Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 84
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    710
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    so called trolls dip in with a wooden spoon then duck out again.

    I dont like to see this forum get slammed because it has been the most educational forum for me personally.

    Bhuz is different, but that too has many threads which go something like

    'bla bla bla ...RANT!!!! '

    So I guess most forums have threads which are about letting off steam and having a gripe, moan or winge about something.

    The difference is with this forum, is we have people who do speak arabic and do engage in very valuable and much needed discussions about an art form that comes from the Middle East.

    It saddens me that this in itself seems to annoy people at times.

    If the the ME people of this forum left tomorrow this would be a forum with a big almighty hole because it would be lacking input that some people never get and are unlikely to ever get.

    It is an international forum which communicates in English language.
    The 'English' are a small group of people who make up just one part of a tiny island... so what does that tell us about history?

    Let people set up threads in any language they want and hope they still manage to be bothered to share their thoughts in English with everyone regardless of what it is they have to say.

    This is an international forum so we might want to remember that when we express ourselves, regardless of who is wrong or right.

    This forum is smacking of domination and alienation.

    The language used and the terms which they are expressed have been unwisely chosen.

    I think that in many ways A'isha kept this forum together as it seems to have decended into utter chaos and a free for all saloon fight since she left...

    now what the hell is that all about??

    I am off to Cairo now and I hope it has all calmed down by the time I get back and we have not had any more casualties.

  2. #12
    V.I.P. Reen.Blom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Between Heaven and Earth Upside Down
    Posts
    3,708
    Post Thanks / Like

    Roll  Eyes

    I think we are all too quick to label... Give each person a benefit of doubt! Why we think we KNOW all the meanings? Same words might mean something else on the other side of the world!

    If in UK youtel a girl she is sexy its a compliment, back at home it means she's a slut.

    Come on people, be a little more patient. After all you might not know what a person is going through in 'real' life. Maybe its a way to vent frustrations, or voice smth they have to be quiet about otherwise.

    It is better to be a little more careful, we all have too much stress outside the forum.

    Not so quick to judge!

    Let me just post my fav Shakespeare quote:

    Use every man after his desert, and who should 'scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity: the less they deserve, the more merit is in your bounty.

    HUGS,
    reen.blom

  3. #13
    Super Moderator Mosaic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Melbourne Australia, but a Kiwi
    Posts
    8,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lizaj View Post
    If we are talking Arab/Muslim thread, yes there were some very unjustified comments thrown in. Others were trying to be honest and talking about their "Road to Damascus" in answer to a well meaning OP. Others made milage out of it.
    Frankly if people want to think like that, there's little you can do. Some people will always want turn nasty or turn to their advantage. People have a choice they can avoid those threads and stick to dance related.
    Ho hum Bhuz..yes everything is a little lighter over there but if you can be bothered with avoiding all the "For Sale" signs and not daring to venture a minority opinion...well I'm duck the flak on OD.
    Me too I'd rather be here, 90% of subjects are for sales, but that has its place. OD has a wider range of topics and I personally like that, even if things get heated at times.

    There are some overly sensitive folk on both forums. Bhuz has had its share of snark as well, but that is the nature of forums.

    As for trolls ... not sure what to think there.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)


  4. #14
    Super Moderator gisela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    4,624
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We have had a few trolls here before but that was very different. You can't call it a troll because someone is not agreeing with you and answering in a snide way.

    And I mean "you" as in a general "you" and not someone specific.
    Last edited by gisela; 04-30-2009 at 12:48 PM.
    immer glimmer

  5. #15
    V.I.P. Mya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    1,062
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kayshier View Post
    so on the basis of this defintion are we to suggest that the moderator in question started a troll like thread?

    that when an insistence was made that the use of the word islam to describe a person as a muslim was somehow justifiable (with support of others i might add) when in no uncertain terms all it would have taken was a simple apology?

    now lets' be frank shall we?

