Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Egyptian floor work?

So I have a stereotypical view of floorwork being a feature of American or Turkish style. But since it was outlawed in Egypt, obviously someone must have been doing it there! How is Egyptian floorwork similar to/different than other kinds of floorwork, or is it really an imported element, and not really part of Egyptian style at all? Curious minds want to know!

Bonus points for video documentation.

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest getting Morocco's video of Nadia Hamdi's US tour. On that video, Nadia dances with a shamadan and does floor work. It's still fine/legal to do floor work in Egypt today as part of shamadan dance, provided you stick with the moves that were tradtionally done with shamadan. That's because shamadan is considered a traditional dance, and it's allowed to retain its traditional elements, including floor work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    I suggest getting Morocco's video of Nadia Hamdi's US tour. On that video, Nadia dances with a shamadan and does floor work. It's still fine/legal to do floor work in Egypt today as part of shamadan dance, provided you stick with the moves that were tradtionally done with shamadan. That's because shamadan is considered a traditional dance, and it's allowed to retain its traditional elements, including floor work.
    I saw the video that Morocco performed shamadan and did floor work. It was 1986's show and she did amazing floor work with shamadan. I saw this video in Lincoln Center Library of Performing Arts.

This is not exactly "floor work" but Aida Nour's Shamadan with kind of floor work video.

This is Egyptian ordinal guy did some floor work. He is NOT professional dancer.

This video.... Well, ask to him! You know who he is.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen very few dancers in Egypt do floorwork (live)

There have been one or two occasions in 15 years, like Camelia with her shamadan.

The other occasion was tourist place and did indeed involve the balancing of props.

I dunno, but apart from the one or two dancers from the past, I think any floorwork performed in Egyptian dance is to emphasize the thrill of the balance as opposed to a 'floor work section' of a raqs sharqi piece.

It is certainly no longer the norm if indeed it ever was?

I have seen some (mostly in 70's footage), but not enough to make me believe it was very much an established part of Egyptian Raqs sharqi.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    I have seen very few dancers in Egypt do floorwork (live)

There have been one or two occasions in 15 years, like Camelia with her shamadan.

The other occasion was tourist place and did indeed involve the balancing of props.

I dunno, but apart from the one or two dancers from the past, I think any floorwork performed in Egyptian dance is to emphasize the thrill of the balance as opposed to a 'floor work section' of a raqs sharqi piece.

It is certainly no longer the norm if indeed it ever was?

I have seen some (mostly in 70's footage), but not enough to make me believe it was very much an established part of Egyptian Raqs sharqi.
    I have some videos from the 80's I think that show Nagua Fouad doing floor work during an oriental dance performance ( it might be one of Morocco's videos) her floor work was pretty basic and not the dramatic writhing around that you see in American style.

Mona Said also did some floor work in an oriental dance (from an old video) but as Caroline said it does not seem to be a normal part of a performance unless it is a Shamadan dance.

Marya

Post Thanks / Like

why would they have outlawed floor work in Egypt?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cheart99 View Post
    why would they have outlawed floor work in Egypt?
    For the same reasons your belly had to be covered and that you apparently have to stand still for pictures. It was a hundred pound fee also if you did floor work as Morocco mentioned here in her article at The Hip Circle.

It looks like the government wanted the dance banned at the time but with little support, they took to banning the little things in the dance instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Really! Wow I did not know that. That is so sad to see shackles of sort put on a beautiful dance form.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

I have some dvds with floorwork -from Iamed with Anaheed (Classic Cabaret Floorwork) - in terms of Lebannese/ Turkish they seem to me at least to execute it for stage as part of the attraction- In Classical Indian Dance Floor work functions as part of the folk tradition- Egyptian Floorwork almost seems like a combination of both, but what is the essence as derived by it's moves that would make differentiate the stage from the traditional? Some folk dances execute some very acrobatic and fantastic things- things that never make it to stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Aida Nour clip, thanks Pirika! I love the way she kind of hesistates as she goes down on a step. Actually now that I think about it, it's similar to what Tarik sometimes does, kind of "stepping on clouds."

(I had already seen the other two clips. They are good also)

Cathy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast