Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not worrying.
    As everything in life and time, oriental dance will do circles.
    Maybe some new will open to continue, maybe some will close, maybe in 100 years it will be disapeared.
    But its like this from the birth of humanity.
    And I believe in the instict of the audience.
    When they see the good thing they get it

Maria Aya

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maria_Aya View Post
    I'm not worrying.
    As everything in life and time, oriental dance will do circles.
    Maybe some new will open to continue, maybe some will close, maybe in 100 years it will be disapeared.
    But its like this from the birth of humanity.
    And I believe in the instict of the audience.
    When they see the good thing they get it

Maria Aya
    Me neither. It's a dance. What's to worry about. Everything evolves.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not worried!!! and if you are try to do something about it......why it would go ? it has been around for as long as 5000 years that is what been said ...it survived treu many many bad times,and good times..its ok just keep up the good work ,and it will be fine be optimistic!!...

Post Thanks / Like

I love your optimism. And I often think if I and my dance friends are happy and fulfilled by taking participation and watching good dancing, what matters?
    .However I am concerned by the perception others have of this dance. It affects us as dancers and teacher. BGT and the black knickered woman is an example. Ah yes says Joe and Jill public that's belly dance..yes I think our dance in the West is in danger. I think it is in danger from bad teaching, from unprofessional behaviour, from a mish -mash of fusion that has lost the plot and still calls itself "belly dance". I think it very easy to "insult" this dance and the culture from which it emerges (..and I sure don't think that the dance we know emerged 5000 years ago. We have no idea how the Ancients danced.)
    What bothers me is what we are doing to the dance of Samia and Naima. I certainly don't think dance stands still..Randa and Dina and Asmahan are doing it no harm whatsoever .They are developing it. All kind of influences will put a different slant of the "original". Of course it will evolve but the GP in the West gets an awful lot of bad examples thrust before its' eyes. That's a worry, surely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizaj View Post
    I love your optimism. And I often think if I and my dance friends are happy and fulfilled by taking participation and watching good dancing, what matters?
    .However I am concerned by the perception others have of this dance. It affects us as dancers and teacher. BGT and the black knickered woman is an example. Ah yes says Joe and Jill public that's belly dance..yes I think our dance in the West is in danger. I think it is in danger from bad teaching, from unprofessional behaviour, from a mish -mash of fusion that has lost the plot and still calls itself "belly dance". I think it very easy to "insult" this dance and the culture from which it emerges (..and I sure don't think that the dance we know emerged 5000 years ago. We have no idea how the Ancients danced.)
    What bothers me is what we are doing to the dance of Samia and Naima. I certainly don't think dance stands still..Randa and Dina and Asmahan are doing it no harm whatsoever .They are developing it. All kind of influences will put a different slant of the "original". Of course it will evolve but the GP in the West gets an awful lot of bad examples thrust before its' eyes. That's a worry, surely.
    Lizaj...it is that old...there are many pics found in ancient tombs that look like oriental dancers......and you know people will always talk ,,the wasp always eat from the nice fruits,, let them talk ...we can never make all the world happy...just you do your best in your circles around you....when you are happy ,people will wonder why you are happy ...and then you can tell them its the dance that makes you happy,and it is your change to talk and tell people how nice it is and all the benefits you are getting from it.... so little by little people around you atleast will understand ......dont worry !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia dubai View Post
    Lizaj...it is that old...there are many pics found in ancient tombs that look like oriental dancers......and you know people will always talk ,,the wasp always eat from the nice fruits,, let them talk ...we can never make all the world happy...just you do your best in your circles around you....when you are happy ,people will wonder why you are happy ...and then you can tell them its the dance that makes you happy,and it is your change to talk and tell people how nice it is and all the benefits you are getting from it.... so little by little people around you atleast will understand ......dont worry !!
    I've seen those lovely tomb paintings and they could be dancing or they could be goose-stepping so....Ah we'll beg to differ but I still love ya, Lydia!

Post Thanks / Like

love you to dear!!!! well at least you are smiling now!!!

Post Thanks / Like

deleted
    Last edited by lizaj; 05-12-2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: wot went in wrong therad

Post Thanks / Like

Well this is why I'm such an advocate for phasing out the term "Belly Dance" and gradually replacing it with the names that the people of the culture use for it. Why? Because it relates the dance back to the people and culture from which it came. That is and should be the ruler by which the dance is measured. How close is it to the dance as done in Egypt in movement vocabulary and spirit?

For most people, Belly dance is all sorts of things. There is the crowd who see it as being of Middle Eastern origin, (though most of those people couldn't tell the difference between Egypt, India and Iran). Then there are the ones who think as long as you show your belly and you can squirm around, that's belly dance. You can do it to Rock or any type of music, you can throw in any type of moves, doesn't matter.

As for the real dance. Its something that ultimately arises out of the cultural reality of the people. So even if nightclubs get closed, the people will still be doing their dance. Besides, those nightclubs have always been beyond the reach of the ordinary people.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12