Hello, new bellydanceforum member from the Netherlands

Rue Sailmana

Hello everyone!

One of my fellow dancers in Laetana's group advised this forum to me, and as to what I have seen so far, I really love it! So I would like to introduce myself.

I'm 25 and I have been bellydancing for several years now. I started bellydancing when I was still at college. With one of my classmates I started trying different sports and other things to fill our free time. When we came to bellydancing it was a direct hit! We started and never stopped (oh, well, I never stopped, unfortunately she didn't like it).

I'm not quite a superstar in bellydancing, but I love doing it. I only take lessons from Laetana, Carmen and Debby, and I have performed just once. Sometimes I wonder if I should be performing more, and doing more with bellydancing like giving lessons. I know almost all of my bellydanceclassmates do it ;) But then I figure: Naah, I just enjoy the dancing for myself. If someone asks me to perform for them, I would certainly do it, but at the moment I feel I'm not good enough to arrange performances myself and I would definately not ask money for it.

Besides the bellydancing I'm working as a workcoach for the government. I help people finding jobs and how to present themselves better, so to get a job more easily. I'm a graduated psychologist, and I would like to do something with that, I'm just not sure what yet.
In my sparetime I love themeparks, but only the beautiful ones (De Efteling, Disney, Universal) and I like to try new (crazy) things. I'm in for almost everything!
I'm also quite a nerd as I love computers, Star Trek and mathematical difficulties.

Well, I would say that is enough of an introduction for now.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum, You sound a bit like me with the dancing, I am happy just dancing/learning and doing the odd performance at local events.

~Mosaic

Elianne

Hello Rue,

I'm Elianne... I'm also from the Netherlands! Ain't that great ;-). I'm 18 years old and I started bellydancing when I was 11 years old. I'm in a demonstration group for several years now. We perform every once in a while. I think you should definitely perform more! It's amazing to be on stage. People see a side of you that they thought you didn't have. I can understand that you don't want to perform that much now,.. especially when you think you're not that superstar, but you know what... I would do it if I were you. And if you're affraid of being on your own... I read you have a lot of friend who bellydance too. So maybe you can ask them. From my own experiece, performing has given me lots of confidence. What I noticed, is that people like to look at it, especially because it isn't something you see often. And if you enjoy dancing, it definitely shows and people get excited to see you dance. And I can understand that you don't want to do it for money. Especially the first couple of times, I shouldn't do that either. If you're good enough, people want to give you money anyway, but before that... Take the performance as a gift! And I'm sure that you're very good at bellydancing ;-) more than you want to admit!

Rue Sailmana

Thank you all for your warm welcomes!

It is not that I do not dare to perform, daring is not an issue here. It is more that I am a perfectionist, and if I perform, I want to give them a perfect bellydance evening. I am quite a criticaster myself. And I am just not up to that now... Although the public would like it, I would not.

I will be performing today though ;)

Lots of dutchies here by the way! I will say hi to Laetana!

Yue

whoa.... so many dutch.... that's great :)
I should definitely visit your country someday....

A country of 15 Miljoen mensen ;)
Die schrijf je niet de wetten voor !!!

Amulya

Haha, apparently there are already over 16 million :shok: I'm glad I moved, I was getting claustrophobic hehe