Fifi Abdo coming to the UK wooohooooo!!!!

Caroline_afifi

So what can we expect in terms of numbers in workshops and 'the herd' factor?

Even Fifi could not atttract me if this was the case.

Kharis

It might not have been a problem getting in, but it most definitely was a problem when they let too many into small rooms. I got to one of Randa's ones especially early - why bother? people were still piling in at the last minute. No space, you couldn't see anything - deeply frustrating. :mad:

Having said which, the big workshops in appropriately sized rooms with stages and mic'd teachers were great. Not the same as a cosy little personal workshop, but with some of the big name teachers that is not going to happen!

Whoo hooo - excited! :dance:

I'm a bit sceptical here.... Every one at that event is going to want to learn with Fifi... how's that gonna work? It must be on a ticket basis, surely to ensure a fair deal.

karena

My experience from when I went was if only people had trouble getting into workshops. The reverse was the problem. I didn't see anyone controlling numbers and I went to ones where you couldn't move or see much. I'm not going largely on this basis. I've had a conversation with someone involved with it since and they saw it as the way all such festivals were going and not a problem. But not the lovely JoY.

But maybe the organisers have responded to this feedback and it won't be like it this year. I'm mentioning my experience not to slate it, but in the hope this might be addressed...

Aniseteph - you got mikes? I was told they weren't working in the huge workshop I was in.

Aniseteph

My experience from when I went was if only people had trouble getting into workshops. The reverse was the problem. I didn't see anyone controlling numbers and I went to ones where you couldn't move or see much. I'm not going largely on this basis... Aniseteph - you got mikes? I was told they weren't working in the huge workshop I was in.

The Randa one in the smaller room was the only one that I went to that was ridiculously full. One of JimBoz's ones was busy but there was a stage and it wasn't too hard to see/move.

I can't remember about mics to be honest - just the principle of the thing. If I can see and hear and have space to do what is being asked, fine. Otherwise I turn into the grumpy old woman from hell. :mad:

I believe the Fifi ones ARE going to be bookable for a (small?) extra.

Kharis

My experience from when I went was if only people had trouble getting into workshops. The reverse was the problem. I didn't see anyone controlling numbers and I went to ones where you couldn't move or see much. I'm not going largely on this basis. I've had a conversation with someone involved with it since and they saw it as the way all such festivals were going and not a problem. But not the lovely JoY.

But maybe the organisers have responded to this feedback and it won't be like it this year. I'm mentioning my experience not to slate it, but in the hope this might be addressed...

Aniseteph - you got mikes? I was told they weren't working in the huge workshop I was in.

This alone is enough to put me off. For me, it's a long way to go. I want to Fantasia one year and swore never to again. All the workshops I attended were rammed, the Front Line Mafia never gave an inch, and I could see nothing and hear nothing. I think I went to one workshop where I managed to squidge to the front for a short while. I was none to pleased. Then to cap it all, one of them was a stick workshop and you couldn't even raise your arms, never mind weild a stick. I cannot imagine that any of the Fifi workshops will be 'roomy'. I would imagine rammed and frustrating would be more apt. I think I'll stick to studying her film footage for now, it's done me ok for the past 13 years....and anyway, I got to meet her in person in Cairo...and saw her perform, so I'm cool with missing Congress.

Kharis

I can't remember about mics to be honest - just the principle of the thing. If I can see and hear and have space to do what is being asked, fine. Otherwise I turn into the grumpy old woman from hell. :mad:

Yeah, I flounced out of that stick workshop never to return, kicking random fallen sequins and metal coins in my wake for the sheer bad tempered spite of it...:lol:

jenc

I went to Fantasia this year and the workshops weren't too crowded - at least the ones I chose but I didn't do Ozgen or anything very trendy. I will ask around about the Ozgen

taheya

Congress is such a great event, I had a ball and didnt find the workshop set up a problem. I liked the freedom of being able to dip in and out. It is not just about the workshops but the shows and to have a gathering of such great dancers and teachers is fantastic. I loved it and cant wait for this years! :dance:

Eshta

Nope, I brandished it round my head like a billy club with murdurous rage and intent...

What a wonderful image, I will be chuckling over this for the rest of the day :lol:!

Hi Charlotte **waves back and blows kiss**!!

Bellydeluxe

I'm coming as well with probably quite a lot of French Bellydancers !!!:D

I can't believe it...it's going to be amazing !

The organisers will put Fifi in a big room so that anybody who wants to come can come. There should also be masterclasses with 20 people allowed in (but they will have to pay extra money like in the last Congress)

I will see some of you there then:dance:

Well, the Fifi workshops are booked up in advance and you will only be allowed in if you have a ticket. There WILL be a lot of people in the Fifi workshops of course, but we have a massive room with a stage. And we will cut by a third the number of people in the room when she teaches stick.

As for the organisers letting in too many people last time, I wasn't part of the organisation then, but apparently there were a few people who were tasked with keeping control of the numbers but didn't do their job. They haven't been asked back this time.

We will be controlling the number of people in each workshop and there will be people to rotate the lines. It's something we've discussed a lot because we know it wasn't done perfectly last time and we know how important it is.

I went to Congress last time and I was surprised how few people there were in many of the workshops to be honest. And I loved being able to wander in and out and taste a little bit here, a little bit there.

Khalida

I got my ticket, woohoo!! :D Looking forward to it *so* much. A big big thank you to all the organizers for making this great event possible!

Yay Im booked in for 2 fifi workshops! Stick and oriental- cant wait!:dance:

Congratulations on getting two workshops!! The bookings went so crazy we had to limit people to one each after the first day!

We had over 200 bookings in four days!! Poor Sophie who is booking them, is a jibbering wreck trying to keep up!

We are all seriously excited at the reaction. And of course to the prospect of having Fifi on our shores :clap:

Last edited:

LittlePeach

I've got a workshop with Fifi for the Sunday afternoon! I couldn't believe it when I saw the Congres had managed to get her over. Well Done!!!! It's going to be such an experience! If anyone else is in the Saturday p.m. workshop let me know! Would be nice to know some people :)