Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

ok the first video really got me confused...I've never seen a bellydancing style like that. I've only got 2 years of experience under my belt but none of her movements looks crisp or flowing.

The second one looked a lot better to me but I still could not pick out a dance style. Do you think this is some sort of fusion of styles?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maylynn View Post
    Oh, BGT...
    These shows always remind me of a story a friend told me. She's a professional and incredible singer and auditioned for one of these shows for a kick. She blew all the others away and was told by the audition panel that she's great, but they're not looking for talented professionals - they're looking for amateurs that they can mould and make a story out of (hence the awful ones that make it through auditions). It's not about talent, it's about entertaining the plebs!
    That being said, I think Julia did that well. She's hot but had a modest attitude which in my opinion is rare, and she smiled the whole way through. Not a good bellydancer but not a bad entertainer in my opinion.
    I'm sure professional singers think much the same about the singers that get through, etc - it's not just us feeling frustrated that talent shows make our art look bad.
    I have to say that Julia performed like a professional, regardless of what we think of her dance style.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The media understands what belly dancing is?

Jim Shelley in today's Daily Mirror refers to her as lovely but "actually dull and not really a belly dancer" ooooer are the GP getting the hang of this. Yesterday the Sunday Mirror ( yes I am low brow if left wing) refered to her a jiggling Julia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    I just remember hearing one of the judges say 'we had hundreds of belly dancers at the auditions and she was by far the best..'

I wish people who were learning this dance just stayed well away from these shows.

From what i gather, most people who are good enough to enter would not touch it with a barge pole.
    Ah yes but then given how well young Sophie Mei has done out of it, why would you stay away, right...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by da Sage View Post
    I have to say that Julia performed like a professional, regardless of what we think of her dance style.
    My honest is opinion is a beautiful girl and probably a good entertainer by merit of her glamour. A sweet personality coming across and I can see, despite her not appearing to have a lot of belly dancing talent, she would look perfectly lovely and charming swervng inbetween restaurant tables.
    Best part of her act is an elegant drop..that I envy her

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eshta View Post
    Ah yes but then given how well young Sophie Mei has done out of it, why would you stay away, right...?
    Because it's been done already!

Why does everyone see something on that show and think that everyone wont have the same idea to do it next time themselves?

There seems to be the same formula running in this years show,.. male breakdancers, socially outcast bullied people who can sing, bellydancers and bizarre dance acts which turn into Micheal jackson.

What else have I missed??

If people like being humiliated as some form of kink then go ahead... at least you dont have to pay.

Post Thanks / Like

Because it's been done already!

Why does everyone see something on that show and think that everyone wont have the same idea to do it next time themselves?

There seems to be the same formula running in this years show,.. male breakdancers, socially outcast bullied people who can sing, bellydancers and bizarre dance acts which turn into Micheal jackson.

What else have I missed??

If people like being humiliated as some form of kink then go ahead... at least you dont have to pay.
    and the rest of us get cheaply produced TV and Simon and the Telephone companies adds to their shed-load of cash

Post Thanks / Like

I just remember hearing one of the judges say 'we had hundreds of belly dancers at the auditions and she was by far the best..'

I wish people who were learning this dance just stayed well away from these shows.

From what i gather, most people who are good enough to enter would not touch it with a barge pole.
    You know this has to be true... I love the show "So you think you can dance". It's formatted after American Idol, same creators I think. Anyway, every season some belly dancers audition and I've not seen one yet with... developed skill!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Salome View Post
    You know this has to be true... I love the show "So you think you can dance". It's formatted after American Idol, same creators I think. Anyway, every season some belly dancers audition and I've not seen one yet with... developed skill!

belly dancers audition for that show? really?? i was wondering acutally because to me it seem hip hop dominated.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast