first time performing

Mazazil23

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences on stage and tips on how to overcome stage fright...I've enrolled myself in a beauty pageant cum talent show...so I'm required to do 2 showcases and one of them is a dance item. I've choosen a song called "Habibi Ya Eini" from the CD belly dance super star vol.III to go with my simple routine. I'm quite nervous because, firstly I'm just a beginner, secondly I've never perform for audiences before :confused: !

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I don't have any tips really, The first time I was on stage I was really nervous, but the minute the music started I felt reasonably OK. The 2nd time I was a wreck! I actually remember very little, I kind of went into a trance and next thing I knew it was all over :lol:

Since then I just push everything out of my mind, and just tell myself I'll be OK, the audience generally don't know what movements go with what, so if you are dancing solo, you can improvise if you forget something. I think some nice easy slow deep breathes before going on stage is one of the best things.
Good luck
~Mosaic

Kharis

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences on stage and tips on how to overcome stage fright...I've enrolled myself in a beauty pageant cum talent show...so I'm required to do 2 showcases and one of them is a dance item. I've choosen a song called "Habibi Ya Eini" from the CD belly dance super star vol.III to go with my simple routine. I'm quite nervous because, firstly I'm just a beginner, secondly I've never perform for audiences before :confused: !

There's nothing quite like being chucked in at the deep end for overcoming nerves. If you know the tune, hum it beneath your breath. I find this relaxes the mind and body somewhat.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I'm not sure about you but when I dance I kind of go into a zone. Its like I'm mostly dancing within myself and that the audience is not really there. Although I do know they are there cause i'm interacting with them.

Not to good at giving advice cause I never really had stage fright to get over. Though as they said above usually the audience doesn't know the moves and if your soloing, even if you make a mistake it's not like anyone will notice.

Just go in, be confident, smile and enjoy dancing. Even if something does go wrong if you look like you are having a great time I doubt the audience will notice.

Ebediyet

hmm...my first preformances on stage was a group preformance.. i was really nervous because i had to lead a few dances in my first preformance after only 5-6 months of dancing..

i would say that...at first i was nervous but after the music started and we had to start the energy takes over... you will be so busy thinking of moves to worry..and even if you mess up just keep smiling and keep going. As long as you have fun everyone else will have fun too. :D

GOOD LUCK!
~Ruby

TribalVibe

Dear Mazazil23,
the most important thing is that you have to believe in yourself... :) that will make you feel comfortable on the stage. :) It worked wery well for me to take a few deep breaths when I was just about to enter the stage...but I still have stage fright though these days..cant get rid of it... :D so, I am probably not the one who should give advice...hmmm... :p