Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you feel about...

critically analyzing other dancers, in terms of their performance i mean?

is it something that you (meaning person who reads this) would do publicly?
    do you think it is fair, or even a part of 'dancer's ettiquette' to do so?

does posting a video of yourself on youtube automatically mean that you are held up for scrutiny?

I know there is the you tube forum, but i have seen so many 'bad examples of dance on there, that sometimes it is hard for me to wonder what makes it bad, or what would improve it...
    sometimes the comments don't reflect that. so for those of us still at the embryonic stage of dance it might be a bit more difficult to decipher what we should look for.

hmm...maybe i am just rambling i think but..

anyway..any comments?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kayshier View Post
    What you mean like while the performance is going on?? Certainly not - no matter how much i might dislike their performance! That's downright rude.

does posting a video of yourself on youtube automatically mean that you are held up for scrutiny?
    Well i guess once you've put it there for public viewing then yes you are (i'm not certain about this but i believe that there is a function on youtube that allows your friends only to see the video).
    Unfortunately sometimes OTHER people put video of you up and you still are open to scrutiny even though you didn't do it yourself - just a occupational hazard i'd say.

I know there is the you tube forum, but i have seen so many 'bad examples of dance on there, that sometimes it is hard for me to wonder what makes it bad, or what would improve it...
    sometimes the comments don't reflect that. so for those of us still at the embryonic stage of dance it might be a bit more difficult to decipher what we should look for.

good point, maybe we should try to direct you tube threads towards what could have made the performance better other than just discussing what makes it not good dance.

Post Thanks / Like

critically analyzing other dancers, in terms of their performance i mean?

hmm...maybe i am just rambling i think but..

anyway..any comments?
    As a teacher and a relatively experienced dancer I do analyze other dancers all the time. I don't share those observations unless asked, or sometimes just with the person who dances with me.

I learn from having a critical eye so it is something I do for myself.

Once I told a dancer she covered her face too much during her otherwise very nice dance. She had a beautiful face and I thought it was important that she know that. Also once I told a dancer that the beautiful fabric her costume was made out of looked like camouflage from a distance. I probably wouldn't do this now unless I knew the dancer well.

I guess whether I would publicly share my analysis would depend on the situation. If I was at a hafla no, if I was attending an event with my students I might share my observations with them. Not all of which would be negative of course.

Posting to youtube is just asking for criticism, although it is my understanding that you can block comments and if you label it something plain (not belly dance) it might not be found by very many people.

Marya

Post Thanks / Like

no mya for the first part, i would definitley want to box somebody if they publicly criticize a dancer while performing..no matter who it is, or no matter how i feel about how they are dancing.

i mean it in light of you tube videos...I mean didn't the person put it out there for all to see? while comments can be disabled, surely its a kinda catch 22 situation, you want people to see you dance yet you don't want to be criticised for it..

personally i welcome good criticism, (years of getting your designs dissected and sometimes thrashed by more experienced people probably did that for me)

Post Thanks / Like

...its a kinda catch 22 situation, you want people to see you dance yet you don't want to be criticised for it...
    Exactly. You can't stand up there or post clips and expect everyone to have nothing but great thing to say about you. If you can't handle what people might think (or that they might talk about you ), don't dance in public.

I think it's really important to take context into account though - standards for students are different to professionals, and clips posted by dancers themselves (that are reasonably happy with or why post?) are different from Joe Public's mobile phone footage shot on a bad night.

Post Thanks / Like

What Marya said

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that if you post something on say, You Tube, then it's open for public comment on that site. Not so sure about having it posted elsewhere for comment. It's slightly different if it's say, Mr Bloggs Dancing Parrot, or someone doing something gimmicky or freakish.... but if it's someone's straight forward dancing skills etc, then I don't think that's wholly fair.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't critique unless the person specifically asked to be. If I do say anything it is not spoken as a critique but more as a suggestion. Even then it is still weighted with positive regards.

I watched one youtube video yesterday of a girl trying to do tribal fusion style except she had what is called 'chicken wing' arms. No tribal fusion dancer holds her arms like that and when i took workshops from Monique Ryan she specifically told us never to hold our arms like that. Anyway I sent her a comment asking if she had taken classes and then pointed out the chicken wing arms and explained why i was commenting. She was very receptive to it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

If someone is selling a commercial video (either VHS or DVD) to the public, then I think it's fair game for public comment. The instant they start charging money, they invite scrutiny as to whether this product is worth whatever they're charging for it.

I see youtube as being a little different. I agree with Anisteph that we should apply different standards to students who are excited about a recent recital performance than we do to people who claim to be teachers or working professionals.

If the person on the youtube video claims to be a teacher or performer, AND if they post that video to be publicly viewable, I think it's fair game to criticize the work if criticism is indeed warranted. Every other professional endeavor subjects its practitioners to peer review and critique - medicine, anthropology, high-tech, etc. - so why should belly dancers be exempt? If you don't want to be critiqued according to what other people feel are the standards to which a teacher or professional dancer should be held, then you shouldn't post your video clip on youtube.

But I agree with Anisteph that the standard I'd use for student performances is quite different.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting discussion. I once posted rude criticism of YuoTube vid (of professional dancer) on this forum and it was taken off Youtube pretty smartly.

We have had many such threads where a member has found something on YT and we have all chipped in. Sometimes this doesn't bother me and sometimes it does. I think it has something to do with how seriously they take themselves, how long they have been dancing etc. For example, I am more inclined to be merciless to someon who has been dancing years and puts herself forward as a Goddess, or somone who has had 6 lessons (or even none) and posts how-to lessons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast