Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I read her qualifications. The only belly dance related qualification I found is that she taught herself the moves. She has listed no workshops, teachers, etc nor does she give any information on how long she has studied belly dance. Perhaps that explains her videos.

Post Thanks / Like

She has been doing a performing arts uni course - all about marketing herself - which she does relatively welll - Facebook, Twitter etc. I wonder if the teacher for that course is the one who encouraged her.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit to feeling bad whenever criticising a fellow dancer. Even though youtube is in the public domain, I worry when the person dancing obviously is not experiernced even if they claim to be professional.
    Being completely aware of my own capabilities..Ok with some aspects of the dance,competant at teaching basics and a reliable dance fellow, I know I am never going to set the world on fire so here I am criticising a young thing who may do things I will never - in the dance world.
    But it isn't just those who see her dance in the streets or restaurants( and she links to one that claims to employ the best known dancer in the UK!) of the UK who are being hoodwinked or getting a false image of the art form we all love to promote. If they are teaching, they are passing on bad practise but they will not be the only one here,sadly.I am also concerned that someone who might turn out to be a good dancer is wasting the time when they could be learning and getting better.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.youtube.com/v/ieHkK3N4X1k&hl

This young lady seems like sweetheart and criticim is obviously getting through if you watch this video. However to say that there is no good teaching around in the UK is not so. If you cannot get to a local suitable weekly class, you don't start teaching before you are ready....you go to privates ..say monthly with the nearest good teacher you can. I do hope "Meta" is reading this. The criticism you claim to be reading from overseas dancers is not the only criticism- it's closer at home and you are giving the impression that there is NO good dancing in the Uk.
    We are on the side of any girl or guy obssessed with this dance but we hope pennies are dropping and you get learning soon then you can pass on knowledge.
    Teaching beginners is the most important thing you can do. It's not a case of I am "only" teaching beginners..you are teaching them their foundation and without good foundations..where are we?..and that applies to houses and undergarments...and bellydance!
    Last edited by gisela; 07-23-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    Hey I killed this thread last time, so I'm digging it up again.

As someone who is about to commit novelty Christmas fusion (in the privacy of our hafla) and has been sewing the costumes ALL DAY , I was gobsmacked by this one.

ummmm..... she looks cold. Really cold.

Post Thanks / Like

holy moly what the bloody hell have i just seen....that dancing is terrible. I dont care if I sound a cow but those pants....crikey oh no its just horrible

Post Thanks / Like

seriously oh my god i have just watched it again and my cheeks are red hot....now i wold never slate a tryer but seeing as she will not listen!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizaj View Post
    I have to admit to feeling bad whenever criticising a fellow dancer. Even though youtube is in the public domain, I worry when the person dancing obviously is not experiernced even if they claim to be professional.
    I agree, and I was in two minds about digging up this thread for this reason. If this had been a student or even an unidentified dancer I'd probably not have bothered (OK, maybe a candidate for the TPBDC thread ).

But the outrage won out - I am deeply p*$$ed off to think Joe Public in Folkestone might think this is what belly dance is about. And beginner students...

I cannot understand how people can claim to love belly dance so much, then do things like this to it and use I Love It So Much as a defence. Points for wanting to give people the opportunity to experience belly dance, but IMO you owe it to the dance form to recognise when you are not yet up to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. The girl has not got a clue, has she?

There are people who can learn to dance beautifully from watching YouTube (or friends and family). Miss Metamorphosis, sadly, is obviously not naturally gifted enough to learn that way. And she's selling her classes to students who clearly don't know any better (not to mention dancing for the general public with a level of performance skill that is mediocre at best).

Most people can learn to dance if they spend enough time both in private practice AND in classes with the right teacher for them. Rather than focus on marketing, MM should make it a priority to travel to regular classes with a respected teacher. She might be the only game in town right now (although I doubt it), but bellydance is big and getting bigger. Next year a dancer with strong skills may move into her area and start teaching. Then MM may lose business, as well as get a reputation for being "the dance teacher who doesn't really know how to dance".

I give MM points for publicity efforts, and mega-points for being truthful about her training* (or lack thereof). She has integrity at her core, she just doesn't realize that she's hurting other people as well as her own reputation by the way she conducts business. But I really feel that MM should put new publicity initiatives on hold while she works on her basic dance skills. When I saw her Christmas performance, I was embarrassed for her, and it made me sad.

to MM: You do not need workshops. You need lessons. Regular lessons, and plenty of them. In the UK there is no excuse for not traveling (at least occasionally) to the best teachers - your whole country is what, only 600 miles long? And you have public transportation to die for - if you lived in Montana with 30 miles to the next town, *that's* isolation.

Also, if you want new friends and social time, you should go to the pub or join a club (knitting club, book club, etc.), rather than teach bellydance. Put the public ventures on hold for now. Or if you must teach bellydance, do so at home for free to the friends you already have. Maybe you can recruit one to carpool or take the train with to go to a real dance class.

MM, you could be a good dancer if you worked on the dancing part the right way. Would you rather be a great dancer, or just be a girl who dances where she can and also teaches?

*I've seen people brag about their multiple years of training, and whine about all the "upstarts", when in fact none of their teachers would corroborate the length of time they claimed to have taken classes from them.
    Last edited by da Sage; 12-02-2009 at 07:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re. the talking clip.

3.00-3.30mins.. this is the most important part for me.

I cannot do gardening, infact I am pretty crap at it and I can only do the basics.. and not very well. I am under no illusions about this, and have no intensions of publicly parading my garden with pride.
    At no point would I put myself in a position of 'sharing' what i have learned and taking money for it either, or building a sophisticated website which gives people the impression that I am more 'green fingered' than I actually am.

Re the performance at the Christmas lights thing.

Dancing and sharing for free amongst friends is great.
    Public performing is another issue.
    I get the feeling these dancing clips, public performance and talking to camera about yourself is purely about you.

When advertising yourself as a dancer expressing an artform from another culture, there is a much bigger picture to consider... an important one.

To be honest, I think you are running before you can walk. Whilst you may prefer this as it satifies something within you, I appeal to you to consider how it make this dance look and what message this sends out to everyone else.

This dance is not easy and accessible and far too many believe it is. Other people may look at you and think 'I can do that' and they too will set up teaching... the story continues and the situation goes from bad to worse.

I say this to everyone out there.
    Think long and hard about what you are doing and the message it gives to people.
    Last edited by Caroline_afifi; 12-02-2009 at 10:47 AM.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast