Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to have a teacher who improvised EVERYTHING when she performed. She never performed choreographed pieces because she'd lose her place in the choreography.

One time I watched two videos of her back-to-back, made several years apart, to different songs. My husband commented that they almost looked as though she had created choreography and did the same choreo with minor tweaks to both. He was right! Now, I KNOW that she improvised both songs, but after 20 years of performing professionally, she had fallen into the habit of using certain step combinations regularly, and interpreting certain musical structures the same way every time.

Post Thanks / Like

So is it more common for dancers to do their solos improvised? (I'm talking seasoned dancers here, not newbies)

Post Thanks / Like

She never performed choreographed pieces because she'd lose her place in the choreography.
    God bless her, we are sisters under the skin.

Post Thanks / Like

My ITS group calls all of its performances improv. Even though the individual moves are set, it's just the order and which ones we use that are improvised. We also occasionally choreograph entrances and beginnings of sets. The performance we just did has a slow, 55 second intro. We could easily improv to it if it weren't for the possibility that we'd be cut off mid-move. For a better performance, we choreographed that small section to be a specific series of our usual moves. So yeah, it's improv, except for that bit that we choreographed.

I think most dancers dance the same way to a song one time, as they do another, even while improvising. And you can officially improvise to a song you've been choreographing for, but you would tend to do many movements at the same time, even if you don't plan to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline_afifi View Post
    A dance can have a structure without it being a choreography.

Most people who improvise have some structure in mind, at least a beginning, middle and end.

Some people do just 'wing it'.

If they are very skilled they get away with it, if they are not... then they looked like they 'winged it'.

Being economical with the truth is another matter all together.
    I'm near to Caroline's opinion on this.
    When I say improvise, its 99% to be a baladi instrumental piece with solo's from various instruments. I cant even think of doing a choreo on this, for me its wrong wrong wrong lol
    Now even when I teach a choreo in class, because I believe in personal aproach to the dance, i leave some elements out of teaching (the style of the turns, some hands, some musical parts (like a small kanoon session) ) for each dancer to be her self.
    In a workshop i teach strict choreo.

But if you have seen the same song danced in the same exact way... probably its a matter of making people excited that its improvisation lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    God bless her, we are sisters under the skin.
    3rd sister here lol
    I cant even remember my own choreo's lol, what can I say about others? he he
    So thats why when I dance, i may label it as : Inspired/based on X teacher choreo.

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

So for my solo, part is choreographed. The veil is improvised, and ad two other spots are also improvised. But I'm calling it a choreography. Is that what I should call it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alosha View Post
    So for my solo, part is choreographed. The veil is improvised, and ad two other spots are also improvised. But I'm calling it a choreography. Is that what I should call it?
    To cover all your bases, you could say that you choreographed most of it, but some parts are improvised. If you want to put a blurb in the program, you could say "Choreography and Improvisation by Alosha"

Incidentally, you will find some people who think that improvisation is hard, and choreography is easy, and other people who think choreography is hard, and improvisation is easy. I know one local dancer who IMO is MUCH better when she improvises than when she's doing a choreography (I know it was improvisation because I know she hadn't rehearsed with the band).

Post Thanks / Like

Do I actually need to specify? Cuz I just want to dance.....

Post Thanks / Like

Unless there's something you think the audience ought to know, why explain anything?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast