Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I will indeed tread carefully down this rocky path.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    Well I think that would really have to be battled out in the country of origin...
    I do agree, and the impression (may be wrong) I have got hanging out here and going to workshops is that some Egyptian dancers just don't think about it the same way (using Egyptian as an example I'm most familiar with). maybe they'd think we were nuts to want to do it at all.

And if they don't think of it that way, IMO attempting to standardise moves and terminology would be Westernising belly dance at about as fundamental a level as you can get. Or maybe it's my inner 70's spirit talking (hi Shanazel! )

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    ...some type of standardization and certification saying you have learned those standards could go a long way to raising bellydance teachers to a "professional" level.

Sooooo.... who's going to start the first school (as opposed to a class)?
    We've got JWAAD and RSS already.
    Last edited by Aniseteph; 04-20-2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: messing with my html!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    We've got JWAAD and RSS already.
    Excellent. I did ask if there was any. Now what do we have in the US, is there any other, and if so do they actually communicate?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how much JWAAD and RSS communicate... and both schools have their critics from what I've heard. Some people are extremely anti-...

Post Thanks / Like

Announcing the Shanazel School of Belly Dance Arts! All your questions answered in unarguable phrases! Movement vocabulary carved on stone tablets harvested from the pyramids! Firm division lines for dance styles and fusions available for $10 a dozen. Certifications a specialty. Be the first in your neighborhood to receive the gospel from The High Grand Snickelfritz of Belly Dance herself, and amaze your friends with your expertise at your next hafla. Costumes, choreographies, and lattes also available. The first hundred dancers to sign up will receive their choice of a pink stuffed boa constrictor or a year's subscription to The High Grand Snickelfritz's newsletter, The Syncopated Dancer. All acolytes passing a series of arduous exams will be allowed to perform with Shanazel's troupe, The Belly Button Jewels of the North Platte.

The Belly Button Jewels relaxing in their private green room between performances

Post Thanks / Like

How do you a apply Shanazel?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post

*Fusion of belly dance with burlesque

Now, one thing that occurs to me is that maybe certain dance types shouldn't be performed even at a 'belly dance" hafla. Why? Because a lot of the people who go to haflas are beginning students, their friends, their families, etc. I would consider a beginning student to be "general public" because they are new enough to our dance to not yet have much knowledge of what we're all about.

I think it's better if fusion performances are done at a theme event whose entire purpose is to allow for fusion and experimentation. And I think such a theme event shouldn't be called "belly dance", but rather "performance art" or "world dance fusion".
    This is a really interesting thread - I am learning Belly dance, being taught at intermediate level, and I believe knowledge about the culture and history surrounding dancing is as important as the dancing itself so I strive to improve my dancing and my understanding of what Belly dancing is about.

I have been involved and interested in Burlesque for considerably longer and I also think that learning the history and essence of Burlesque is as important as dancing/performing; I have seen a lot of 'acts' who seem to believe all burlesque requires is modelling some of the Ann Summers (Underwear retailer for those of you not from UK!) catalogue who give out completely the wrong idea to the public.

With this in mind, I wanted to respond to this thread because I think the points raised by Shira are really interesting. I think the importance of knowledge about dancing is essential to ensure that people appreciate what it is about and with reference to beginners I think everybody needs at least a basic understanding of belly dancing history/culture. It is really important that the general public aren't misguided. I think Haflas, like Shira says, are mainly family/friend events which is fine for most beginners because (if they are anything like our Haflas) from what I understand most of them do dances choreographed by the teacher and I know ours certainly strives to teach people the background behind the dancing styles. If beginners go out into the general public and misrepresent the dancing then I think that is potentially damaging because it could taint the spectator's view of belly dancing.

I have less experience of Belly dance than I do Burlesque, but I have seen a few Burlesque acts who give no regard to what burlesque is really about and where it came from and it frustrates me greatly.

This thread has certainly got me thinking!

But, and I know this is possibly somewhat controversial judging by some articles I have read about the argument concerning mixing Burlesque and belly dancing, I'm not sure that I like the idea of fusing them. Their origins are so very different and I know you can make something 'new' by fusing dance styles but I find the two quite contradictory in their culture.

Corylus xx
    Last edited by Corylus; 04-21-2009 at 12:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    The Belly Button Jewels relaxing in their private green room between performances

How much for tuition?

Post Thanks / Like

Announcing the Shanazel School of Belly Dance Arts!
    So....can i like..walk with my Godsmack cd?

*hums the melody to Voodoo quietly*

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh, I wanna be a Belly Button Jewel!

I see hip scarves are being worn low this season.