    I suppose even you Kharmine can be accused of being a troll, since in your debates with A'isha sometimes it went overboard with snappy snide remarks?

    weren't you the same one who spoke about casting stones in the other thread?

    is this one big boulder that is being flung from the virtual mountain?

    i have no compulsion to reject civil discourse. as a matter of fact i pride in being civil...what i can't take is when logic is thrown out the window and the expectation is that people should not object to it.

    To be very honest, i also felt just the same way when i read the first post of this thread.


    Aside form that I typically understand a troll as being someone who pokes the fire and disappears.

  6. #16
    V.I.P.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,228
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kayshier View Post
    ?

    that when an insistence was made that the use of the word islam to describe a person as a muslim was somehow justifiable (with support of others i might add) when in no uncertain terms all it would have taken was a simple apology?
    It was I think explained in that thread that the poster intended to use the word Islamist but had a slip of the fingers. This board is good for educating, and we all benefit from being educated by those on here of the Muslim faith. But when it gets to the stage where an innocent post is misconstrued and the poster bombarded with sarcasm and derisory remarks, it does no good and just makes people feel hurt and intimidated. That's bullying in my eyes. And bullying should not be tolerated.

  7. #17
    V.I.P.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,228
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by khanjar View Post
    Trolling, my other website of interest, I have been accused of it myself, but had to enquire what I was doing to warrant such a response. I was told, I took a look at myself and modified my behaviour.

    The one thing I do understand about trolling, is we are all guilty of it at some point, sometimes we are in a mood where what we say might not be the best thing, remember phrasology, vocabulary, it can differ with the mood.

    But consistent trolling, that has to be dealt with, no one needs a permanent antagonist on a forum.
    A troll antagonises and then steps back to await the explosion. There's a difference between this and standing up for yourself by biting back. One thing I cannot stand, be it on boards or in face to face interaction is bullying. I find it unacceptable.

    Your right about us being cranky from time to time. We all get like that, post out and then think, oh bugger! I think when this happens most people apologise or at least mitigate their remarks in some way.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    710
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kharis View Post
    It was I think explained in that thread that the poster intended to use the word Islamist but had a slip of the fingers. This board is good for educating, and we all benefit from being educated by those on here of the Muslim faith. But when it gets to the stage where an innocent post is misconstrued and the poster bombarded with sarcasm and derisory remarks, it does no good and just makes people feel hurt and intimidated. That's bullying in my eyes. And bullying should not be tolerated.
    point noted.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    878
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kayshier View Post
    so on the basis of this defintion are we to suggest that the moderator in question started a troll like thread?

    that when an insistence was made that the use of the word islam to describe a person as a muslim was somehow justifiable (with support of others i might add) when in no uncertain terms all it would have taken was a simple apology?

    now lets' be frank shall we?

    I suppose even you Kharmine can be accused of being a troll, since in your debates with A'isha sometimes it went overboard with snappy snide remarks?

    weren't you the same one who spoke about casting stones in the other thread?


    is this one big boulder that is being flung from the virtual mountain?

    i have no compulsion to reject civil discourse. as a matter of fact i pride in being civil...what i can't take is when logic is thrown out the window and the expectation is that people should not object to it.


  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    710
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reen.Blom View Post
    I think we are all too quick to label... Give each person a benefit of doubt! Why we think we KNOW all the meanings? Same words might mean something else on the other side of the world!

    If in UK youtel a girl she is sexy its a compliment, back at home it means she's a slut.

    Come on people, be a little more patient. After all you might not know what a person is going through in 'real' life. Maybe its a way to vent frustrations, or voice smth they have to be quiet about otherwise.

    It is better to be a little more careful, we all have too much stress outside the forum.

    Not so quick to judge!

    Let me just post my fav Shakespeare quote:

    Use every man after his desert, and who should 'scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity: the less they deserve, the more merit is in your bounty.

    HUGS,
    reen.blom
    Reen I understand what you are saying, but if someone wants to vent frustruation...espeically a member of this forum, there is the you tube thread they can look at..lots of ways to vent frustration there by just laughing or smiling or being in awe of some of the videos

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •