Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Aziyade, Currently, I'm under the impression that for serious dancers, cross-training in other dance forms shouldn't be a problem if the dancer is seeking to develop a strong creative base. I consider myself a serious hobbyist(with a few paid gigs on the side), so cross-training wouldn't do me much good. So I've opted to cross-train in other forms of exercise instead, like Pilates, yoga, weight-resistance training. and you're right, yoga lets you feel every little muscle in your body.
    I don't know how close Evensville is to columbus Ohio, but there two seminar/shows in Columbus, our troupe is planning to attend. Check your private message for details.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Hey hey hey

've been told by folks here in Evansville that Cincy is about 3 hours away or so, so however far from there to Columbus...

I agree that ballet is about being elevated, lifting up from the ground- opposite from belly dance. Jazz dance is more weighted, and modern dance even more so, so maybe ballet dancers with significant jazz or modern training have an easier time learning the proper weight placement of belly dance. I do find that advanced ballet dancers pick up snake arms very quickly, as they have significant training in port de bras and moving the arms with breath.

Interesting about the ballroom dance crossover too. One ballroom dance which has a posture strikingly similar to belly dance "home position" is paso doble, though of course everything else about the dance is different. Then there is the "Cuban hip action," most evident in rumba, and also present to a lesser degree in the faster cha cha. Ballroom samba is more about rise and lower than hip action, though my samba is corrupted by belly dance.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Yasmine, I didn't get the PM

Columbus is only 5 hours from here, so that's not bad. Aren't Shakira and Kira up there, in that area?

What's your troupe's name and I'll look for you

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine Bint Al Nubia View Post
    Hi Aziyade, Currently, I'm under the impression that for serious dancers, cross-training in other dance forms shouldn't be a problem if the dancer is seeking to develop a strong creative base. I consider myself a serious hobbyist(with a few paid gigs on the side), so cross-training wouldn't do me much good. So I've opted to cross-train in other forms of exercise instead, like Pilates, yoga, weight-resistance training. and you're right, yoga lets you feel every little muscle in your body.
    I don't know how close Evensville is to columbus Ohio, but there two seminar/shows in Columbus, our troupe is planning to attend. Check your private message for details.
    Yasmine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12