Moderators

khanjar

I would like to make a suggestion on the subject of those volunteers who moderate these forums.

The suggestion is based upon another website I use, where the discussion gets feisty, probably on a par with here at times, but how they operate their moderation is a way I think might be useful here.

What happens, is the identity of the moderators are'nt known, they have a moderator profile, and their own user profile. The rules are, if the mod is in normal user mode, they cannot moderate the forum. If they are in mod mode, then they cannot post on that forum, all to avoid any accusations of sock puppeting, something which can be a problem on forums.

If the discussion starts to get out of hand, a general mod warning to all is posted, it continues to slide out of hand, then the perpetrators are pm'd with a warning based upon the terms of service they agreed to before using the forum. If they continue after that, their posts wherever they may be are removed pending moderation, all ok, then they appear in the forum. This of course takes some time as the mods on this other site are volunteers too.

What happens on this other site, is mod decisions are final, no arguments, it is a free website and they have to protect the site first, any big mod decisions like suspending posts, is discussed with other mods not participating in the forum, extra work, but it keeps the site acceptable and fair.

Things that one can get modded for, or a general warning being posted, is any suggestion of any 'ism and deliberate insulting of others. Tempers Flare, emotions run high, but the site is well controlled.

Oh, all the moderators have a number, like mod 4, mod 99 etc, so no identifying information to stop people lobbying the moderators.

Just a suggestion.

kayshier

and what do we do about moderators that start offensive threads? or threads that are likely to lead down a firey path?

khanjar

and what do we do about moderators that start offensive threads? or threads that are likely to lead down a firey path?

Firstly moderators don't start threads, they moderate them. A moderator that has a user account, and not all of them do, if this user gets out of hand, they are treated as a user and there subject to the same rules as everyone else.

As to threads that leading down fiery paths, if it is such an original post, that might go down such a path, it is watched, that is all, as if someone wishes to ask a question, they are free to do so, if it gets out of hand, down comes the boot of a moderator with all involved to review their terms of service, the rules of the website. The problem continues with no clear antagonist, the thread is locked simple as that.

But regarding threads and the paths they might take, who knows where they will go, the most fluffiest of subjects might turn into a flame war, it is the duty of all involved to be aware of what they type and it's possible consequence on others. Most try to be politically correct, no one wants to hurt anyone, but break downs in communication occur on this other website as it does here, all over the web and in real life too.

As regards to this website, personally, I believe a moderator should not moderate in a thread they are involved in as a user, but that notion is based upon this other site I use and have been using for the past five years.

da Sage

I agree that a moderator shouldn't make moderator-type changes in a thread where they were involved in a heated disagreement. It's better to have someone else handle it.

Kharmine

Well, I've had at least two moderators tell me they're afraid to do what they're supposed to do because of the retaliation they fear from certain people. So I'd vote for anonymity for moderators, and if a moderator is the one repeatedly crossing the line he or she should not be a moderator.

Maybe we could finally see very trollish behavior finally ended. Just sayin'.

Reen.Blom

Well, actually, I really dont see the need for something like that... Folks do take things personal, but hey it never gets as nasty here as in other places....

We all just need to be a little more patient with each other!

*SPREADING HUGS*

Aniseteph

I think it's a great idea Khanjar.

Anything that lets people do the job without repercussions on their "normal" IDhas to ba a good thing IMO. I'd rather have anonymous mods acting than threads going toxic and damaging the forum.

If anyone had suspicions that a mod was abusing their role and doing some complicated sock puppetry for some personal agenda (get a life :rolleyes:)they could alert Salome to it. She'd know who is who and would be able to see what was going on, and boot them off if necessary.

Kharmine

Well, actually, I really dont see the need for something like that... Folks do take things personal, but hey it never gets as nasty here as in other places....

We all just need to be a little more patient with each other!

*SPREADING HUGS*

Sweetie, you is just a freakin' ray of sunshine!

I haven't been to other places so I didn't know it could get worse than it has here! Yikes! I dunno, being a moderator seems pretty tough when there are so few Rheen.Bloms and so many, er, impatient peoples!

lizaj

I would resent not being able to operate as a "normal" forum member. However I have to say I "moderate" what I say on "my" forum. My posts are usually more bland although I have doubts as wether anyone can be totally impartial.
We are on these forum because we have interest in this dancer therefore we have opinions and want to give them,moderators or not.
There are a couple of members whose language and tone got way out of line. I believe at least one of them deliberately chose to misinterpret what was being said and that one up the heat. This is bound to happen sadly and hands should be slapped. There are ways to put your point without cursing and abusing others. That's where moderator steps in. I had to do it with Tarik and Aisha..sadly any success was short-lived!:(

Sita

I agree it does sound complicated especially when it would mean for me to ban spam I would have to change my account thereby giving them more time to post, however I would leave such decisions to the forum owner.

I do have one question though: all forums appear to be different in the way they operate so is this even technically possible to implement on this forum?

sita

Last edited: