Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to let everyone know that the area this young lady is from is not a desert for belly dance teaching. In fact one of the best known teachers and dancers in the country is in a nearby town and there are other "qualified" teachers within a few miles. But this is the problem I find wth some students in the UK..if there isn't teacher within 10 minutes drive, then they claim they can't find one..so she isn't alone in her claims.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am afraid I would take the hard line on this... better to have NO class at all.

Sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm saying that if SHE tried hard enough she could find a class instead of bleating that there are no teachers near her.There are in Dartford and other parts of Kent!

I agree no way should she call herself a teacher and what...... possessed the good burghers of Folkestone to hire her to prance around to a religious ditty in a black bra and pants...I'm not even a Church goer and I was offended!

Post Thanks / Like

what I find very disturbing about this is the fact that those who have not access to the internet or those who may have no dance experience may have no idea just how bad she is. Sadly a lot of people (inc myself many moons ago) fall for the whole qualifications thing and some ladies who are thinking about lessons might think of going to her because she has a BA in performing Arts and they will just assume Belly Dance comes under this umbrella as a performance art and that she is therefore qualified to teach.
    Sigh
    There should be some way that people are legally not allowed to teach....can you get insurance without going on courses in first aid etc? Does she have these?
    You cant teach various art forms without decent checks. My father was a guitar teacher and had to have insurance for having people in our home. The things he got grilled on by the insurance companies was a joke.
    People could get injured by her, left financially out of pocket from paying for rubbish, others could get disillusioned and start lessons of their own....the list of consequences is endless. This needs to stop, people should have to take maybe some sort of written test or intervew on ME dance as well as some sort of teacher training before they can set up. It should be illegal!!

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, I am sure a graduate from a performing arts course knows all about insurance

Post Thanks / Like

The cheapest way to get insured is through the dance association MADN and they are now asking for proof of some kind of training although they previously went on recommendation, general teaching qualification and first aid qualification . There are community dance assocaitions who run schemes but how much of a check they do on belly dance technique I have no idea. Who inspects belly dancers..no one?

Not that training is necessarily the answer..you will go to great teachers who started before there was any! These schemes came along AFTER the most experienced teachers started.

Another point? So people trot along to classes in church halls and is teacher insured at all? Who knows? She may do to her cost.
    But I am sure a broker will find an individual a policy at a cost!
    The young lady in question seems to have done a lot of marketing and taken advice so I hoped they advised her on PLI.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    To be fair, I am sure a graduate from a performing arts course knows all about insurance
    I am an ex PA student and we dont know about insurance my a level was PA and my degree was theology/PA and my friends who did strait PA did not study insurance.

Post Thanks / Like

You don't have to study insurance - but i can't believe that you can take a Performance Arts degree which tells you all about marketting etc and how to be a performer doesn't at least mention insurance to be necessary - OK Maybe not then!

Post Thanks / Like

it doesnt tell you about marketing....it tells you about equity cards etc and you get a very short module on finding work etc and you create a portfolio on what youwant to do next ie teach by doing a pgce or act, theatre tech etc etc. The modules in the whole 3 years was

Directing
    street theatre
    a module called from the page to the stage
    playwrights

Stage Direction
    film vs stage
    Wrting module on play wrighting
    Contemporary dance

Theatre in schools
    a whole module on antigone
    Jazz
    Fosse

Shakespeare
    Media and Marketing (not how to set up your own business but how media affects pa)

Then I stopped and the last modules were on your portfolio which was reviews and a diary of theatre performances and then a performance piece.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by da Sage View Post
    In the UK there is no excuse for not traveling (at least occasionally) to the best teachers - your whole country is what, only 600 miles long? And you have public transportation to die for - if you lived in Montana with 30 miles to the next town, *that's* isolation.
    Someone I respect pointed out that this was an obnoxious statement on my part, and in retrospect I agree. I haven't experienced UK transportation myself, so I have no right to express an opinion about whether it's good or bad. I apologize for my abrupt and uninformed evaluation and pronouncement of the ease of using UK transportation and negotiating English terrain.

I do notice, however, that although M finds it too difficult to travel to study bellydance, she does travel to teach bellydance.