SIGH..Britain's got belly dancing

da Sage

seducing men by asking them to go to bed :rolleyes:

Actually, that doesn't work as well as you'd think it does. A college friend of mine is very earthy and free-spirited. One afternoon she wound up asking several guys passing by for sex, and didn't get any takers. I think she scared them.;)

maria_harlequin

I guess the contestants aren't allowed to choose their own music at this point? :confused: I mean, there are so many burlesque dancers in the contest that it seems more logical for Lady Marmalade to go to them. At this point I'm wishing it was a Shakira song. Or Sting's Desert Rose.

Caroline_afifi

I just remember hearing one of the judges say 'we had hundreds of belly dancers at the auditions and she was by far the best..'

I wish people who were learning this dance just stayed well away from these shows.

From what i gather, most people who are good enough to enter would not touch it with a barge pole.

The lady in the black knickers was a joke and then there was the drag artist.

Ok, I know I have said this is a working class art but that does not equal tasteless and pathetic.

jenc

I think I have seen this lady's website before, with a discussion on who is she? Sheis obviously of the opinion that she is "IT". From the music section of the site.

"My art is about being inspired by exceptional elements from different cultures and merging them into a masterpiece" Although I think the album and other materials have been coming soon for a while

taheya

This lady is a nice dancer, she has knowledge of basic bellydance vocabulary, but there is no essence of bellydance there, the music is wrong and there is no cultural essence at all. As Aisha used to say, this dance is not just about a movement vocabulary- it is so much more than that.

lizaj

wow..is that lady marmalade? "would you like to go to bed with me tonight?"

ah yess belly dance is seductive...seducing men by asking them to go to bed :rolleyes:

Well she wouldn't have had much of a choice. I can't see Simon allowing Oum Khalthoum.

But come on if Dolphina says it's about seduction, it must be so;)

Kharis

I must admit that the only way I'd ever go on BGT is to glean publicity for myself in order to gain work as a teacher but not necessarily as a performer. They say no publicity is bad publicity, and it's true. So if this is the aim, then it's understandable. If the aim is to just have fame or 15 minutes thereof, then no, I don't think it would work for anyone. But I don't get the feeling that any of the individual bellydancers so far have been teachers. Apart from the Urban Gypsy troupe, who's teacher, I'm sure, this publicity did not harm at all but rather benefited her classes. And then there's the fun factor involved for the troupe members.

I'm seriously considering entering a troupe for the next auditions, but I need to actually audition and recruit 3 more dancers for the troupe who must have specific criteria...so watch this space....:lol::lol:

lizaj

I just remember hearing one of the judges say 'we had hundreds of belly dancers at the auditions and she was by far the best..'

I wish people who were learning this dance just stayed well away from these shows.

From what i gather, most people who are good enough to enter would not touch it with a barge pole.

The lady in the black knickers was a joke and then there was the drag artist.

Ok, I know I have said this is a working class art but that does not equal tasteless and pathetic.

You and I have both seen one dancer who was I am told was there and she most definately is better than the ones that got on air. She is pretty and young but obvoiusly was far too tasteful for Simon and Co.I would imagine.

Yes the best thing is to stay away but sadly most of the TV viewing public now think Julia is the best belly dancer in the country. Little pockets of folks who have seen better will be going yeah..whatever!:rolleyes:

maylynn

Oh, BGT...
These shows always remind me of a story a friend told me. She's a professional and incredible singer and auditioned for one of these shows for a kick. She blew all the others away and was told by the audition panel that she's great, but they're not looking for talented professionals - they're looking for amateurs that they can mould and make a story out of (hence the awful ones that make it through auditions). It's not about talent, it's about entertaining the plebs!
That being said, I think Julia did that well. She's hot but had a modest attitude which in my opinion is rare, and she smiled the whole way through. Not a good bellydancer but not a bad entertainer in my opinion.
I'm sure professional singers think much the same about the singers that get through, etc - it's not just us feeling frustrated that talent shows make our art look bad.

LittlePeach

I don't mind her really, I think she's lovely, charismatic and pretty (very Shakira...). But it is the lack of middle eastern beats, and relying so heavily on fusion, that makes me feel Belly Dance is being mis-represented. It's in danger of becoming more like a fancy-dress performance than a demonstration of her skills.
I wish TV in the UK was braver.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
ok the first video really got me confused...I've never seen a bellydancing style like that. I've only got 2 years of experience under my belt but none of her movements looks crisp or flowing.

The second one looked a lot better to me but I still could not pick out a dance style. Do you think this is some sort of fusion of styles?

da Sage

Oh, BGT...
These shows always remind me of a story a friend told me. She's a professional and incredible singer and auditioned for one of these shows for a kick. She blew all the others away and was told by the audition panel that she's great, but they're not looking for talented professionals - they're looking for amateurs that they can mould and make a story out of (hence the awful ones that make it through auditions). It's not about talent, it's about entertaining the plebs!
That being said, I think Julia did that well. She's hot but had a modest attitude which in my opinion is rare, and she smiled the whole way through. Not a good bellydancer but not a bad entertainer in my opinion.
I'm sure professional singers think much the same about the singers that get through, etc - it's not just us feeling frustrated that talent shows make our art look bad.

I have to say that Julia performed like a professional, regardless of what we think of her dance style.

lizaj

The media understands what belly dancing is?

Jim Shelley in today's Daily Mirror refers to her as lovely but "actually dull and not really a belly dancer" ooooer are the GP getting the hang of this. Yesterday the Sunday Mirror ( yes I am low brow if left wing) refered to her a jiggling Julia

Eshta

Ah yes but then given how well young Sophie Mei has done out of it, why would you stay away, right...?

lizaj

I have to say that Julia performed like a professional, regardless of what we think of her dance style.

My honest is opinion is a beautiful girl and probably a good entertainer by merit of her glamour. A sweet personality coming across and I can see, despite her not appearing to have a lot of belly dancing talent, she would look perfectly lovely and charming swervng inbetween restaurant tables.
Best part of her act is an elegant drop..that I envy her:D

Caroline_afifi

Ah yes but then given how well young Sophie Mei has done out of it, why would you stay away, right...?

Because it's been done already!

Why does everyone see something on that show and think that everyone wont have the same idea to do it next time themselves?

There seems to be the same formula running in this years show,.. male breakdancers, socially outcast bullied people who can sing, bellydancers and bizarre dance acts which turn into Micheal jackson.

What else have I missed?? :think:

If people like being humiliated as some form of kink then go ahead... at least you dont have to pay. ;)

lizaj

Because it's been done already!

Why does everyone see something on that show and think that everyone wont have the same idea to do it next time themselves?

There seems to be the same formula running in this years show,.. male breakdancers, socially outcast bullied people who can sing, bellydancers and bizarre dance acts which turn into Micheal jackson.

What else have I missed?? :think:

If people like being humiliated as some form of kink then go ahead... at least you dont have to pay. ;)

and the rest of us get cheaply produced TV and Simon and the Telephone companies adds to their shed-load of cash

Salome

Administrator

You know this has to be true... I love the show "So you think you can dance". It's formatted after American Idol, same creators I think. Anyway, every season some belly dancers audition and I've not seen one yet with... developed skill!

kayshier

You know this has to be true... I love the show "So you think you can dance". It's formatted after American Idol, same creators I think. Anyway, every season some belly dancers audition and I've not seen one yet with... developed skill!

belly dancers audition for that show? really?? i was wondering acutally because to me it seem hip hop dominated.

Kharis