How to quote and respond multiple times...

karena

I've noticed people don't always know how to quote some and respond multiple times, and as this has caused confusion on tone recently, I thought it might be useful to explain.

(Apologies if this is somewhere else, I couldn't find it)

15th from the left or 5th from the right on the second row of icons above our message box is a button that look like a speech bubble with text in it. If you highlight some text, and then click this button it turn it into a quote.

Like this

On your screen it will look like this

['QUOTE]Like this[/QUOTE]

without the ' at the beginning (this is so I can show the code)

To say who it is, add in = and the user name, no spaces (that is important)

Karena said:
Like this

['QUOTE=Karena]Like this[/QUOTE]

When you first click on quote it will put this code at the beginning and end of the quoted section. What I do, is to delete the code off, then whenever I want to reply to a particular section, hit return a few times and write what I want to say, and the code the sections around it. So...

karena said:
Shakira rocks

Not she doesn't

karena said:
She is the best BDer ever

I don't think so

['QUOTE=karena]Shakira rocks[/QUOTE]

Not she doesn't

['QUOTE=karena]She is the best BDer ever[/QUOTE]

I don't think so

You can also do multiple people, so:

karena said:
Shakira rocks

Not she doesn't

ShakirasBiggestFan said:
She is the best BDer ever

I don't think so

['QUOTE=karena]Shakira rocks[/QUOTE]

Not she doesn't

['QUOTE=ShakirasBiggestFan]She is the best BDer ever[/QUOTE]

I don't think so

I hope that makes sense, if not just say and I can try and explain better...

Ariadne

There is another way if you want to keep the post reference attached to the quote that I use frequently.

I will take a quote:

[ QUOTE=karena;116024 ]I've noticed people don't always know how to quote some and respond multiple times, and as this has caused confusion on tone recently, I thought it might be useful to explain.

15th from the left or 5th from the right on the second row of icons above our message box is a button that look like a speech bubble with text in it. If you highlight some text, and then click this button it turn it into a quote. [ /QUOTE ]
the code in the front looks like this [ QUOTE=karena;116024 ] (minus the spaces) and at the end is this [ /QUOTE ]. I will copy the first part ([ QUOTE=karena;116024 ]) and place it in the quote everywhere I want to start a new section:

[ QUOTE=karena;116024 ]I've noticed people don't always know how to quote some and respond multiple times, and as this has caused confusion on tone recently, I thought it might be useful to explain.

[ QUOTE=karena;116024 ](Apologies if this is somewhere else, I couldn't find it)

[ QUOTE=karena;116024 ]15th from the left or 5th from the right on the second row of icons above our message box is a button that look like a speech bubble with text in it. If you highlight some text, and then click this button it turn it into a quote. [ /QUOTE ]​

Then I will copy (or just write) the end quote, [/QUOTE] at the end of each quote:

[ QUOTE=karena;116024 ]I've noticed people don't always know how to quote some and respond multiple times, and as this has caused confusion on tone recently, I thought it might be useful to explain.[ /QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE=karena;116024 ](Apologies if this is somewhere else, I couldn't find it)[ /QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE=karena;116024 ]15th from the left or 5th from the right on the second row of icons above our message box is a button that look like a speech bubble with text in it. If you highlight some text, and then click this button it turn it into a quote. [ /QUOTE ]​

Once the spaces I have added to the code is removed you get this:

I've noticed people don't always know how to quote some and respond multiple times, and as this has caused confusion on tone recently, I thought it might be useful to explain.

15th from the left or 5th from the right on the second row of icons above our message box is a button that look like a speech bubble with text in it. If you highlight some text, and then click this button it turn it into a quote.
... and the post links are retained.

gisela

Super Moderator
I just reviewed this info and thought it was very useful so wanted to bump it up for newcomers or just anyone who forgot :)

Amulya

Some forums have a quote+ button: you can click multiple posts with that button and it will automatically generate multiple quotes for you.

DancersDad

Wow. I've always wondered how to do that when I see posts where people have commented with multiple quotes but never knew how. I think I understand the process from the above description, though, I'll be honest . . . these things (computers) aren't much more than glorified typewriters to me! I am definately not the most computer conversant individual around. :( Usually when I've wanted to comment on just a section of a post I just gave up on it and didn't comment because of my lack of knowlege. Thanks for bumping this and making it a sticky. I am sure I'll be referring back to it repeatedly (maybe every day??) :) Take care.

dus'