Article on Suha Deeb

Eshta

Good luck to her.

Let see how she manages with that one. :think:

I love that the very same article references Samia Gamal and Taheya Carioca, both of whom drew on their knowledge of non-Egyptian dances to develop their own style that was quintessentially 'Egyptian'. And one thing I wasn't clear on: is she preserving a generic "oriental" dance, is it Egyptian dance, or is it lebanese dance...?

But I really liked the last paragragh:

Deeb believes that a true artist should wait for the right opportunity to present themselves to the audience; “you have to be selective as an artist, asking yourself what this means for me as an artist, and whether or not you will be proud of this work.”

PriscillaAdum

What Suha Deeb dances is Vintage Oriental Dance, that's how Irab advertised it on their events flyer for her recent performances in Lebanon. Irab is, by the way, a well respected institution that is dedicated to the preservation of authentic oriental arts. It's the first time they have ever sponsored a dancer and it's also the first time that Masrah Al Medina theater in Beirut has hosted an Oriental Dancer. There has been alot of news tv and radio press because it's not a style that is seen much anymore.

I have often heard and also read on many bellydance sites that western dance influenced Tahiya Carioca's and Samia Gamal's dance styles greatly. I've been watching several clips and I honestly just dont see anything western there. Can someone point out WHICH step is western, or influenced by a western style in these clips, or by which western dancer they were influenced?

YouTube - ‫???? ?????? ???? ??? ?????? ????????? ???? ??????‬‎

YouTube - ‫???? ????? ????? ??????? - ??? ??????‬‎

YouTube - tahia karioka belly dance 1956

YouTube - Tahia Karioka in a film ???? ??????

YouTube - Samia Gamal - Saidi

Thanks!
Priscilla

Maria_Aya

Only if someone see from near Suha and been in her classes can realize the difference of artistic level.
Words are just failing.
I also would love to see her more dancing public, but I respect totaly her opinion (what Estha quoted) and its right for her.
I wish she is known more because she is an excellent example of the art in oriental dance.

Maria Aya :)

PriscillaAdum

Absolutely right Maria Aya. The first time I saw her dance my jaw was on the floor. I had only seen that kind of dancing in old Egyptian movies. Her dance classes were practically a revelation to me as well.
I think we will see more of her dancing, as she has some very interesting projects in the works.

Regards
Priscilla

Only if someone see from near Suha and been in her classes can realize the difference of artistic level.
Words are just failing.
I also would love to see her more dancing public, but I respect totaly her opinion (what Estha quoted) and its right for her.
I wish she is known more because she is an excellent example of the art in oriental dance.

Maria Aya :)

masrawy

Mahnfokhah hanem ..

I find the article nothing but self promotion/resume BS .. a very good example of what not to do to promote yourself. Claiming purists and the only one who is taking it upon herself to left up the world of belly dance from its misery ... I find it laughable.

This shows that it doesn't matter whether you are an Arab or Westerner .. stupidity does not discriminate. I wonder what she had to pay/give for the article :think:

Priscilla, bumping (betenfokhee) your friend does help her narcissistic delusions .. she really needs professional help not a free therapy at forums through the net.

Inner beauty is more important than just a pretty face, which by the way from the images I have seen of her so far nothing but a plastic surgery have gone badm :shok:. She really needs a good cognitive behavior therapist instead.

I don't expect you to understand :rolleyes: , but it is what it is.

Regards~

Absolutely right Maria Aya. The first time I saw her dance my jaw was on the floor. I had only seen that kind of dancing in old Egyptian movies. Her dance classes were practically a revelation to me as well.
I think we will see more of her dancing, as she has some very interesting projects in the works.

Regards
Priscilla

PriscillaAdum

Wow Masrawy.
You are really sore about what she said to you over on the other forum, and since you aren't able to post something like this over there because it would be your third offense for rudeness, and you would be banned..you decided to post it here.
Most people would have the good education and good sense to just ignore someone they hate that much, and this kind of vicious comment on your part only make you look bad and makes it obvious that you have an axe to grind with Suha. It makes me wonder how old you are to be resorting to tactics I would expect from a child, not from a grown up.

masrawy

The elephant in the room ..

Priscill

As I said, I don't expect you to understand .. obviously you have the habit of not checking the facts first. I don't expect any different from you are her surrogate and pumping here will not help the issue she suffer from..

Hint, an ego larger than a elephant .. no one hold the key to the belly dance kingdom.

She should watch her idol Tahia Carico Samia Gamal interview of with Tarek Habeb may be she will learn something about being humble ...

Come up with something new ... child and waiting to jump at you .. old stuff ;)

Regards,

Shanazel

I miss Suha as well, and hope that someday she will teach a workshop somewhere within two or three hundred miles of me. I'd drive that far in a heartbeat to meet her in person and to see her dance, and I would not be in the car alone. ;)

masrawy

Narcissistic personality disorder ..

Diagnostic Features:

Narcissistic personality disorder is a condition characterized by an inflated sense of self-importance, need for admiration, extreme self-involvement, and lack of empathy for others. Individuals with this disorder are usually arrogantly self-assured and confident. They expect to be noticed as superior . However, this disorder is only diagnosed when these behaviors become persistent and very disabling or distressing.

Complications:

Vulnerability in self-esteem makes individuals with this disorder very sensitive to criticism or defeat. Although they may not show it outwardly, criticism may haunt these individuals these individuals and may leave them feeling humiliated, degraded, hollow, and empty. They may react with disdain, rage, or defiant counterattack. Their social life is often impaired due to problems derived from entitlement, the need for admiration, and the relative disregard for the sensitivities of others. Though their excessive ambition and confidence may lead to high achievement; performance may be disrupted due to intolerance of criticism or defeat. Sometimes vocational functioning can be very low, reflecting an unwillingness to take a risk in competitive or other situations in which defeat is possible. Individuals with this disorder have special difficulties adjusting to growing old and losing their former ?superiority?.

Comorbidity:

In this disorder, sustained feelings of shame or humiliation and the attendant self-criticism may be associated with social withdrawal, depressed mood, and Dysthymic or Major Depressive Disorder. In contrast, sustained periods of grandiosity may be associated with a hypomanic mood. Anorexia Nervosa, Substance-Related Disorders (especially related to cocaine), and other Personality Disorders (especially Histrionic, Borderline, Antisocial, and Paranoid) frequently co-occur with this disorder.

Sound familier Priscilla ... She really need help :pray: :pray: ;)

Regards,

nightdancer

Shanazel,

Is there somewhere online that I can see videos? I tossed her name through Google, but it did not yield much.

Have a great night,

R

Caroline_afifi

Suha Deeb is someone I have heard many good things about in recent months.

For me she sounded like an excellent candidate for the Arab arts festival and had all the credentials needed for such a festival..

but then...

I saw what she wrote about other dancers on another forum and my mind slammed shut. Despite some of the battles on this forum, I have never seen anyone stoop to such levels of abuse.

I would not cross the street or take a lesson with someone who is clearly very bitter and rude as she is... and that is something coming from me as i am not afraid of people who say it like it is, have the guts to disagree or are very direct, but she really stooped low and I find it quite bizarre.

the reason? because somebody defended Randa Kamel as a dancer.

I dont care who somebody is and how great they dance etc, it does not give them the God given right to be so abusive and nasty to another person without a good reason.

I just thought i would chip in with this as what Suha said to others is 10 times worse than i have seen Masrawy come up with in even in angriest moments (or anyone else for that matter!)

lizaj

I can well understand someone wanting to retain from or return to an era of what might be seen as a Golden Age. I certainly fear what is danced under the label of belly dance has "lost any plots" there ever were.
However we cannot stop the march of time "over there" and Egyptian dancers will continue to evolve and develop the dance how they and their audiences wish.The rest f us as well as "expert"s such as Suha will like some and dislike some and in the end we can argue to the toss as to the merits of the dancer but we have no right to abuse other people for their preferences.
We can put our point of view and try to educate people to our ways..and I have changed my mind in the last few years as to the directions I want and see this dance going but I hope when I meet people of a different standpoint that I can argue in a civil manner. No one can claim to know the true, the whole true and nothing but the true way and whenever they cliam to do I find my little old mind switching off to them!

PriscillaAdum

Masrawy,
I would thank you to stop involving me in your quarrel and personal problems with Suha. Whatever transpired between you, Aisha Azar and Suha Deeb on the other forum is exactly that...between you three. So much so, that I haven't given it much thought or importance, and MUCH LESS have I commented on it with anybody here, i.e. Shanazel, as you seem to imply here. I notice you keep mentioning me in all your posts and including me in your comments and generalizations and apparently directing them to me. I don't understand why. I'm her friend, not her manager. If you want to say something to ME personally, then you can PM me....
Meantime, kindly leave me out of your personal issues, as I have barely exchanged two or three sentences with you or with Aisha Azar in my life.

Priscilla

If you PM me, I might tell you the truth instead of lies they have been feeding you ... :D

Last edited: