Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelwingsdevilhorns View Post
    thank you very much. I will look into it much more. It was actually my belly dance teacher who told me about Egyptian belly dance being stiff, structured and framing the hips and i got the hieroglyph connection from the internet.

If anyone could help me I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you
    This is a really good forum for checking things out so you are certianly taking steps in the right direction by joining.

It is important to always check things out, and I hate to say it, but we cannot always take what we are told at face value.

I dont want to say 'your teacher is wrong' as i dont know how she may have explained it, but what you wrote is definately not accurate.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your message. I understand about all this and I know I have not been learning long but I have been a very quick learner and all I want to teach is the basics. I just want to give a small taster. My workshop would involve basic moves and then putting these moves into simple dances. Also I just want them to have fun.
    Exactly what have you been learning? From your website it would appear whatever it is, it is not "belly dance":
    The dance was used for different reasons in different countries. Africa used the dance in an erotic way where as in India it was used as a way to worship; with every movement a way to show their God how much they loved him. When dancers turned the art of Belly Dance into an erotic form rather than for worshipping they were banished from the temple.
    Where do you get this crap?

PS Belly dance is not from India. Indian dance is not belly dance.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you very much. I will look into it much more. It was actually my belly dance teacher who told me about Egyptian belly dance being stiff, structured and framing the hips and i got the hieroglyph connection from the internet.
    Oh god, you aren't learning from the dreaded Estelle are you? Please, if this is true forget everything you have been taught and find a real teacher - and a real belly dancer!

Post Thanks / Like

47 U.S. dollars for a 20 minute performance and a 1 hr workshop together??

don't you think that is wayyyy too low? no doubt you are way undercutting the other dancers in the area. you might want to check with them to find out their prices. belly dance may be a competitive business, but it certaintly shouldn't be destructive.

Post Thanks / Like

No performing videos, or WS videos? No performing or WS photos? Then how can you promote yourself? Also many people will read who you study with, but no teachers name? You also mentioned only TWO styles of dance that "Egyptian" and "Turkish" but there are Turkish Roma (Gypsy), American Gypsy, American Cabaret, Paranoiac, Folkloric, Tribal (ATS), fusion,and Gothic. How can you teach BOTH "Egyptian" and "Turkish" it seems you don't know the exact definition of styles?

Please study MORE about TRUE Oriental Dance (Belly Dance) before you jump into teaching or performing. I'm not sure about your business right now, and I also don't know how big or small Canterbury, UK community is. However, if you got only one BAD critique from one of your clients, it'll be spread quickly, and it'll hurt your business. Also like Eden said, your price is so low, and maybe you will hurt other business and again, worst case you will hurt your own business if you understand what I mean. Maybe you are upset right now, because most people against what you are doing, but please listen everybody who give you advice, because they KNOW what they are talking by mostly their own experiences.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maria_harlequin View Post
    Why would you want to start teaching so soon only after learning the dance for a short time? You may a be a quick learner, but when was the last time someone who was a quick learner started teaching something like ballet after a short while of studying? Or martial arts? It seems like when it comes to belly dance, standards for being able to teach has been lowered..
    I see this SO much

Post Thanks / Like

I've read your website, checked out your facebook and this is how I see it. Most educational facilities require more information than you've posted on your website. They are going to want to see some very strong credentials, even for dance classes.
    Second, the average person who knows nothing about bellydance would probably not be concerned with your lack of details about your background and would hire you just as a lark. However, if you really do not know your material or have learned things incorrectly, you will be doing the field a disservice. No where do you tell us, how long you have actually studied under a teacher and what form of bellydance you have studied. I noticed it said you are self-taught but what exactly does that mean? did you learn using DVD's or via some youtube video?
    For those who are much more familiar with middle eastern dance, you are way to vague in your credentialling to think about hiring. I see nothing about where you've performed? how long? etc.
    I realize you've picked up the moves quickly but moves are only one part of the picture. you need to understand the music, the phrasing, etc. Furthermore, it is important to know the history of belly dance and not just what you get off the internet. Its best to read various threads here, ask those who are most familiar with the history and listen.
    Please do not rush into teaching until you have more experience under your belt. We can do more damage than good if we rush too quickly into doing things.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

As belly dance is becoming more and more popular in the UK I have decided to set up my company. I have decided to take a slightly different approach. Instead of booking a room and having people come to my lessons I want to go to the people instead. I am sending letters to secondary schools, colleges, universities and also handing out flyers for parties that allow people to experience a 1hr workshop in Belly Dance so that they might feel different after or what to carry it on. I want people to experience the effect that I had from Belly Dance.
    You're coming from the right place with your intentions...but my advice to you is to cut your teaching teeth with private classes first, and not go straight into teaching for any local authority. Aside from the red tape involved, you'll be expected to know much more about this dance than you obviously do, and teaching privately is much more forgiving and will enable a more gentle learning curve than schools and colleges where it will be detrimental to you if you induce injuries or display incompetent teaching.

You clearly don't have enough knowledge and experience about this dance behind you here, and your naivete shines through. It's not easy teaching this dance...and anyone who thinks they can just teach beginners the basics without a firm grounding of technique will not get very far and can do more harm than good, particularly with kids.

Having said this, you do say on your website you've been dancing most of your life...and so you may well have a good grounding in safety, posture and anatomy, etc. If so, this is a good start. If you wish to make a living from this, then you won't do so by teaching in schools and colleges. The money lies in private classes, as local authorities are notoriously poor at paying good money for teachers of this dance.

How long exactly have you been learning this dance?

Post Thanks / Like

As Sara Farouk told us in a workshop.."Teaching beginners is the hardest.the most important" Makes sense doesn't it?
    I am sorry angel..... I know it looks lke people are out to burst your bubble but they are doing you and perhaps more importantly belly dance a favour.
    You need a lot more in your CV than 2(? ) years dance tuition especially as you are partially self taught before you start teaching and really your performing should still be teeth-cutting.
    There are teacher-training courses avalable through JWAAD and ASMED and you can always get prvate tutition with a respected dancer who will give you honest and personal assessment.
    Somebody has told you are good and you are probably very promising but they have also fed you with a lot of half-truths and rubbish. Go on a fact finding mission about yourself and this dance and enjoy being a student. Don't let anything anyone has said stop you dancing just let it be a reality check and deep breath and off you go! Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

You got some great advise in this thread, I'd like to add something: I see that your website only features pictures of you in student costumes. If you want to take this seriously you got to have some good pictures of yourself wearing professional costumes.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast