Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello- new to this forum and to bellydancing

Hi, I'm 18 and from Michigan. I'm half pakistani so I did a little middle eastern style dances when I was little for weddings and such, but belly dancing sounds like so much fun, anyone have any advice? I have a new baby and I was wondering if anyone knew of any videos to help me learn, preferablly online. Please introduce yourself name, age, and how many years you've been dancing. :]Thanks alot!

Amber

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome to the forum. I live in Australia and I'm a mother of 4 and grandmother to 4 ( the 5th due in August)
    I have reached 'wisdom's age - so they tell me) 60 to be exact and i have been dancing 5 years. So I came very late to the dance, but having said that, it is never too late to learn.

My advise to you, is to find a teacher if you can, I wouldn't really recommend online classes, get hold of a few good DVD's and take some classes if at all possible.

You tube has a few lessons, but from what I have seen of them I would be hesitant to recommend them, other than to back up something you have been taught in class. It is very difficult to get posture correct without instruction and also what you believe you are seeing online, is not that easy to execute and when you are not certain you can't ask the instructor.

I do understand it is not always easy to attend classes, but do try, even if it is workshops until you are able to attend regularly.
    Good luck
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi! well thanks for the helpful reply. I just had a baby so I don't have money for a belly dance class and I don't feel comfortable leaving my baby for a couple hours right now. I'm using the arabic belly dance videos on youtube, the fat burning and the basics videos. Until I'm able to get into some classes, this is the best I can do for now, but do you recommend any good dvds? I'm interested in more of a traditional middle eastern style. Plus I'm not so confident as it is, I want to get back in shape and know what I'm doing to some degree before I go embarass myself in front of a group of people. haha... ;]

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at this thread, it has lots of suggestions for instructional DVDs.

http://www.bellydanceforums.net/inst...onal-dvds.html

I can understand not wanting to leave your baby at the moment

As for embarrassing yourself in front of a group. I doubt very much that you would. we all have to learn and start somewhere, and yes it is daunting those first couple of lessons. As for body shape, the beauty of bellydance is in the fact that anyone no matter what their shape, age, fitness can and do take BD lessons. I am no svelt young thing, those years are long past. I dance with young girls from 16 to ladies ranging the whole gamut age of age groups. At 60 I am the 3rd eldest and we are all shapes and sizes.

I understand where you are coming from believe me, I know when I first thought about taking lessons I was terrified that I would be too old and not the right 'shape'. I finally plucked up the courage to go, feel in love from lesson 1 and have never looked back!

Don't let what you think of as 'out of shape' stop you, when you can find the time etc to take lessons go for it!
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)