Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm re-posting this from a previous post on the subject...hope it helps!
    Gia

I teach a flutter in stages.
    First is to locate your diapraghm...which is just under the "V" of your rib cage. Panting (especially on 'all fours') will help you locate it!
    To create the 'flutter', you have to create a 'vacuum' by exhailing and then holding your breath. While holding your breath, raise your rib cage and "laugh"...a big 'belly' laugh and you'll find that you should be able to move the muscle around the upper abs.
    Let me know how you make out!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to give all your tips a go. I haven't been able to come even close to making any sort of flutter.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Salome View Post
    Dancing full force and in the middle of it all comfortably holding your breath for ten seconds or so and not look like your asfixiating

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

The tips you have all given are great, I am trying to teach myself the flutter at the moment.

Looking at an image of what the diaphragm looks like and where it is was helpful to me. It helped me to imagine it moving and where the move should be coming from which I couldn't seem to picture in my mind before.

Post Thanks / Like

Do other women have the issue of their boobs bouncing a bit when fluttering or am I doing it wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Im a singer so really its a diaphram thing. really you need to start with learning to breath from there instead of being tense and maybe using your shoulders. its a gut breath you want your upper belly to fill up then flat down. its good to start with the breathing but only slow breathing or you could get light headed. so i started by taking in deep breaths and trying to not use my cholders but use my belly. then exhale let the air out. Its like yoga in a way its relaxing.

a tip my chorus teacher gave me is to lay on your back and put a small not too heavy book on your diaphram and do the slow breathing exerise when you see the book moving up and down you know your breathing right.

my dance instructor does panting. using the diaphram like before but faster(not tooo many times or you will get light headed)

then from there you start to flutter by in hailing then exhailing and while exhailing you stop the rest of the air from comming out. holding your breath. then is in the diaphram its hard to explain its like a laugh.. like Gia al Qamar said.

hope that was some help.

Ruby C

Post Thanks / Like

Must...keep...working... (and stay conscious with the breath-holding!)

Post Thanks / Like

I had a really hard time learning flutter and it took me quite a few years to get comfortable with it. i found the only way for me to do it was by using Kalabati breathing (a yoga technique) - it is when you contract your abs quickly and sharply (repeatedly), which forces air out of your lungs. Its like your hyperventilating, but you arent. you just have to remember not to conciously inhale (or exhale) - you dont even think about your breathing really, you just contract and release your abs quickly and sharply and the air is forced in and out of your lungs by your movements.
    This is how i started. then, once your comfortable with that (which can take a few weeks actually), you can speed up the ab contractions and make them so that they are quite shallow - so not so sharp and severe. I am not sure as this is the proper technique, but it looks the same as a flutter and with practice i can do it for almost a minute without feeling dizzy (since you are breathing through it) - but it did take me a good year or two to be able to do this - i would just practice it when i was doing everyday chores and eventually i was able to do it well - but it took me a while, so hang in there!!!

Elextrica

Post Thanks / Like

when I was finally told about the "just laugh" theory, I actually did it. For nearly two seconds. Must keep practicing...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12