Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Article on Suha Deeb

Daily News Egypt had this very interesting article today, about Lebanese dancer Suha Deeb:

Daily News Egypt - Full Article

Post Thanks / Like

Deeb calls herself a “purist,” refusing to integrate any western-influences in her choreography.
    Good luck to her.

Let see how she manages with that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    Good luck to her.

Let see how she manages with that one.
    I love that the very same article references Samia Gamal and Taheya Carioca, both of whom drew on their knowledge of non-Egyptian dances to develop their own style that was quintessentially 'Egyptian'. And one thing I wasn't clear on: is she preserving a generic "oriental" dance, is it Egyptian dance, or is it lebanese dance...?

But I really liked the last paragragh:

Deeb believes that a true artist should wait for the right opportunity to present themselves to the audience; “you have to be selective as an artist, asking yourself what this means for me as an artist, and whether or not you will be proud of this work.”

Post Thanks / Like

What Suha Deeb dances is Vintage Oriental Dance, that's how Irab advertised it on their events flyer for her recent performances in Lebanon. Irab is, by the way, a well respected institution that is dedicated to the preservation of authentic oriental arts. It's the first time they have ever sponsored a dancer and it's also the first time that Masrah Al Medina theater in Beirut has hosted an Oriental Dancer. There has been alot of news tv and radio press because it's not a style that is seen much anymore.

I have often heard and also read on many bellydance sites that western dance influenced Tahiya Carioca's and Samia Gamal's dance styles greatly. I've been watching several clips and I honestly just dont see anything western there. Can someone point out WHICH step is western, or influenced by a western style in these clips, or by which western dancer they were influenced?

YouTube - ‫???? ?????? ???? ??? ?????? ????????? ???? ??????‬‎

YouTube - ‫???? ????? ????? ??????? - ??? ??????‬‎

YouTube - tahia karioka belly dance 1956

YouTube - Tahia Karioka in a film ???? ??????

YouTube - Samia Gamal - Saidi

Thanks!
    Priscilla

Post Thanks / Like

Only if someone see from near Suha and been in her classes can realize the difference of artistic level.
    Words are just failing.
    I also would love to see her more dancing public, but I respect totaly her opinion (what Estha quoted) and its right for her.
    I wish she is known more because she is an excellent example of the art in oriental dance.

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely right Maria Aya. The first time I saw her dance my jaw was on the floor. I had only seen that kind of dancing in old Egyptian movies. Her dance classes were practically a revelation to me as well.
    I think we will see more of her dancing, as she has some very interesting projects in the works.

Regards
    Priscilla

Quote Originally Posted by Maria_Aya View Post
    Only if someone see from near Suha and been in her classes can realize the difference of artistic level.
    Words are just failing.
    I also would love to see her more dancing public, but I respect totaly her opinion (what Estha quoted) and its right for her.
    I wish she is known more because she is an excellent example of the art in oriental dance.

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PriscillaAdum View Post
    Absolutely right Maria Aya. The first time I saw her dance my jaw was on the floor.

Regards
    Priscilla
    Same here !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

link is not working

Post Thanks / Like

I miss Suha. Her posts here were always so insightful and I loved her sense of humor.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Mahnfokhah hanem ..

I find the article nothing but self promotion/resume BS .. a very good example of what not to do to promote yourself. Claiming purists and the only one who is taking it upon herself to left up the world of belly dance from its misery ... I find it laughable.

This shows that it doesn't matter whether you are an Arab or Westerner .. stupidity does not discriminate. I wonder what she had to pay/give for the article

Priscilla, bumping (betenfokhee) your friend does help her narcissistic delusions .. she really needs professional help not a free therapy at forums through the net.

Inner beauty is more important than just a pretty face, which by the way from the images I have seen of her so far nothing but a plastic surgery have gone badm . She really needs a good cognitive behavior therapist instead.

I don't expect you to understand , but it is what it is.

Regards~

Quote Originally Posted by PriscillaAdum View Post
    Absolutely right Maria Aya. The first time I saw her dance my jaw was on the floor. I had only seen that kind of dancing in old Egyptian movies. Her dance classes were practically a revelation to me as well.
    I think we will see more of her dancing, as she has some very interesting projects in the works.

Regards
    Priscilla

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast