Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    Exactly!

I don't have a problem with a "girls just wanna have fun" dance party so long as that is what it is called.

I just don't understand why people feel the need to demand that "belly dance" events accept their desire to express themselves in ways that are devoid of anything Middle Eastern. There's nothing wrong with wanting to express yourself in whatever music and clothing choice you wish, but there IS something wrong with expecting a "belly dance" event to let you do it in that environment.
    Can't leave you rep for this, but YES!

Post Thanks / Like

As a fan and performer of ATS/ITS/Tribal Fusion I am quite happy for it not to be called belly dance if that helps keeeping ME dance "safe".
    ATS was a brilliant creation that deserved better than the pseudo-legends originally created to give it credence. It also deserves better than to be eternally regarded as sort of a bastard stepchild of belly dance. Up the tribal gals and guys! May your twenty yard skirts forever swirl.

A belly dance show should have belly dance. I don't go to a classical music concert and expect a techno rave piece to cleanse my pallet for the next concerto.
    Depends on whether or not they are playing one of Shastakovitch's more ponderous pieces.
    Last edited by Shanazel; 04-18-2009 at 01:37 AM. Reason: add 2d quote

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline Afifi
    Does anyone have an event near them which is just ME dance with no tricks or frills, or wench outfits?

Is it only me who ever feels any despair about this... am I once again in the minority??? EEK
    Dearest Caroline, no you're not. I will give you rep for this tomorrow (I'm too tired to find the button right now lol but will respond).

We did a hafla last year (which was, by the way, no students, just professional dancers and two aspiring troupes). We actually had NO fusion, no other dance forms, no sorts of chiftetelli-clogdancing-batwingsfusion types of dance, We had all Middle Eastern dance all evening, ranging from Khaleegy to 9/8 to Tannoura though, but we had a blast.

I will comment the rest soon. must.....go....sleep..... I was performing all day and went to see the Divine Performing Arts show in Amsterdam, which was ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL (Shen Yun Performing Arts)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    ATS was a brilliant creation that deserved better than the pseudo-legends originally created to give it credence. It also deserves better than to be eternally regarded as sort of a bastard stepchild of belly dance. Up the tribal gals and guys! May your twenty yard skirts forever swirl.

Depends on whether or not they are playing one of Shastakovitch's more ponderous pieces.
    just listen to mahler and wagner they cover a lot in one piece

thank you i love ats/its and always feel we have to apologise for it. i wouldn't mind if it was cut from bellydance (altough it would be a shame)if it ment it was allowed its place in the dance scene
    Last edited by dreamthief666; 04-19-2009 at 08:14 AM. Reason: my responce put in with quote

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dreamthief666 View Post
    thank you i love ats/its and always feel we have to apologise for it. i wouldn't mind if it was cut from bellydance (altough it would be a shame)if it ment it was allowed its place in the dance scene
    No you dont!! nor do you have to apologise for loving fusion.. I do too )when it is good and not an exuse for 'anything goes').

What people really have to understand is many of us who have been observing the scene over the years, have come to recognise that ME dance has become so diluted it is in danger of becoming extinct in the West.

People take up the dance and get bored with it after 5 mins and turn it into something else.

I am always having to defend my position as I am now in the minority,

'a kill joy, purist ME dance 'Fanatic' who needs to get a life.. '

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is labelling isn't it?
    What is replicating what is done in the ME is belly dance.
    Folklore is folklore
    and the rest of what we are seeing is world/modern fusion.
    There is nothing to say we can't see it on a mixed platform but events as acts should be labelled clearly.
    I find the confusion is not just amongst the GP but new belly dancers or belly dancers operating in local bubbles.

Sorry I am not with you today Caro but Ozgen exhausted me last night!
    Eh the lad done good...he was e-l-e-c-t-r-i-c!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    People take up the dance and get bored with it after 5 mins and turn it into something else.
    True - and if it doesn't turn out to be what they want it to be there are plenty of others to bolster up their attitudes.

I want this on a T-shirt please!

Post Thanks / Like

What people really have to understand is many of us who have been observing the scene over the years, have come to recognise that ME dance has become so diluted it is in danger of becoming extinct in the West.

I didn't get bored, but both of my first two teachers were fusion to begin with and while the second one said that the first did not, therefore, it took about 4-5 years before I comprehended that there was a whole nuther world of real authentic ME dance to explore, so much more fascinating and engaging than fusion.

But if a student starts with fusion, what's to keep a student from continuing to think fusion IS Belly dance and that she/he has the right to continue the process?

teachers are responsible for clarifying the differences.

Marya

Post Thanks / Like

Yes but I went to one teacher who said she taught Raks Sharqi and fusion so that students could make an informed choice - trouble is she taught them all mixed up without saying which was which!

Post Thanks / Like

No you dont!! nor do you have to apologise for loving fusion.. I do too )when it is good and not an exuse for 'anything goes').

I am always having to defend my position as I am now in the minority,

i think when people get to know you they realise thats not you, i do think there is a need to preserve traditional things but celebrate new as well , we should always let the gp know whats what so they understand there is a differance.