to challenge or not to challenge?

da Sage

I think in this case with the Jillina choreography, it sounds too similar to be unconscious. Although many people will choreograph the same moves to the same parts, just because it sounds right. And people who've seen one performance, may unintentionally copy when they choreograph for themselves.

Our school's theater group brought a local dancer in to choreograph a number to a song called "Mata Hari". Seven years later, I was working with a little local opera company, and she was called in again to choreograph to the same song (among others). Many parts of the choreography were the same, and I told her so...she had completely forgotten that she'd choreographed it before until I reminded her!:lol:

So I think a little bit of leeway is fine, but two Jillina choreographies in a row and no credit? Not so cool.:(

Aniseteph

No, not cool. And you look really lame when people realise.

To me here's something faintly rip-offy about teaching something that's been taught on an instructional DVD, especially if you don't tell your students. Maybe if you admit it: "Look, choreography is not my forte so we are going to work on this dance from so&so's DVD, buy it and practice if you like etc etc...".

But otherwise not only do you get out of making a choreography, you even get Jillina showing you how to teach it. Unless you are a super fab teacher adding lots of extra, what exactly are the students paying for?

On topic... dunno if I'd challenge it outright but I'd be reisting the urge to drop very heavy I-know-what-you're-doing hints. :shok: ;)

Last edited: