Dance Bloopers

eden eyes

:lol:I think this could be a real fun thread!

What are some of the funniest things that have ever happened during a performance or during class? Who were they most embarassing for??

Haha one time, i was doing a kneeling bow to pick up my veil so i could finish with it in hand and i leaned forward a bit too much and fell, hitting my forehead on the floor! i could hear it but i was hoping people didn't notice or hear it over the music. after i was finished i asked my gal pal and she said you could hear a sudden "THUNK" when i bowed and she could kinda see my expression say "Aw **** that hurt!"

your turn!:lol:

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I had some random man jump up and dance up behind me when I was coming up from doing a back bend. I turned around and he was right there in my face. He kept trying to dance with me so I had to work it in until security pulled him off the stage.

kayshier

:lol:I think this could be a real fun thread!

What are some of the funniest things that have ever happened during a performance or during class? Who were they most embarassing for??

Haha one time, i was doing a kneeling bow to pick up my veil so i could finish with it in hand and i leaned forward a bit too much and fell, hitting my forehead on the floor! i could hear it but i was hoping people didn't notice or hear it over the music. after i was finished i asked my gal pal and she said you could hear a sudden "THUNK" when i bowed and she could kinda see my expression say "Aw **** that hurt!"

your turn!:lol:

funny things..
i remembered doing an exercise where i had to do a "choo choo shimmy" and circular movements with my hands at the same time...it was the first time i was doing it, and my teacher cautioned us to try to move our hands slowly while we were shimmying...
needless to say, my wrists were shimmying as well, moving just as fast as my hips. it was funny.

i also remembered during one session where we were focusing on veil work, and we were trying a move the veil got caught in my head somehow...was really very funny...everybody myself included started laughing.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Bloopers threads are always fun! :lol:

My most famous one was my VERY first double veil performance. Somehow I managed to prang one of my hoop earrings into the audience - it bounced off a gal's chest in the front row, and clattered noisily on the stage. Oops.

Another time I manged to get my toes tangled in a fringe belt/skirt I was wearing.

Fifty Million mishaps with veils - like any other dancer. Its all in the recovery! Blown zill elastics, shimmied off hip scarves, the usual stuff.

However, a couple of my instructor's stories overshadow anything I could come up with:

1) She had someone move a chair back right onto the top of her foot in a restaurant gig. Trooper that she was, she finished her show, then went and stuck her entire foot into the toilet in the ladies' room to numb the pain...

2) She witnessed a dancer performing double cane. The dancer lost control of one of the canes which flew over the audience's head and smacked noisily on the back wall. The VERY next dancer came out twirling a pair of swords - the hall emptied instantly!

Freddie

Slipped on a mushroom and went flying across the dance floor ... a very clumsy and unusual Turkish drop!

Lydia

i performed in this real ,,posh,, hotel restaurant where i at that time entre the stage with my big waterjar holding with 1 hand and upperarm leaning on that sholder,the previous week i hade also done this show...i then come in and while dancing go to 1 or 2 tables in the front row pore some orangejus from the jar into the glasses,now i forgat the previous week to rinse the jar after the show...anyhow i again pore the jus looked at the glass and realized there was a half full glass of jus and on top of that a nice big looking cloud of fungy!! hahahah i kinda very fast snatch the glass and off i went ,malfuffi and red from shame!!

Mya

i also remembered during one session where we were focusing on veil work, and we were trying a move the veil got caught in my head somehow...was really very funny...everybody myself included started laughing.

I'll raise you that this happened to me in performance at Fiesta Plaza! nobody laughed that i could see but good heavens there was no possible way to make an elegant recovery - i have no idea how I managed to tie myself up like that! :lol:

Thank goodness i can laugh at myself.

Ariella

I'm sure everybody has veil bloopers, but here's mine.

It was my first group performance, and we were doing a veil piece of course. I was doing a turn, and somehow the veil snagged on a brick wall and wrapped around my head twice. I know we're all taught to gracefully exit our veil bloopers, but there's really no way to gracefully unwrap your veil from your head and then un-attach it from a brick wall.

Shanazel

I stepped on a veil and fell flat on my dear little butt. I undulated to my feet, waved to the crowd, and kept going, but-OUCH!

Shanazel

Veils may look soft and floaty and romantic, but they are actually vicious creatures at heart, always trying to trip you up, blind you with an errant fold, or grab your butt at an inopportune time. I keep mine in cages when they aren't in use and make sure I shoot them with a tranquilizer dart before taking them on stage.

alosha

Veils may look soft and floaty and romantic, but they are actually vicious creatures at heart, always trying to trip you up, blind you with an errant fold, or grab your butt at an inopportune time. I keep mine in cages when they aren't in use and make sure I shoot them with a tranquilizer dart before taking them on stage.

rep to you for knowing the true nature of veils!

Shanazel

Thanks. Veils are definitely part of the seamy, cruel underbelly of belly dance. I trust, Alosha, your hand-dyed versions are better trained than most.

Maria_Aya

total agree !!!!!!!!!!!!! and you are fantastic girl !!!!

eden eyes

ew gross i hate mushrooms, but i love olives. Caroline, if there is ever a bunch of olives in a room threatening your performance with their hatefulness, i will take it into my own hands to eat them for you :D:lol:

(just as long as they don't touch the floor)