Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rules of beledi

Post Thanks / Like

And Khaled does it with the drum too... they are all at it!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    Tes, this is exactly how I understood it.

I have seen some dodgy things done on the floor as part of an act but not quite like A'idas were she does a full turn shimmying on her backside. I am sure it is like you said though, it is unlikely she invented it.
    At one of her workshops I'm pretty sure she said it was part of the old style awalim dance - which was one of the styles she says she has researched.

Post Thanks / Like

I found Aida's video that her WS on Nile Group Nov. 2008.

She started and finish dance from floor, not not rolling on the floor. Just take a look... I still learn about music, but I think this is baladi right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pirika Repun View Post
    I found Aida's video that her WS on Nile Group Nov. 2008.

She started and finish dance from floor, not not rolling on the floor. Just take a look... I still learn about music, but I think this is baladi right?

Music isn't Baladi. This is the kind of floor work that Nagwa Fouad did in her routine back in the 1970's. Morocco has it on one of her DVDs of Egyptian Dance Stars that was taken back then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik Sultan View Post
    Music isn't Baladi. This is the kind of floor work that Nagwa Fouad did in her routine back in the 1970's. Morocco has it on one of her DVDs of Egyptian Dance Stars that was taken back then.
    OK. Then what kind of music is this? Also it's common to do floor work with this kind of music, or only Nagwa did back in 70s? If Aida teaches Naguwa's floor wrok routine now, does any other dancers perform or teach also? If some famous star dancers like Naguwa did floor work, why not many people copy or perform it? What is the real reason not Egyptian dancers don't do floor work? Some say floor is durty, but then why only shamadan? So many questions just come up...

Post Thanks / Like

mmmm...

Sometimes the search to keep things 'new' takes us nowhere.

I have the Nagwa fouad video and at this time she was experimenting with many things including dancing through hoops and jumping out of cakes (ala Asmahan).

It sounds a bit vague saying dance of the 'awalim'.

There are old Egyptian films set in the era of Haroun El Rachid where the dancers did the fancy floorwork, but it is unlikely the dance elements were based on any real dance anthroplogy or history.

Some people in Egypt believe that anything in an old film is a real account of what was happening in the past. This can only be relevant where the film was portraying the period in which it was made (like any film made in any country).

Floor stuff is still used in some Shaabi clubs but never seen it done like this..
    The leg split thing I saw recently when the dancer was balancing beer bottles on her head.

The style of this is very much like Khaleds Mahmouds (minus the floor embellishment)

The music is Shaabi (Mohammed Rushdi me thinks).

I see things done in international festivals which I have never seen performed in Egypt.

Post Thanks / Like

mmmm...

Sometimes the search to keep things 'new' takes us nowhere.
    i keep wondering if i am over thinking or over analysing things sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kayshier View Post
    i keep wondering if i am over thinking or over analysing things sometimes.
    I think we need to go through this process to know what is what to some degree.

I was more thinking about what teachers in Egypt are producing.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds a bit vague saying dance of the 'awalim'.
    Aida was working through an interpretor then - her English is much better now. My memory was that she meant it was pre-Badia - or at least pre-raqs sharqi style ie Egyptian belly dance before it was updated by Badia et al.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    Aida was working through an interpretor then - her English is much better now. My memory was that she meant it was pre-Badia - or at least pre-raqs sharqi style ie Egyptian belly dance before it was updated by Badia et al.
    Ok, this sort of makes sense.

It is definately an interpretation of what might have been performed in the past (??) to modern day Shaabi music.

Like I said, many Egyptian films set in the past have very 'fantasy' based scenes of dance too. It is difficu;t to really know what was what.

I suppose we only really have written accounts of what might have been done then.

I know the were some written avvounts of the Ghawazee performing floor tricks with props etc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast