Jewellery

khanjar

Just a thought, I am currently making a pair of brass scorpion en-arm type things for wearing on the forearms, possibly for BD, but I need an answer to a question;

Do male dancers wear jewellery, do any of the dancers here wear jewellery, and are you specific about what you wear ?

If males wear jewellery, what type of BD is it most common ?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I wear it all; necklaces, various bangles, bracelets, "arm things", belly drapes, anklets, bindis, tikkas, etc, etc, and most especially earrings (I'm "well known" for my earring collection, even among the mundanes.)!

I'm a cabaret dancer - so jewelry is pretty much expected. I also recently was invited to join a (very) folkloric/tribal troupe - and wear about 50 pounds of "heavy metal" jewelry for that.

Wear what you like and what you're comfortable with. Cultural absolutists (pick a culture) may decry it, but horses for courses as they say.

Tarik wouldn't be caught dead in some of my jewelry, but I'm pretty sure he does wear some.

Go to my links page, and visit some of the other male dancer's webpages if you want to see what others are doing - some do, some don't.

As for arm-bands and similar - they are among the most culturally "masculine" items...

Last edited:

khanjar

Well, am going to see what is available for dancers this weekend, as I am going to a place where there is a suq for dance wear and related items, from what am told, mainly tribal and traditional(?).

The en arm thingies am making, they were planned long before I got back into dance and have made spiral snake armlets for the upper arms before, they are nasty to wear, I get that sort of trapped feeling wearing them, I gave them away pdq.

Because of my other interests, that of metalsmithing and photography, I see dance bringing the whole lot together and my exposure to BD, inspires many new ideas in jewellery.