Colored hair and dance.

AoIronoHana

To sound completely strange (;P) I had a dream last night that i dyed my hair pink and purple. This made me want to dye my hair crazy colors. (i used to have purple hair XD) Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think about belly dancers and wild hair colors? I know a lot of people don't even like the thought of oddly colored hair in the first place...

:dance:

Kharmine

Depends on your venue and the rest of your costume, IMHO. Might be a great idea for a nightclub with an open attitude, but out of place for a more traditional ME-style restaurant.

Like tattos and body piercings, wild hair color can be visually distracting, if not outright jarring. You'd have to make sure it "goes" with your whole presentation.

That said, it sounds like fun, and when you can get easily removable colors to enjoy a little novelty, why not?

da Sage

Personally, I love "unnatural" hair colors! I used to do mine all the time, and I know several dancers with brightly colored hair. If you have a traditional restaurant job, or get gigs through an agency, it may cause problems - you could lose your job. But if you are an amateur, who cares? Please yourself, because you can't be sure of pleasing everyone else.:cool:

You may want to keep some emergency hair color on hand. I once had to turn down a temp assignment because my hair turned out bright pink instead of a nice reddish tint.:shok: I didn't want to go and have them report to the agency that I was OK except for the crazy hair (at the time I was getting the plum assignments, and I wanted to keep it that way!), and I couldn't fix it right away because the beauty supply store was closed until the next morning.:mad: From then on, I've always had a cover-up ready just in case!

alosha

I used to have every-color-under-the-sun hair, but it was hard to get jobs, and the like. So I started making my own clip in colored extensions. Problem solved.

Artemisia

Alosha, you mean all those photos with blond or pink streaks were just clip-ins? I never knew...I thought you had temp colored it!

shiradotnet

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think about belly dancers and wild hair colors?

I used to have a student whose hair color varied with her mood. Sometimes royal blue, sometimes tomato red, etc. I thought it was great! I was always fine with her performing in our student recitals that way with her hair color, and it was fun to see her come up with costumes that would harmonize with the hair!

I wouldn't advise expressive hair for someone aspiring to do professional gigs. But I think it's fine for student-level performances.

Darbla

I've got a workout DVD by Sera, and one of the other dancers in it (her students?) has a neo-Nazi, shaved-on-the-sides, a wide streak left down the middle, long in back, mohawk looking thing. Believe me, you can't do anything more distracting than that!

da Sage

I've got a workout DVD by Sera, and one of the other dancers in it (her students?) has a neo-Nazi, shaved-on-the-sides, a wide streak left down the middle, long in back, mohawk looking thing. Believe me, you can't do anything more distracting than that!

Wow, I had no idea a mohawk was considered neo-nazi style. Several of my friends have or have had mohawks. I thought the totally-shaved head was the neo-nazi style, although I know several people with shaved heads too. And none of them are neo-nazi (although one is more of an acquaintance and a real jerk).

maria_harlequin

Wow, I had no idea a mohawk was considered neo-nazi style. Several of my friends have or have had mohawks. I thought the totally-shaved head was the neo-nazi style, although I know several people with shaved heads too. And none of them are neo-nazi (although one is more of an acquaintance and a real jerk).

I didn't even know there were neo-nazi hairstyles.

da Sage

I didn't even know there were neo-nazi hairstyles.

There was a "skinhead" neo-nazi movement in the 90's, whose members shaved their heads. Then there were the anti-racist skinheads, who liked to fight with the neo-nazi types. My friend's sister was a member of an anti-racist skinhead group, but she (my friend) thinks it was mostly because they had better drugs.:rolleyes:

alosha

(my friend) thinks it was mostly because they had better drugs.:rolleyes:

Sharps usually do....

As far as the whole neo-nazi mohawk.... never seen one. But most of the neo-nazi skinheads i've had contact with couldn't shave a straight line...

tooqute2nv

Saw this image on deviant art, and I think this colored hair matches well with her outfit, and is a nice touch?

da Sage

Saw this image on deviant art, and I think this colored hair matches well with her outfit, and is a nice touch?

That's a nice shade (briefly considers dying hair again).

My dancer friend is coming off of green hair (FYI, green and yellow last FOREVER). She asked if she should go blue or purple next...I said blue, and then purple after it fades (both colors fade pretty quickly:(). The colors actually look really good with her high-glitz traditional bedlah.