Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    England, North Lincolnshire
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Post I'm 15 and dont know how to get recognised

    Im only 15 which is quite young but i think i am quite a talented belly dancer, especially for my age, i went to egypt and danced infront of a 100 strong audience and they adored me , i even went into competition with a proffesional egyptian belly dancer and won, i first started when i danced with the male ledgend who goes by the name of tito. since i found out he was famous i'm even more inspired ..

    my biggest dream is to become recognised , i think i have what it takes

    x

  2. #2
    V.I.P. Caroline_afifi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    3,404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Do you have a teacher?

    Perhaps they could give you a platform at haflahs etc? it is a good place to start.

    Just a little advice, make sure you get a good teacher to give you some real feed back and contructive criticism to contibe your development.

    It is easy for people to say 'wow' when you are very young and then it happends again when you get older.. just the way it tends to be I am afraid.

  3. #3
    Moderator Shanazel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Rocky Mountains USA
    Posts
    15,414
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I am curious, Gabii, and not being the least bit snide here, I promise. What do you think it takes?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    England, North Lincolnshire
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    Do you have a teacher?

    Perhaps they could give you a platform at haflahs etc? it is a good place to start.

    Just a little advice, make sure you get a good teacher to give you some real feed back and contructive criticism to contibe your development.

    It is easy for people to say 'wow' when you are very young and then it happends again when you get older.. just the way it tends to be I am afraid.
    I haven't actually got my own teacher, ive taught my self through the internet and through bellydancers i have seen in egypt and england, yes i no what you mean about the age, ill try and get a video up on here as soon as i just purchased a new costume for a contest im in soo hopefully then

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    England, North Lincolnshire
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    I am curious, Gabii, and not being the least bit snide here, I promise. What do you think it takes?

    In my opinion i think because i picked up the basics quite quickly and through observation i have the capability of achieving alot more and hopefully finding and developing my own style, also alot of hard work and experience and i guess only time will tell

    x

  6. #6
    Moderator Shanazel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Rocky Mountains USA
    Posts
    15,414
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thank you for your explanation, Gabii.

    Take Caroline's suggestion about a teacher to heart. The world is full of girls and guys who pick up the basics of something easily only to collapse when faced with the genuinely hard work of perfecting those basics, much less going further. That's not to say you can't do it, of course, but it helps if your biggest dream is to become an accomplished dancer rather than simply to be recognized.

    What a treat to dance with Tito! How did your chance come about? Was he teaching a workshop or performing or???

  7. #7
    V.I.P. Caroline_afifi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    3,404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just an after thought, was Tito an inspiration at that time?

    what made you want to take up ME dance?

  8. #8
    V.I.P. Kashmir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    1,952
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabii_x View Post
    Im only 15 which is quite young but i think i am quite a talented belly dancer, especially for my age, i went to egypt and danced infront of a 100 strong audience and they adored me , i even went into competition with a proffesional egyptian belly dancer and won, i first started when i danced with the male ledgend who goes by the name of tito. since i found out he was famous i'm even more inspired ..

    my biggest dream is to become recognised , i think i have what it takes

    x
    I hate to be cynical - but if you are 15 and pretty you could walk in and pick your nose and an audience would adore you. I have seen some "belly dance" competitions in Egypt. I saw an excellent professional dancer ignored for a young woman showing lots of flesh and humping the floor - not that I'm saying you are at that level - just that the competitions are meant to be fun for the tourists - not a judge of belly dance talent.

    What does it take? Plenty of hard work. I have studied under some Egyptian teachers who at your age were recognized as having talent. Their next step several years of study - as in 5-6 times a week in class - with a teacher - plus their own practice.

    If you are serious about being good. Find a suitable teacher. If you are as good as you think - it may mean private lessons if there are no suitable classes at your level locally. But don't turn down the class if all that is available is a beginners' class because with a good teacher you will learn heaps even there.

  9. #9
    V.I.P. jenc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colchester UK
    Posts
    2,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We have a 15 year old in one of my classes. She danced a solo in the show and danced rings round most of the others. But she still has a long way to go.

    here is a link to classes in Lincolnshire for you. Teachers in Lincolnshire

    Good luck.

    Please remember that if recognition is what you want it is sometimes too easy to get what you want when you are young. If what you want is to be a great dancer, the way is hard, but the rewards in the end are far greater

  10. #10
    Member Granddad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lincoln, UK
    Posts
    159
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    We have a 15 year old in one of my classes. She danced a solo in the show and danced rings round most of the others. But she still has a long way to go.

    here is a link to classes in Lincolnshire for you. Teachers in Lincolnshire

    Good luck.

    Please remember that if recognition is what you want it is sometimes too easy to get what you want when you are young. If what you want is to be a great dancer, the way is hard, but the rewards in the end are far greater
    Thanks for that plug for my website Jenc. I see Gabii isn't too far away from where we live, if she'd like to email me at mark@orientaldancer.co.uk my wife may be able to recommend the best local teachers, we know them all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •