Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What exactly is a Hafla ?

I hear it mentioned so many times and have it in my mind that a hafla, is some sort of party, but what exactly is it ?

I ask, as I have been invited to one and am unsure. Unsure because I do not wish to barge in on an event for women, at least until I am known by them.

I have been told haflas, anyone goes, this could be dancers, and family, so would be a mixed affair, what is the truth of the thing ?

And I just got to ask, what was it originally ?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey - I don't know this 100% for sure but the impression i've gotten is that the word means "party" (?) in Arabic. <enter gypsy/mahmoud/Caro>

It seems that it has evolved in the dance community to be an event where students perform. However I think i've seen on this forum that Haflas in the US and in the UK seem to be quite different in nature.

I vaguely remember this coming up in threads before about wearing costumes to haflas. I think in the US, hafla is more "formal" for want of a better word, closer to an actual production than in the UK where it's more like casual performances and Shimmy Fringypants bopping in her bedleh afterwards.

Not much help, but i'm sure someone will elaborate muchly.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

There's a broad range of what gets called a halfa in my part of the UK. I am pretty sure it just means party in Arabic.

Could be a few women getting together and dancing for each other, could be a bunch of classes getting together to perform for one another, could be more of an on stage thing with 'proper' dancers performing. Also could be dancers only, or bring your partners, or bring an audience. I think the only common thread is that there needs to be dancing...

But if you've been invited, surely they will have made the assessment of whether you will be intruding or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Haflah just means party in Arabic

but in dance terms, it means some weird and wonderful things

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    Haflah just means party in Arabic

but in dance terms, it means some weird and wonderful things
    Oh no ?

But on another note, am told there will be a bunch of tribal dancers there to entertain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by khanjar View Post
    Oh no ?

But on another note, am told there will be a bunch of tribal dancers there to entertain.
    I think most "haflas" I have attended would best be labelled "student showcases" but the label is popular and has stuck.
    According to one local teacher my name is MUD because I chose to organise the last 2 events as a theatre show and a student platform fund raiser. They feel students are only happy at "halfas" Well I have news for them the next "hafla" won't be called a "hafla" even though it will be a party because they will be annoyed if it wasn't a student platform!!!!!!
    Confused? Well yes I bet you are? I sure am

Oh and why are you worried about a "bunch " of tribal dancers? We can be quite entertaining even at haflas...parties..student showcases..events..gigs...shindigs..blah blah blah...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizaj View Post
    I think most "haflas" I have attended would best be labelled "student showcases" but the label is popular and has stuck.
    According to one local teacher my name is MUD because I chose to organise the last 2 events as a theatre show and a student platform fund raiser. They feel students are only happy at "halfas" Well I have news for them the next "hafla" won't be called a "hafla" even though it will be a party because they will be annoyed if it wasn't a student platform!!!!!!
    Confused? Well yes I bet you are? I sure am

Oh and why are you worried about a "bunch " of tribal dancers? We can be quite entertaining even at haflas...parties..student showcases..events..gigs...shindigs..blah blah blah...

Oh, I am not worried by the bunch of tribal dancers, I quite like tribal, especially the music, but what I was initially concerned about, is the thought that me, a male entering a female space without their knowledge, prior warning etc. I was not aware these events have family members and other interested parties in attendance, and was visualising the ;'' eeek, a male, cover up girls,'' sort of thing possibly in a Carry on up the Khyber type of way. All that because I did not know what a hafla is or entails.

Oh, and this is kind of interesting for tribal ;

YouTube - Hammerhead Sharqi at 2nd Annual Tribal Soiree
    Last edited by khanjar; 04-22-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by khanjar View Post
    Oh, I am not worried by the bunch of tribal dancers, I quite like tribal, especially the music, but what I was initially concerned about, is the thought that me, a male entering a female space without their knowledge, prior warning etc. I was not aware these events have family members and other interested parties in attendance, and was visualising the ;'' eeek, a male, cover up girls,'' sort of thing possibly in a Carry on up the Khyber type of way. All that because I did not know what a hafla is or entails.

Oh, and this is kind of interesting for tribal ;

YouTube - Hammerhead Sharqi at 2nd Annual Tribal Soiree
    I like it! He is interesting to watch. He can entertain me anytime he likes...oooo I hope that doesn't sound too salacious. Heavens Forfend .. anyone should think me a dirty old woman.
    Seriously though he is good at what he does.
    Something that is best not labelled sharki though.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, panic over, they all know, both classes know there are two males joining, reports are everyone is fine with it and want it.

So, I might well go, and it is on world belly dance day too, fitting I suppose.

Oh and I might be able to get some tips for learning that blasted doumbeck I've got, as there is a drummer going.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast