Shimmy! from Canada

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Hi everyone. I never thought that there would be a forum just for bellydance but somehow I stumbled across this one today. But I guess I should say a little about myself.

I hale from Newfoundland, Canada where bellydance has only started to become popular in the last 6 years. I dance gypsy-style and have been dancing for approximately 2 years now. I am also in the process of becoming a member of the local troupe I was taking classes from.

I look forward to meeting all the women here and learning more about the various styles, talking about costuming, etc.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Thanks! There is so much I need to read. I'll have to make a nice cup of green tea tonight and have a sit down to read it all...that is after I get back from practice :lol: I do love the location I live at, very, very beautiful all year round.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum. How is all the reading of posts going? You may need more than one cup of tea:lol:

Gypsy style, do tell us more about that. I for one don't know much about it.
~Mosaic

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I'm not sure what would be the best way to explain it. The troupe i'm in performs Atseguin (Eastern European Gypsy) bellydance with influences from American Tribal, Egyptian, Turkish, Middle Eastern, Indian, and other forms of dance.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
That sounds interesting, is there any you tube vids showing that type of dance?
~Mosaic

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
oh no we do use ME music but i just don't have any of those dances recorded yet. Some of the troupe just started using it and/or they don't want the dance recorded.

Edit: Actually I we do use the styles of dance but many do not use a lot of ME music. For one it is very hard to find the music over in this area (unless your willing to pirate) and I also found that the locals here are slowly adjusting to the idea of bellydance. Not many of them are very found of pure ME music yet and their attention span is only about 5 minutes here. The last thing is that there are still some sore feelings and misunderstanding over the 911 issue of years past. Another issue is that using ME music some that are a little more informed automatically think we are American Cabaret style dancers. Meh I guess it all works down to personal choice.

Last edited:

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Thanks Maria Aya. I must say that Belly dance has become very much a part of me and my life. It is interesting to see how much it has increased in Newfoundland over the last 5 years.

I'm actually working on my first solo and I decided to use Harem by Sarah Brightman..I love her music :D