Costumes and Color Combinations

Amulya

Have you ever wondered why some costumes have the strangest color combinations, or have you ever made a weird color combination yourself?
I did a online color test and scored really bad! So bad that I wonder if I'm color-challenged :lol:. I have very bad eye sight and nightblindness and I did the color test at night so that might have changed the results a bit.

For example, I think aqua and olive are a good combination, but my mother thinks it's hidious!

Do you love a certain combination that others find weird? After doing that test i'm actually scared I might make a few UBDCs :lol:

Try the test (scroll down and click on your country, not sure why they made it like this, but it takes you to the test)

Shanazel

Would you believe I made a perfect score? :lol::lol::lol: Since I teach design and color for needlework, I find that comforting.

The right hues of aqua and olive can be absolutely breathtaking. I think there is a turkish costume on one of the costume threads that features those colors and is to die for.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
WOW! I surprised myself, I have a perfect score/vision and that was without my glasses which are for reading. I never use them at the computer, a bit naughty I know:D
~Mosaic

Amulya

I scored 30, really bad! IThere is a difference between day light and night light when it comes to my eye sight. If I work on a costume I try to do it during the day, otherwise I can't really see what I'm doing and that gives sometimes funny results hehe. I really got to do something about my eyes, atm moment the optometrician says it can't be corrected, but I need a second opinion. The blurry eye sight hurts! (yes I have contacts and glasses and both don't help)

PracticalDancer

I got a 14 -- I swear the thing made me cross-eyed. But, remember that the quality of your MONITOR will make almost as much difference as your eyes. :confused:

regards,

Anala

Marya

Experience probably helps, like Shanazel teaching design.

I hate munsell color charts, my soil science teacher was convinced I was color blind because he never agreed with my choices of soil color when I used the munsell charts. I want to try a different country's charts but can't get back to the map for some reason.

I did it in the dark too and scored 28, and I think aqua and olive would make a beautiful costume too.

Marya

kayshier

did the test in poor lighting and got a score of 24:confused:
i saw from the graph were my weaknesses were which is good...from the blue to purplish range i had a lot of difficulty

Mya

Would you believe I made a perfect score? :lol::lol::lol:

Me too! Odd thing is though that i thought it was wrong...i just couldn't figure out how to rearrange it any further.:confused:

Not sure how my eyes/brain worked that one out.

Shanazel

You can't overthink color charts like this- your instinctive choice is probably the right one. It also helps to have an understanding of value as well as hue.

I'd like to try another country's chart, too, but haven't gotten around to it.

SmilingMarie

I got 28 and am actually reasonably happy with that - and yes it made me cross-eyed too!
But I would agree re the monitor - depending on the angle the colours changed slightly (laptop) so I am sure it would make a significant difference in some cases.. also how long you take to do it, I guess... (how meticulous you are, how many times you go back over it etc).

Marya

You can't overthink color charts like this- your instinctive choice is probably the right one. It also helps to have an understanding of value as well as hue.

I'd like to try another country's chart, too, but haven't gotten around to it.

Using my computer at work I went to another country's chart, looked the same to me, maybe the score is given in the appropriate language.

Marya

Shanazel

Using my computer at work I went to another country's chart, looked the same to me, maybe the score is given in the appropriate language.

Marya

Well, duh, that makes sense. I thought maybe the testers were scoring hue perceptions throughout the world.

feedyoureye

What a cool test! I scored a 4. I am an artist with quite a bit of color training, but showed a little weakness in the red/purple area.

jenc

for some countries there is a limited range of colour names. My daughter got a teach yourself Swahili cheap cd and because the questions were all translated into whatever language, she had to answer identical questions that the programme translated into different colours and then she was right or wrong according to which english colour the identical word had translated.

there is evidence that the difference in naming affects the perception of colour. in some countries for example there is no black, it is most likely to be categorised as blue, so the inhabitants can't perceive black as a seprate colour (or absence of same if you want to be pedantic)

khanjar

I got zero (perfect), is that right ?

* Your score: 0
* Age range: 40-49
* Best score for your gender and age range: 0
* Highest score for your gender and age range: 1520