Help, Veil Sticking!

alosha

the misnomer that chiffon is a WEAVE...

I'm just wanting to clarify this.

Chiffon being a weave is not a misnomer. Chiffon IS a weave.

Chiffon is NOT a fiber, rather a way of weaving silk, cotton, or synthetic fibers.

I just wanted to make sure that no one was confused about chiffon.

fairycove

I am sorry, Alosha, obviously I must have written my wording a mistake ---as my intent clearly read was to agree with Zorba about how chiffon is considered a fabric that is fully separate from silk. So, thank you for clarifying, perhaps I should edit that post so I don't mistakenly perpetuate the 'chiffon myth'!

You will see on my site I have a bit of information about the different weaves of silk. And how the floats of chiffon is different than habotai. Zorba made a great point in his articles that some fabrics are best suited for PROPS and some for COSTUME.

A further clarification on weaves..... they can change when they go to a lighter weight that is basically the same weave....
Silk Gauze is what is basically a lighter weight Chiffon. For example, I carry a 3.5mm gauze. It is much like chiffon, but it is more open weave and lighter. The weave being more open because it is lighter.

Technically, lighter weight habotai silks are called pongee. Technically 5mm silk, from what I can tell is where it would become a pongee. Just a useful clarification for those who wish to understand how the weight of a silk can change what it is called! An interesting thing I have found.

Many people are unaware of the contribution in the 1700's of the French culture to fabric terms that are general to the public today.

'Satin' Most people understand is not necessarily real silk.
This is the same type of confusion for chiffon, except I have found in the belly dance community it is especially common for dancers to believe chiffon is its own fabric.

Real Silk Satin is known as 'charmeuse' a french word.
And, a few other french terms that have been contributed to the fabric worlds: Damask, matelasse, crepe de chine, jacquard, etc.

Again, these are all weaves. As many people are aware that a damask tablecloth is not necessarily of silk origin, it most likely originally was used in the first weavings of a damask cloth.

The mysteries of fabrics.
Thanks for catching my error, I would hate to contribute to perpetuating misinformation!!

Meag

fairycove

HI Alosha, That is good to hear about essential oils. I have myself simply learned awhile back that concentrated anything on silk seemed to create problems. I have not added that factor into the mix of so many factors that are involved in processing for a long time.

I also found that many customers were sensitive to scents and perfumes and have maintained scent-free product for that purpose as well. Though I do have some silk satin sachets that we produce in about 4 colors/scents (they are yummy) and I have found them to last scent-wise for ages. I am not sure if that is a testament to the essential oil mixes or that the silk itself has permanently absorbed it, but they are filled, sewn closed. I have never seen any staining on them....

That is interesting the information about lavenders.... you sound very knowledgeable about essential oils.

Meag

Last edited: