Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

I just went through all my videos (I HOPE that's all of them).

I found several movies I've never watched, and I also found two Suhaila videos that my friend left when she moved (I KNEW I had a Suhaila video somewhere...). I have the Bellydance FitnessFusion Yoga, and the Bellydance FitnessFusion Pilates, so I will start with one of those.
    Last edited by da Sage; 09-16-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the assessment, Aziyade. I read it with great interest though without complete understanding of or sympathy for Suhaila's methods. Thanks also for the phrase "walking half time with full time pelvic locks in 3/4 timing over chasse-pas de bouree to the side." I can hardly wait to throw it at my class as an instruction and see what happens.

There comes a point where movement is analyzed to death and the whole concept of learning to dance is reduced to scholarly instruction on muscle groups and nerve synapses. Makes one wonder how generations of dancers learned to dance before they took courses in kinesiology and comparative anatomy.

Granted I am elderly, somewhat gimpy, and learned to dance from Mrs. Noah, but there is a lot to be said for learning to dance via observation, imitation, and experimention without advanced anatomical explanations.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I did the Suhaila Yoga DVD a few times last month, and never really got into it. I couldn't do the seated layering, and I'm not sure the seated straddle position is good for my knees or my back.

I haven't been dancing for the past month at all. I've been dealing with some personal, work, and health problems. But I just got Suhaila's Jazz DVD from the library. I didn't even make it through the warmup! Maybe I'll take it back, and try to ease back in with videos I'm already familiar with.

I don't really like Suhaila as a video instructor, and I'm not sure why. I must be missing something, as she's got such a huge following.

I'll check in later this week if I actually make it through the whole video once.

Post Thanks / Like

After working with this video a couple more times, I've decided that the Suhaila Method is not the right path for me right now. Maybe I'll try it again in a few months...but I'm returning the Jazz DVD to the library, and putting the ones I own back into cold storage.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345