Hello from Washington DC

Scarletminx

Hi there!
I'm Naomi, 27 years old, and a newbie in pretty much every respect (both to BD and this forum).
I very sporadically took some very rudimentary lessons when I was 19, since I've always had an interest in Middle Eastern culture and music, was intrigued by belly dance, and studied dance (ballet, tap, and jazz) from ages 4-13.
I will be starting lessons with Sahara Dance on May 11th, and am very excited.
Although I'm presently only enrolled to take 1 class a week, I'd like to do everything I can to begin serious study of BD and make it a life-long pursuit (or at least as long as my body will let me). So until I can enroll in multiple classes per week, I am also going to study at home using DVD instruction. (So far, I have the 3 DVD instructional set by Jillina, the Rachel Brice Yoga Drills and Isolations DVD, and "Bellydance Basics and Beyond" by Jenna.)
I'm also an avid fire dancer, with fire fans as my tool of choice, though I am also learning to use poi. I am also attempting to teach myself contact juggling.
Prior to my move to Washington DC, I studied and performed stage combat in Florida at shows like Renaissance Fairs and the Florida Pirate Fair.
I'm hoping that my previous movement training and my current efforts to improve my physical shape and condition (I've lost 40 lbs since last summer, shooting for 30 more) will serve me well on this new adventure.
I have a particular interest in eventually learning ATS and cabaret, so perhaps I will evolve into a "Tribaret" dancer. :)

Pleasure to meet everyone, and I look forward to lots of new friendships and discussion.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Hi Naomi and welcome to the forum. My goodness you have a very strong background in dance.

I am sure your background in so many dance forms will be an immense help in learning bellydance.

Do let us know how your first class goes, it is not too faraway now:D
~Mosaic

Harry

Hi, Naomi. I'm a non-dancing "resident enthusiastic fan" here in the forums, just up the road in the Baltimore area. Speaking as a fan, it sounds like you do the utmost in putting a positive spin on our mutually favorite art. :) I hope you have fun here.

Maria_Aya

Welcome in this forum !!
enjoy reading, learning posting having fun!!
its great that you have such a dance background !!

Maria Aya, Greece:)