Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 26789101112
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, as someone who studied the history of art and the Renaissance period, got to say that there was actually quite a lot of art produced throughout the medieval/Renaissance periods that didn't have overt religious themes.

Lots of Greek-Roman stuff, Aesop's Fables and that sort of thing from antiquity -- especially good for risque themes otherwise frowned upon ("But it's Classical!").

But the folks who had the most money were the nobility, the rising merchant middle-class and the Church, and those folks were eager to show off their piety and gentitlity, plus Bible lit was the best generally known source for history and imagination.

FYI: Pilgrim's Progress was a religious allegory -- the Pilgrim being the ordinary bloke making his way toward Heaven past all sorts of obstacles.

Nobody reads it, so can't blame ya for not knowing that, Caroline!

Um -- but I digress.

Shira's comment point outs that if there is money to be had from any form of art, it will suddenly get way more attention -- good and bad -- and, inevitably, have a big impact on the art form.

Personally, I can't stand artificial ducks wearing sunbonnets.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI: Pilgrim's Progress was a religious allegory -- the Pilgrim being the ordinary bloke making his way toward Heaven past all sorts of obstacles.

What I meant was, it was the first book of fiction and not based on the stories from the Bible.

It was about an ordinary bloke and not Jesus.

It may have been religous but it was about a person. Do you understand what I mean.

This is why the book is so historically significant .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kharmine View Post
    Well, as someone who studied the history of art and the Renaissance period, got to say that there was actually quite a lot of art produced throughout the medieval/Renaissance periods that didn't have overt religious themes.

Lots of Greek-Roman stuff, Aesop's Fables and that sort of thing from antiquity -- especially good for risque themes otherwise frowned upon ("But it's Classical!").

But the folks who had the most money were the nobility, the rising merchant middle-class and the Church, and those folks were eager to show off their piety and gentitlity, plus Bible lit was the best generally known source for history and imagination.

Um -- but I digress.

Shira's comment point outs that if there is money to be had from any form of art, it will suddenly get way more attention -- good and bad -- and, inevitably, have a big impact on the art form.

Personally, I can't stand artificial ducks wearing sunbonnets.
    Wadda ya mean no one ever reads its? I had to for my A levels. Thren again I think I just prefered Pride and Prejudice...Yup a natty allegory. The book might not be riviting reading (don't ask I cant remember anything now but I remembered enough to pass) but I remember thinking he was quite a feisty guy! No one ever reads it now at Brit schools..that's right!

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough--I know next to nothing about visual art history of the Ren. period or any other I was just trying to find a Western example of how who gets to be an artist and what the purpose and rightful subject or context of art is stated to be, varies by time and place. It's political!

I agree with the original poster who said something like "Harem fantasy dance really bugs me." I was just trying to widen the scope.

I'm going to create a spinoff thread called "Elevated art" now so as not to get this one off topic.

Cathy

Post Thanks / Like

You're quite right, Caroline, it was still a religious book, but definitely fiction.

And lizaj, I'm impressed -- I've read it, but when a teen-ager and then I thought it was rather a slog!

Cathy, I don't think we strayed all that far -- how artistic images get formed has a lot to do with the cultures of the times, the art the religious influences, etc.

If we're aware of how it happens, it becomes easier to understand and even deflect when it becomes harem-girl-turned-belly-dancer.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 26789101112