first lesson

nemison

hi everyone,

i just started getting into belly dancing a few months ago and got really discouraged because i couldn't find lessons in my area, and dvd's and youtube just isn't the same as having someone show you...anyways a few days ago i found out that there is a studio in my area :D I'm going to be starting beginner's classes next week, and i was just wondering if you could give me some advice on what to expect, what to wear, and if there is some preparation i should be doing before class

thanks!~
*nemison

alosha

Just wear something comfy. yoga pants and a tank top, or the like so the instructor can see your movements clearly. And enjoy!

da Sage

Just get there a tiny bit early on your first day. Remember that some people take beginner's classes for more than one session, so don't be intimidated if some student seem to be picking things up more quickly than you...they might have already done it before! Different teachers use different names for the same movement, this can be confusing, but hang in there.

Grab either leggings, yoga pants, or sweats and a t-shirt, and you'll be ready for class. And if you aren't already getting a little exercise in (walking, biking, whatever), it's good to do a few minutes of that every day, and then stretch a little bit afterwards. This loosens you up, so you won't be sore/as sore after dance class. Hot showers/baths after class are the best thing EVER! If I take a morning class, I shower first even if I know I'll shower again later...it loosens up muscles stiff from sleeping and gets them ready for dancing.

Kashmir

Depends very much on the teacher and their style of teaching. I'd expect some background info on the dance, a cardio-vascular warmup (ie big muscle group movement). posture and a couple of belly dance moves. Expect drilling to get them right. Perhaps some simple combinations or some follow the bouncing butt.

You may find it harder to get correctly than trying it out by yourself ie your teacher may correct your posture or execution. Don't be discouraged. It comes eventually.

My students wear exercise clothes ie pants, bra and T-shirt. Many have their own silent wrap around belt - I suggest either a veil (double duty) or a plain fabric scarf - not a coin or beaded belt.

Good luck.

nemison

thanks ladies =)) as always, your reply's are a lot of help
i am really excited to start my lessons!~ :dance:

Freddie

Good answers and particularly like the idea of a warm/hot shower before a class, that would be a lovely warm up.

Good luck, and as SmilingMarie says, do let us know how you get on, I'd be very interested to hear what you think of your first class!

da Sage

Actually, unless it raises the internal muscle temperature it is not a warm-up.

All I know is that it helps me. I have a generally low body temperature, and like a nice warm shower, but it's no substitute for actually moving, it just makes moving a little easier.;)

Kashmir

Difference between being warm and warming up

A warm environment does help but a “warm-up” does a bit more. It not only increases muscle flexibility, it increases blood flow to skeletal muscles and increases lubrication of joints, it increases the energy efficiency so muscles contract better and faster and it increases nerve transmission. There are also physiological effects which have been shown to speed up learning.

Moon

Easiest is to ask your instructor through phone or e-mail what to wear. Different instructors can have different rules for that.
Furthermore if it's the first class of the season, don't be disappointed if the class might start up later or a bit chaotically or might be overfull. Usually for the first class a lot of people show up who later decide to not continue and the first lesson, the teacher has to sign up everything. Usually the 2nd, 3th and so forth classes are a lot better.