Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rules of beledi

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Marya - there's an American version of beledi? *is confused*

How does that work? Do you mean that they're dancing to beledi music but not dancing beledi dance?

Tarik, i think i understand what you and Caro mean - can you direct us to any videos for a visual reference?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mya View Post
    Thanks Marya - there's an American version of beledi? *is confused*

How does that work? Do you mean that they're dancing to beledi music but not dancing beledi dance?

Tarik, i think i understand what you and Caro mean - can you direct us to any videos for a visual reference?
    Hi Maya,

I guess I was a little confusing, sorry about that.

I am not sure that the American style I was thinking of could strictly be called Beledi, but it is frequently referred to as Taxsim, the improvisational music section of a 7 or 5 part performance so in a way it fits the definition as Belidi in Ranya Renees video but the music in an American style performance may not necessarily be Egyptian.

I have not seen it but I am sure that it happens, that a American performer might use Egyptian Beledi music for their American Style BD and include some floor work.

Marya

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kayshier View Post
    we have passa passa in trinidad.
    but lets not detract from the thread though

tarik would the floor work you speak about be similar to your shisha dance?
    Yes. I got most of what I was doing there from my friend Osman from Luxor

Here's Aida Noor doing her thing with the shamadan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik Sultan View Post
    Yes. I got most of what I was doing there from my friend Osman from Luxor

Here's Aida Noor doing her thing with the shamadan

awww Aida... my butt still hurts from trying to do the shimmying circle lol.
    but finaly got it, now if I ever do it? not sure lol

Dear Tarik when you explained how you have seen egyptian style floorwork, (i've seen it also) I want just to tell all, that its 100% same with the old style greek chifteteli style for floorwork.

kissessssssss

Post Thanks / Like

This is another Aida Nour's floor work. This video is NOT only her, and she did very short in this clip. Look at around 5:35 on this clip. She did floor work witout shamadan or any object on her head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maria_Aya View Post
    awww Aida... my butt still hurts from trying to do the shimmying circle lol.
    but finaly got it, now if I ever do it? not sure lol

Dear Tarik when you explained how you have seen egyptian style floorwork, (i've seen it also) I want just to tell all, that its 100% same with the old style greek chifteteli style for floorwork.

kissessssssss
    I can't do it. I don't have a butt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pirika Repun View Post
    This is another Aida Nour's floor work. This video is NOT only her, and she did very short in this clip. Look at around 5:35 on this clip. She did floor work witout shamadan or any object on her head.

That 'floorwork' is Aidas party piece and it is fairly unique to her.

Most of the time this sort of stuff is seen in shows outside of Egypt.

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen any type of floor work in Egypt (live)which was not at an international belly dance festival?

I have seen some instances on clips of Shaabi dancers and Cameila briefly with a shamadan, but to me this is not really what I would class as floor work.. which brings me nicely to my next question... how do you personally define floorworK?

For me it is an intergral part of the dance (not a novelty party piece) like in Turkish and Amcab.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    That 'floorwork' is Aidas party piece and it is fairly unique to her.

Most of the time this sort of stuff is seen in shows outside of Egypt.

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen any type of floor work in Egypt (live)which was not at an international belly dance festival?

I have seen some instances on clips of Shaabi dancers and Cameila briefly with a shamadan, but to me this is not really what I would class as floor work.. which brings me nicely to my next question... how do you personally define floorworK?

For me it is an intergral part of the dance (not a novelty party piece) like in Turkish and Amcab.
    I said before that you won't find that kind of floor work in Egypt. The only thing you may find is the kind of thing Aida and Osman did. By the way, that wiggle thing is not unique to Aida. Its something you find in real social dancing, she's just the only one whose done it in a formal performance that I'm aware of.

As far as I know, floorwok is illegal for nightclub dancers in Egypt. Negwa was able to get away with it once because she did a tableaux set in Ottoman times. All she did was lay on her side and wave her hand around, no backbends, or anything like what you see in Turkey and Lebanon.

Post Thanks / Like

Tes, this is exactly how I understood it.

I have seen some dodgy things done on the floor as part of an act but not quite like A'idas were she does a full turn shimmying on her backside. I am sure it is like you said though, it is unlikely she invented it.
    Last edited by Caroline_afifi; 05-20-2009 at 06:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik Sultan View Post
    By the way, that wiggle thing is not unique to Aida. Its something you find in real social dancing, she's just the only one whose done it in a formal performance that I'm aware of.
    Now Tito is doing too. He does on the tabla (sit on the tabla), edge of the stage, and on the stage, and I'm sure he got from Aida.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast