Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    rep for this! (sorry it's just virtual rep )

The fire, spark, passion - whatever you call it - is having something to say in this language you are learning. I don't think it matters what nationality you are.
    That is sucha a nice way of putting it Anisteph.
    It is so much better to see a dancer with feeling and chacter over a dancer with perfect technique. I find it so hard to get emotionally engaged with a performer if their is no character or soul in a performance, it is almost as though it doesnt quite have the same effect. Technical ability although is important is not as vital as a connection to the music.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    rep for this! (sorry it's just virtual rep )

The fire, spark, passion - whatever you call it - is having something to say in this language you are learning. I don't think it matters what nationality you are.
    fabulous assessment... can I give you a rep too?

Post Thanks / Like

May I had the word-entertainer to that of performer. No without the the "personality", you will not be a success.
    Being an excellent technician needs to be layered with a personal stamp. There's an instinct in someone who has developed that entertainer-skill and s/he is able to tailor her "act" to her venue as well as dance all the moves.
    This isn't necessarily about age or even experience - some young dancers as well as "those who have lived a little" are able to dance with warmth and interpretation and emotion.
    Cold, precise dancing does not attract. It can be admired and be worthy but ultimately both the informed and the GP will go for the less than perfect with a dollop of passion or spark!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizaj View Post
    May I had the word-entertainer to that of performer. No without the the "personality", you will not be a success.
    Being an excellent technician needs to be layered with a personal stamp. There's an instinct in someone who has developed that entertainer-skill and s/he is able to tailor her "act" to her venue as well as dance all the moves.
    This isn't necessarily about age or even experience - some young dancers as well as "those who have lived a little" are able to dance with warmth and interpretation and emotion.
    Cold, precise dancing does not attract. It can be admired and be worthy but ultimately both the informed and the GP will go for the less than perfect with a dollop of passion or spark!
    Yes yes YES. Definately. We are entertainers. Its no use being the best dancer ever if you aren't entertaining-nobody will care. Its the whole package of dancer/entertainer/personality/emotion/music awareness and the ability to communicate with your audience. I've seen some fabulous dancers that just don't dance like they are dancing for an audience. audiences lose interest if you ignore them.

Post Thanks / Like

Ideally I'd like both. But if I could have only one I'd take a reasonable dancer with personality over one who has great technique but has lost the point of dancing for an audience. Which is not to show how proficient you are. It is to connect the audience to the music - and that takes human emotion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    But has not got the 'spark' ....

As a teacher, would you put forward a student for pro dancing if they have all the moves but dont have any spark?

I am seeing increasing numbers of technically good dancers but they are deviod of emotion and expression.

Do you think as teachers we should be encouraging pro dancing in people who are expressionless but technically brilliant?

Are we as teachers objective enough to recognise when we are doing this?
    If the dancer is technically sound, I think you should let her know that you are pleased with her dancing, but that she needs to put more emotion into her dance before you are comfortable recommending her as a pro. And then you should offer to work with her yourself, or if perhaps she is not comfortable working with you, mention other teachers she might work with on this.

Post Thanks / Like

y'all are so clever!
    I try to give as much info about the music I use (I'm a teacher), the style of dance, appropriate costumes, historical background etc in my weekly classes - my students sometimes complain I talk too much but I get carried away because I think it is to damn important! It is not the moves that are hard - it's the rest of it!
    I know that some students are surprised to learn that bellydance has so many layers - I only hope they are intrigued enough to wanna continue to learn all the other aspects and work with themselves to discover their own place in the dance. It is definitely easy to spot those who don't!

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm presuming it's meant that spark equals energy? A dance lacking energy is a dull one indeed, but I personally feel that this energy comes in many forms and not just in the 'emoting' department. Some folks think that face pulling equates to dancing with feeling. Wrong. So much can be expressed using the body alone. But it must have energy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kharis View Post
    I'm presuming it's meant that spark equals energy? A dance lacking energy is a dull one indeed, but I personally feel that this energy comes in many forms and not just in the 'emoting' department. Some folks think that face pulling equates to dancing with feeling. Wrong. So much can be expressed using the body alone. But it must have energy.
    Physical yes and also emotional. I agree that does not mean having an orgasm as you dance. That's too much information

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kharis View Post
    I'm presuming it's meant that spark equals energy?
    No, I don't think it is "energy". I think it is a full engagement with the music and a connection with their body, their emotions and the audience. Being present with those subtle body language signals which say this is just flowing out and through me - relaxed face, alive eyes, mobile mouth, a little tension in the arms and hands but with a softening as they follow the music etc.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast