Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

PS, just had a look at your website, and your rates for performances are really low. In most parts of the UK, £100 is the bare minumum price for a short set, and a lot of dancers won't leave the house for less than £150. Even when working through an agency (so the price the client pays is higher than what I receive), I don't really do private bookings for less than £100. Restaurants do pay less than private parties, but even for those then I'd say £65 is the minimum rate most dancers I know would settle for for a regular gig, and most would charge their private party rates if it's a one-off party booking at the restaurant.

If you're interested, there's a more in-depth discussion of UK pricing here: Minimum rates for UK dancers - interesting site

It's really important to not undersell yourself. If you believe you're good enough to do pro work, you need to have the confidence in yourself to charge pro rates - your rates need to reflect the cost of costumes, travel, training, makeup, plus the sheer amount of time that goes into every gig in preparation, travel and performance
    (And if you don't believe, in your heart of hearts, that you are worth those rates yet, then you might want to consider taking a break from pro bookings and concentrating on working on your skills until you are confident that you *are* worth it.)

ETA: your rates for weekly classes and parties look fine though
    Last edited by Roshanna; 07-24-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Very good advice Roshanna (rep for that) also for local prices you can ask your teacher, they might have a good insight on it too.

Post Thanks / Like

More on show pricing: It's normal to charge by number of sets and the overall time that you will be at the event, rather than the exact length of your performance. This is why starting prices are high and then rates for longer sets go up more slowly - dancing for 10 minutes is really no less work than dancing for 20 minutes, as most of the work is in preparation and travel not the actual dancing. For me, £50 is barely worth putting my stage makeup on for (an hour's work in itself), let alone dancing, and if I'm going to all that effort anyway I'd rather dance for a decent amount of time.

Most dancers will have a basic minumum rate (usually £100+), and then charge more for multiple sets, costume changes or extra props. Some may offer a small discount on their basic rate for short gigs that are very local and convenient. You also need to charge for travel expenses on top of that - the cost of your train tickets/petrol/accommodation etc plus something for your time. Most dancers also have a 'waiting charge' written into their contract stating that they will charge a certain amount for every half hour they are kept at the event after the scheduled end time. Oh, and most charge more for weddings and balls, which are likely to run massively late, take up loads of time, and be quite stressful. And New Year/Christmas/Valentines day etc gigs should pay at least double your regular rate.

There are so many things to take into account when offering a quote that it's safer to not have 'set prices' for these things but instead give quotes individually based on what the client wants and what your travel costs etc will be, and maybe give a few 'example prices' for different things.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back. I was also not around for the original thread, but I read through all of it to get a sense for what is being talked about here.

I have to say though, if you've truly learned a lesson and you truly regret having done belly dance the disservice that you did in the past, you will take advantage of whatever decent classes are available to you, as well as listen to Roshanna's advice on rates.

It's very important to continue learning, and it's very important to network with other dancers in your area and respect the area's rates so you are not undercutting other people's work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yame View Post
    I have to say though, if you've truly learned a lesson and you truly regret having done belly dance the disservice that you did in the past, you will take advantage of whatever decent classes are available to you, as well as listen to Roshanna's advice on rates
    Chipping in yet again to say, I don't know that much about the Kent scene, but I believe both Catherine Bartholomew (Sevenveils bellydance) and Ann Hall are in that area, and both of them are really good, respected dancers and teachers who I'd definitely go to if I lived round there

Junior Member angelwingsdevilhorns's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all of the wonderful information Roshanna, I really appriciate it. I know I am worth the money but I guess I just worry that people won't want a bellydancer if the price is too high around here. I know what you are saying and I have to admit I do sometimes come away with £50 and think all that work for that so I will certainly look into it. I guess I like to put things in simple boxes but not all performances are the same so I can now understand why there shouldn't be a set price.

As for travelling to London for classes I am afraid due to my partner being unemplyed for quite a while everything I earn with my dancing goes on rent, food and bills but I do know Catherine and Ann Hall (in fact that video was me performing at her hafla). It might be worth going to their classes so I can continue learning.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelwingsdevilhorns View Post
    Thank you for all of the wonderful information Roshanna, I really appriciate it. I know I am worth the money but I guess I just worry that people won't want a bellydancer if the price is too high around here. I know what you are saying and I have to admit I do sometimes come away with £50 and think all that work for that so I will certainly look into it. I guess I like to put things in simple boxes but not all performances are the same so I can now understand why there shouldn't be a set price.
    Oh, I totally understand that fear, we all get it sometimes. But even if you get fewer gigs, would you rather do three shows for £50 where you feel underappreciated and resent the effort you've had to put in, or one gig for £150 for a client who really values what you do?

In my experience, you tend to get treated better and appreciated more at gigs where you are being paid more, and just feel better about yourself. Plus if you do still get more or less the same number of gigs, you'll have loads more money for classes and stuff. There will always be some clients who say your rates are too high, but that'll be the case whatever you charge, and the ones who really want to hire a dancer will find room in their budget for you. The going rate is also actually pretty similar to what you charge for children's parties, if you think of it as a flat fee rather than an hourly rate (which is the right way to think of it) and I'm guessing people are willing to shell out for that

Junior Member angelwingsdevilhorns's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Yes I would feel better if I was earning more but I have noticed since I changed the price of my parties nobody seems interested. Although maybe this is due to just advertising rather than the price.

I also wanted to ask your opinion of Charity events. I am forever getting calls about dancing at an event for charity and of course they expect it to be free. Am I right in thinking that a couple of free charity events that can help with promotion is okay (with travel fee) and turning down the rest unless it is for a cause that speaks to you or something you are passionate about. I always feel bad asking for money for a charity event but then like you said all the time and effort that goes into a performance don't we deserve to get paid.

Hope I am not being a pain asking all these questions but this is kinda why I came back on here so I can get advice from other dancers

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up You learn by asking

No, no, not at all, you're not a pain! I'm curious myself to find out the answer to this one, since I love charity events. Never got paid for anything (I still consider myself a baby student), so I'm glad you asked this and all questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelwingsdevilhorns View Post
    Yes I would feel better if I was earning more but I have noticed since I changed the price of my parties nobody seems interested. Although maybe this is due to just advertising rather than the price.

I also wanted to ask your opinion of Charity events. I am forever getting calls about dancing at an event for charity and of course they expect it to be free. Am I right in thinking that a couple of free charity events that can help with promotion is okay (with travel fee) and turning down the rest unless it is for a cause that speaks to you or something you are passionate about. I always feel bad asking for money for a charity event but then like you said all the time and effort that goes into a performance don't we deserve to get paid.

Hope I am not being a pain asking all these questions but this is kinda why I came back on here so I can get advice from other dancers
    That's pretty much the standard approach to it. Basically if the other entertainment is being paid, you should be too (and that includes the catering!). If everyone is donating their services, donate yours if it's a charity that speaks to you.