Interior Hip Circles

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I'm not sure what you mean by interior hip circles? Are you talking about small hip circles where you use your core muscles rather than incorporating your legs to move?

Nym

The move itself is hard to describe, but it does look as though core muscles alone are used to execute the movements. I saw it on youtube being done by Rachael Brice and I saw the belly dancer called Sadie doing it as well. Would send a li ink if I could, but I am not that savvy on the computer.

Mya

The move itself is hard to describe, but it does look as though core muscles alone are used to execute the movements. I saw it on youtube being done by Rachael Brice and I saw the belly dancer called Sadie doing it as well. Would send a li ink if I could, but I am not that savvy on the computer.

Sounds like an Omi :think:

alosha

If you saw Rachel Brice doing it on youtube and it specified the name of the move she was doing, it's probably a copied version of one of her DVD's. Best bet would be to buy it.

Nym

Will purchase it eventually. I am actually saving towards purchasing Sadie's dvds. There really are a lot to choose from. As things stand much of my knowledge comes from this forum and youtube.

Kashmir

The move itself is hard to describe, but it does look as though core muscles alone are used to execute the movements.
Actually I do a range of hip circles - they all use the core muscles.
Where did you find the name? Can you say whether the circle is on the horizontal plane or vertical or both? Whether the pelvis tilts as it is executed? Does the weight stay centred, moved from side to side, stay over one leg?

Nym

Hi Kashmir,

The circle has a horizontal plane. I do not know on which leg the weight is balanced. The pelvis does tilt. It is a bit difficult to describe. I saw Rachel Brice doing it on you tube. There were no instructions. I will look at it again so that I can give a more detailed description.

Nym

Yes Kayshier,
That is the exact video. Hey Kashmir, check out the thread that Kayshier found. Thanks Kayshier.:)

alosha

That's from Rachel's video. Yoga Drills and Isolations. A great video. If you get it she breaks down the movements wonderfully.

Kashmir

Okay. This looks like what is usually called an "African circle" or "tilting circle" with a belly contraction on the back. I don't think I can add anything in words more than she does on her video! (Apart from suggesting that the pelvic position is not a safe one for beginners)

Without the contraction: Drop the right hip. Pelvic drop. Drop the left hip. Pull the pelvis up. Smooth it out.

Now add a contraction ie pull your belly in -as you pull the pelvis up.

Where are you having difficulty? with the individual positions? Getting the range? The co-ordination? The smoothness? Most will come with practice - keep in mind that Rachel is a strong co-ordinated dancer who has been dancing forever - if you are new it may take a while to catch up with her skill and strength!

Nym

Kashmir. Thank you very much for breaking down the move for me. I am a novice, and while it would be exciting to learn it, it makes more sense for me to perfect the basic vocabulary of BD that I do know. I will eventually buy her DVD. I think that I just need a little patience. I thank you again for the detailed insight that you provided.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I that is what you were talking about. I just learned that in my last advanced movement class. I forgot what the name of it was but I though it might have been what you were talking about. It really is a lovely move.

eden eyes

difference?

adding on, is there a real difference between the omi and this interior hip circle? the only thing i "feel" is different is that when i omi i focus on bringing the hips up instead of down as in this interior hip circle, however it appears the same.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
It is pretty much the same but in a reverse. where the omi is hips up front up, etc. the interior is hips down, front down, etc.