Insurance (UK)

Erina

Hello I looking to take out insurance for performing and giving classes and have been advised of some such as with Equity, and Mosaic Mag.
Equity seems a little too expensive for me, and I haven't heard back Mosaic Mag. I remember seeing one dancer and on her links page it had her insurers but I can't remember where I saw it! :rolleyes:

Can anyone recommend any insurers they use, or what it is I need to look for. If I google belly dance insurers, obviously I get a mass of results but I can't sieve the good from bad!

Mwuah.x

candi

Mosaic run a great insurance scheme and very good value for money. You have to subscribe to the magazine and the insurance is renewable yearly every November.There is an insurance coordinater who can answer your questions if you look on their website
I've been insured by Foundation for community Dance but you also have to be a member and it is much more expensive.
NADA magazine are talking of running an insurance scheme but I don't know if this is still in the planning stage or not.

Erina

Thank you!
I have e-mailed asking about membership and insurance. I'd just like to have an idea of how much insurance is and what it covers... ?

Last edited:

candi

I'm sure someone will come up with the exact figures but its around £20 to subscribe to the magazine and around £26 (maybe more the first time you join depending on what safety qualifications you have) to join the insurance scheme.

Erina

Oh wow, that is cheap!
There is so much 'paper' work just to even teach :rolleyes: And I'm just doing it once a week. Crazy! :lol:

lizaj

Mosaic mag has the application form in the mag. Yes we at NADA hope to have the scheme up and running soon.
I think Mosaic is now enlarged to include performing as well as teaching.
You have to meet certain criteria- undesigned by a designated teacher or send in a tape of you teaching used to be the way but I think you need JWAAD foundation now or an equivalent. You also need First Aid qualifications.

Erina

Do all instructors really have first aid qualifications and insurance?

I'm going to do the Sports First Aid course with St Johns ambulance in a couple of months when it comes to my area; or is a 'basic' FA okay too?

And I've heard back from Mosaic and I am getting a brochure! Hopefully it'll be sorted soon. :dance:

Erina

First Response is a 3 hour course coverng CPR and other basics .

Unfortunately they are not in my area, but is a basic course such as that okay? I've done couses similar: on basic emergency first aid and CPR but I don't know where I've put my certificates (as I've moved house since!) I thought I'd need to get a more expensive sports course with like St John's ambulance!

But I'll look for my certificates and see if I'm covered! :dance:

lizaj

Unfortunately they are not in my area, but is a basic course such as that okay? I've done couses similar: on basic emergency first aid and CPR but I don't know where I've put my certificates (as I've moved house since!) I thought I'd need to get a more expensive sports course with like St John's ambulance!

But I'll look for my certificates and see if I'm covered! :dance:

St Johns seem to be in every area. They run the basic courses.

Erina

Another question, is public liabillity insurance the dancers insurance that Mosaic and Equity provide? Or is it a different type of insurance?

taheya

I am a member of dance uk and their insurance brokers have quoted me £360 for teaching and performing. At the moment I perform but have not yet started teaching but am planning too and have the foundation JWAAD booked for later in the year.
This figure seems huge to me- especially as really I only want it for performing at the moment. Can anyone recommend any other options??

candi

It mentioned in Mosaic magazine this time *coughs modestly*-the one with me on the cover* sorry couldn't resist a quick brag!!- that the MADN insurance now covers and I quote

"I confirm that the policy now extends to include the liability for members of the scheme dancing fpr payment in restaurants, private parties, WI's and the like, but excluding any theatre performances. Another exclusion is that work with lighted candles is not included"

Hope that helps. The MADN insurance is a really great deal.

I do shamadan so I have to have separate public liability to cover that, I use Towergate and its £360 a year for up to 5 million pounds insurance. Most places I dance in with the shamadan ask for that.

taheya

Cheers Candi..guess Ill have to cough up then- a show Ive been asked to do is in a theatre :( Why is it so expensive? Moan!! I would have thought that if I am looking for insurance for performing rather than teaching that it would be cheaper....wishful thinking I guess :confused: