Metamorphosis Belly Dance

Shahrahzad

Does anyone know this lady. She is the original teacher. I see she also teaches something called "ecstatic dance" which seems to me to be a better description of Miss M's dance!
]

Ecstatic Dance is an actual movement exploration that was founded by Gabrielle Roth. Whether this teacher is using Roth's format or not is hard to tell since she doesn't mention her name.

lizaj

I have to report that "self taught" young dancer was a little stunner and one of the most promising girls I have ever seen. Great posture, good vocab of moves and lovely personality. So there ya go! We love to be amazed:clap:

Pleasant dancer

Perhaps things aren't working out so well. Times are hard for all of us. Or maybe she just doesn't get it (and probably never will, unfortunately).

I only came across this thread today and it's taken me some time to go over it all. I forwarded one of the YouTube videos to a friend of mine who sometimes doubts her teaching ability, just to remind her how good she is, so perhaps something good will come of it, after all!!:lol:

Darshiva

The next advertiser down is also a bellydancer, but with a much better costume & a blurb that makes up for the location. Interesting.

Caroline_afifi

I know this topic had died but I just stumbled across an advert for Metamorphosis Belly Dance while doing a google search. Is this a proper location to advertise for work?

Well... what can we say other than NO.

I didnt really partcipate in this thread other than to offer some initial advice.

I did think the dance display was less than satifactory as public representation of this dance.. but hey ho...not the first and wont be the last.

I have reached the conclusion that you cannot actaully stop people using this dance for egotistical and self centred trips.
You can only move forward with your own integrity and keep spreading the positive aspects of this dance and eventually hope it drowns out the Sh**.

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to say that I understand you were all correct in everything you have said. I didn't understand what Belly Dancing was when I started the business and that I was wrong. I can say that I had no idea about the damage I was doing to the art of Belly Dance back then but I am happy to say I have learned a lot since back then. I guess I just saw my teacher who we all just copied and thought it look like something I could do. Had I known that isn't how Belly Dance classes should be run I doubt I would have been so keen to start my own.

I remember doing that Christmas festival and yes it was very cold but I was invited by the organizers to perform for the Christmas show. I had no idea how see through my trousers were and how unprofessional my costume was. I am still making costumes but have learnt a lot more and I am always making sure if anything is see through. As for the Pole Twisters website I performed for one of their shows (although at the time I was a bit unsure as I didn't know what the reaction would be like) and then they asked if they needed me would I perform/teach. I don't think I have really ended up doing a job for them as I am still unsure about it.

I have watched many dvd's to learn about different parts of Belly Dance and have also taken many workshops with some great dancers such as Sadie, Aziza, Joesphine Wise, Ozgen and more plus I am attending a workshop at Shimmy in the City this year with Raqia Hassam which I am really looking forward to.

This was a performance I did this year at a hafla, the choreography and costume were all created by myself and I hope this video helps you to feel a bit better about me and my dancing Joanne Perks: Crying Angels - Veil Solo - YouTube

I am not saying I am amazing but I certainly have learnt a lot and it has taken me a lot of courage to come on here especially as I have an emotional disorder but I just felt that I should a) explain myself b) apologise to the Belly Dance community for showing the wrong image of the dance and c) to let you see that I am learning, I must admit I am enjoying dancing much more now I understand it and that it isn't just moves but expressing the music and emotions through this beautiful art form.

So I hope you will allow me to come back to this forum to talk as I haven't due to being worried that everyone would push me away or just laugh at me

Aniseteph

Awwww, don't be worried - welcome back, and huge respect to you for coming back, it must have taken some courage.

It is great news that you've found all those teachers, come on so far in your dancing, and see what people were on about before. FWIW I think it must be an easy situation to get into if you are enthusiastic but don't know what you don't know. There's not much in the UK to put you straight unless you cross paths with the dance community or other people who know/ care, and without a good teacher to point you in the right direction... :(

Again, massive props to you, and all the best in your dance journey.:cool:

Darshiva

Thanks for returning. Reviewing the thread, I can see it took a lot of courage for you to do so. :)

Your performance is quite sweet.

Can I make a suggestion for you? It's okay to not hit every beat & every note in the music. There's a point around 51, where you did this move that worked with the music, but the music had gotten ahead of you. In future, just skip the move when that happens. Nobody will notice if you omit something.

Be proud of yourself and keep working at it. You're doing fine.

Pleasant dancer

Welcome back. I think you were very courageous in your admittance of realising just what you didn't know then, but do know now (wow, that's a sentence:). !) We've all been there, but some folk never have the courage to admit it. You can learn such a lot from hanging out in forums, especially if you are open-minded about people's opinions. You seem to have come a long way in your dance journey, good luck!

gisela

Super Moderator
:clap:! It's amazing that you have come back here and that you've learnt so much in the meantime! Of course you are welcome. Your solo was really nice and there were some very pretty passages. Well done and keep it going like that :)

Farasha Hanem

Welcome back, and big BIG hugs to you for having the courage to come back! :D We all make mistakes---admitting to them, and most importantly, learning from them, is a sign of growth and maturity.

Your performance was absolutely lovely. You HAVE learned a lot, WOW! :D I wish you all the very best on your dance journey, and so glad you came back to us. <3

@Shan: Stop me, I'm gonna DO it!!! @___@

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!! ONE OF US!!! :D

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Yes, welcome back, I believe we are all very proud of the fact that you have had the courage to come back & admit your mistake, that isn't easy to do for anyone & it is lovely to see your progress. Congratulations:clap: I hope you'll continue to pop by from time to time:D
~Mosaic

Farasha Hanem

"Metamorphosis" is a perfect word to describe what's happened here. Wouldn't it be lovely (with Angel's permission, of course!) to change the thread title to "Metamorphosis Of A Bellydancer"! :D

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I must admit I went to bed last night after writing that post really worrying if people still didn't understand how much I have changed. It was so nice to wake up and see all these positive comments.

Yes Farasha Hanem that would be a lovely thing to do although I do not know how to change the thread title on here. If anyone wants to change it I am very happy for you to do so.

I will have a look at what you suggested Darshiva as I came back to the forum to meet new people and to learn.

Roshanna

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I must admit I went to bed last night after writing that post really worrying if people still didn't understand how much I have changed. It was so nice to wake up and see all these positive comments.

Yes Farasha Hanem that would be a lovely thing to do although I do not know how to change the thread title on here. If anyone wants to change it I am very happy for you to do so.

I will have a look at what you suggested Darshiva as I came back to the forum to meet new people and to learn.

The original thread was before my time (I'd only been dancing for a year then myself!), but it is lovely that you have felt able to come back and engage with the community. I haven't had a chance to watch your video yet, but if I could give one piece of advice, it would be to do whatever you have to do to get to a good weekly class (or take regular private lessons). There is no substitute. Workshops are great, but you don't get any ongoing feedback on your progress from them, and it's hard to improve or even to know your weaknesses without honest feedback.

Jo Wise runs annual 'professional development courses' (usually in about March) over a weekend in London, which involve a lot of personal feedback as well as challenging choreography and improvisation skills, which might be a good thing to think about doing if getting to higher level classes regularly is difficult for you. Or the JWAAD Summer School (which I'm pretty excited about right now, as it's next week!) is a pretty excellent opportunity to get some really intensive training and meet loads of other dancers.

I guess I've been bellydancing about the same length of time as you, and I do perform professionally a bit and teach a beginners class - I travel into London from Oxford every week to take advanced classes (which is about the same distance as you are from London, though I have no idea what the public transport is like from Kent), as well as taking weekly intermediate classes and monthly private lessons with a local teacher. I might bump into you at Shimmy in the City actually, as I'm also signed up for Raqia's technique workshop :)

Last edited: