Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by staranise View Post
    I finally got a subscription! eeeee! so excited! I love the folkloric fusion, it's so fun, and challanging for my mind as well as my body... the zill patterns are completely different to anything taught in this area. I love me some zilling action.

I've only been doing it for a week, (every second day mind you) but my flexibility and stamina has noticably improved already!

I only wish I had some other maniac dancers to do it with!

YAY!! I think one of the things I love the most about Suhaila's method is her determination to make playing finger cymbals an internal ability (just like walking) that all dancers should have. It's just so darn fun!

If the patterns get confusing, get Jamila's finger cymbal CD -- available on Suhaila's website. That's pretty much how I learned to play cymbals: just listening to Jamila play them, and playing along with Uncle Mafufo as he would bang away some improvisational piece on the tabla.

You're noticing improvement already because of the repetition in the drilling. Isn't it cool how that works? I've kept a little journal since I started the classes and I'm floored at how much I've improved in her method in just a few months. I've been Level 1 since 2005, and working on Level 2 for as long, but I really don't think I made any headway on the level 2 material until she started doing the online classes. Now I'm ALMOST ready to test level 2 and start working on the level 3 projects. YAY!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Azyiade, I saw tha you are talking on Suhaila :-)
    I'm Chiara from Italy, I would like to take the 3 days Level 1-intensive workshop with Suhaila here in Milan in June but I'm not able to understand whether it would be right for me or not.
    Do you think Suhaila - Level 1 format could be good for Cabaret belly dancing?
    I really like the idea that it is pure tecnique and you keep drilling but....do you thing it is good for someone who likes Cabaret, Turkish and Egyptian but not tribal?
    Thank you very much Azyiade!
    Chiara

Post Thanks / Like

Whoah nelly, Holy Prohibitively Priced considering she's not even in the same room as you, Batman! The year-long sub pricing really surprised me, I gotta say.

My usual instructor takes the summer sort-of off, so I might sub at the monthly rate once or twice in the summer. I gotta say that I love the concept, it's great that the internet really does facilitate access to material and content that some people might not have had otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

I have just finished my 3-day trial ... so here goes my thought.

If you want to enhance your technique and body strength ... you SHOULD give a try ... for free, you don't miss anything.

As others said (well enough), in Level 1 especially, pure technique so it won't jeopardize your STYLE at all. You can skip combination part at the last if you don't like it.

It was a pure surprise, after three days I went to my usual Turkish Oriental lesson, and my teacher mentioned that my hipworks got MUCH better ( I didn't tell her about this online class ) !!!

I can't speak for Egyptian style, but if you are in Turkish style, the program really helps you to get clearer and sharper movements. Crispy hipwork, YEY!

Having said that, I DON'T recommend this online program for anyone VERY new to bellydance, especially if it will be the *only* program, but for any experienced dancers who are stuck with technique ... just give a try!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot something important ...

I would like to thank AZIYADE for her detailed imput and suggestion ... if it were not for your encouragement, I may not try it and be lost in don't-know-what-I-should-improve-my-technique situation.

BIIIIIG THANK YOU !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to help!

I'd be interested in sharing access to the classes if anybody wants to split the cost. I'm level 1 certified which means you'd get access to the Level 3 classes as well. PM me if you're interested. (Paypal users only, please!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    Glad to help!

I'd be interested in sharing access to the classes if anybody wants to split the cost. I'm level 1 certified which means you'd get access to the Level 3 classes as well. PM me if you're interested. (Paypal users only, please!)
    Don't you mean you get access to the level 2 classes? You have to be certified level 2 to gain access to level 3. I'm currently sharing with someone who also has level 1 but we do not have access to level 3. You actually have to get special permission from suhalia and shown you passed level 2 to get the permission for it.

I'll be getting another subscription this year because this work is fantastic.
    Last edited by ~Diana~; 08-01-2010 at 01:01 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cheart View Post
    Don't you mean you get access to the level 2 classes? You have to be certified level 2 to gain access to level 3. I'm currently sharing with someone who also has level 1 but we do not have access to level 3. You actually have to get special permission from suhalia and shown you passed level 2 to get the permission for it.
    Um, no. You only have to have Level one.

From her website: "If you are not currently in Suhaila’s certification program, all classes except for SSBD Level 3 are available to you. If you are certified Level 1 or above, you may take any classes offered."

The L3 classes are a special link. You can't access them from the main pages (Just like the classes you might buy in addition, like the choreographies.)

If your friend doesn't have the link, she needs to contact Suhaila. All you need is a current L1 certification and to be a current member of the school.

Post Thanks / Like

Strange because she has her level 1 certification. Oh right!! I forgot that if you dont' take enough in person classes in a year to get enough credits you lose your certification and have to start all over again. *duh* forgot about that stupid quirk of this program.

She hasn't taken enough in person classes due to the inability of ones close enough to go. Probably means that she lost her level 1 certification status. oh well still lots of videos between everything else.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cheart View Post
    Strange because she has her level 1 certification. Oh right!! I forgot that if you dont' take enough in person classes in a year to get enough credits you lose your certification and have to start all over again. *duh* forgot about that stupid quirk of this program.

She hasn't taken enough in person classes due to the inability of ones close enough to go. Probably means that she lost her level 1 certification status. oh well still lots of videos between everything else.
    I wouldn't call continuing education a stupid quirk of the program. I consider it an incredibly VITAL and important part of what Suhaila is trying to accomplish.

I have personally seen far too many people claim to teach "Jamila Salimpour" method who simply AREN'T!! The last time they set foot in a classroom with Jamila (if EVER) was 1970.

You can't expect someone to accurately represent a teacher's method or style if they haven't maintained their education with that teacher. It becomes a bad game of "telephone game."

This bad telephone game is what happened with Jamila, and Suhaila is actively working to try and prevent it from happening again, with her program.

I think Suhaila has made it pretty easy to stay certified in her method, IF certification is your goal. You have to take 20 hours of classes or a workshop with her in a 24-month period in order to stay certified at Level 1. You can get HALF those credits by buying the annual online subscription to the classes. That means you just need one short weekend workshop in two years to keep certified in L1.

I have a lot of conflicting feelings about the whole program, and I've wavered back and forth about whether or not certification is important to me. But I really don't think the requirements of the certification program are really that "hard" or trivial. That's just my opinion, and I'm not sure what my future plans on "certifying" are, but you're definitely right in that the classes offer a LOT to work on, whether you're into the "certification" or not!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast