant things she is using...pretty pretty pretty, beautiful done

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kharis View Post
    It looks like soft curtain or upholstery fabric of cotton to me. Cotton has the necessary flop and heft for falling in soft folds. Taffeta is always shiny. You may be thinking of chintz.
    I'm certain it was tafetta - and it wasn't really shiny. Unless the fabric store had it labelled wrong, but i doubt that - the only thing that outnumbers our textile stores in Trinidad are our bars and fast food outlets.

I dunno - different type maybe? We get a lot of variety here that people don't easily get abroad apparently.I know several people who come from abroad (mostly US and Canada) to buy fabric here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia dubai View Post
    she is for sure the queen of ,,mix and match,, see how much and many differant things she is using...pretty pretty pretty, beautiful done
    Yes, indeed! She's copying a look I've seen on dancers in postcards from the Art Nouveau period of the 1890s to early 1900s.

That's a vintage Spanish shawl she's holding out.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to agree with cotton chintz. It was very popular in the 1700's as well as the turn of the century (Victorian). The design is dyed rather then printed or woven. The sheen comes from a coating of resin or wax and starch that can wear off over time but makes it rather "stain resistant". The coating also gives it just a little stiffness until it has "worn" but lets it balloon beautifully. It is entirely possible that she actually made it from some vintage fabric since the pattern looks very early 1900's.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for cotton chintz.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast